Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete Helios Lens list anyone?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, No-X

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

Helios 81N / 81a 50/2 (N mount, ZA)

Anyone know anything about that one? I saw an 81N on ebay last week, very inexpensive, but not knowing anything about it and also not wanting to stretch my 'how many lenses did you get this month' karma too far, I passed on it.

Last edited by ChrisLilley on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.zenit.istra.ru/archive/lenses/helios-81.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: 600 US$ for Helios 44-7? Reply with quote

Hi!

600 US$ for Helios 44-7?

Does this add makes sense:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=%20200283657164

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it a few times. The lens is not common, but the price is exaggerated. SN starts by 00...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one that looks exactly like 44-3 here:

but it's 44-2. Nothing special i guess?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! It's really a special lens! It was made by MMZ, it was their own design and it was the last version of Helios 44-2, which was ever produced. What's the serial number? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Helios 44-2 MMZ Reply with quote

Wow, i am glad to hear that! Serial nr. 8826220 and the lens is in perfect condition. Please let me know the aproximate value.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's from 1988. Its value is not much higher than other Helios lenses has, because most lens collectors don't care about these lenses and this version is pretty unknown to majority of MFL users. It has a bit more contrast and sharpness, than other 44-2.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Helios-44 collector (lolz), I'd love to have this, but I wouldn't pay much more for this than any other Helios-44 (I might pay a bit more for 44M-7 MC). Your specimen, I must say, looks beautiful, though Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. I am glad i didn't give it away when i was selling other inherited Zenit cameras. I will consider selling or exchange it for some other lens, i am more photographer then collector, so...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just discovered a problem with early version of Helios-44-3 MC. If you try to screw the lens in M42 adapter, the focusing ring will touch the adapter and it won't be possible to screw in the lens completely.

I compared it to my 44-3 (1993):

red = surface, which should touch the M42 adapter
yellow = focusing ring
blue and green = different thickness of the focusing rings

As you can see, the older version has the register surface located deeper than the flange of focusing ring. It isn't a problem on Zenit cameras, but M42 adaptors and some M42 cameras don't handle it well...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
I've just discovered a problem with early version of Helios-44-3 MC. If you try to screw the lens in M42 adapter, the focusing ring will touch the adapter and it won't be possible to screw in the lens completely.

I compared it to my 44-3 (1993):

red = surface, which should touch the M42 adapter
yellow = focusing ring
blue and green = different thickness of the focusing rings

As you can see, the older version has the register surface located deeper than the flange of focusing ring. It isn't a problem on Zenit cameras, but M42 adaptors and some M42 cameras don't handle it well...

Yes.

I have the old one. What can I do to use it in M42 cam, the focus ring touch the cam body and not move?

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works for me on Zenit, but not on Praktica. I didn't try take the lens to parts and assemble it in a different way, but dismounting the focusing ring and reducing its height on a turning-lathe should be the easiest way how to "fix" it...

Or 1mm pad, if you don't mind lack of infinity focus...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

Or 1mm pad, if you don't mind lack of infinity focus...

Hi No-X.

Thanks, that is what I did.

I thought that was a lens defect. I called the seller and told him Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad . Embarassed

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your lens also from 1986?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Is your lens also from 1986?

Yes. N° 8617507

I found that the 44-2 continued to 1993, both (44-2 and 44-3) were contemporaries. One single coated and other MC at the same time?

I don't understand well the logic of the production. And you?

Rino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like Asahi had Super Takumars and S-M-C Takumars, MMZ had H-44-2 and H-44-3... 44-3 had better coating and higher resolution. It was possibly more expensive (price was 40 R.)

Btw. you have 44-2 from 1993? Do you have a picture of it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Some time ago, I posted a list 50mm Helios lenses. Here is my actual version (intent on M42):

[list][*]Helios 44 (35/14 or 36/17), M39, 8 or 13 blades, pre-set
  • KMZ
    • silver (similar to Biotar)
    • zebra (e.g. 1970)
    • black(?)
  • MMZ
    • silver - similar to Biotar (e.g. 1960)
    • zebra

question: is this version only m39 mount or also m42? because with photosniper i got also Helios lens that i believe is Helios 44
(little disclaimer: i'm talking off the top of my head, i'm at work at the moment so i can't check if my statement is correct)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version? The M39 silver with 13 blades?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Which version? The M39 silver with 13 blades?

version marked Helios 44 without any additional letters or numbers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's possible. I think another member mentioned existence of M42 Helios-44 a few weeks ago. I believe they kept H-44 name for some time, after they switched to M42, but it created quite a mess on market (if you bought H-44, you could get M39 lens or M42 lens...), so they renamed the M42 version to H-44-2.

Could you take a few pictures of your lens, please? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Could you take a few pictures of your lens, please? Smile

i will, when i get home from work

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Helios collection Reply with quote

If anyone is interested i would sell my collection of at least 10 Helios samples. One of them featured on the previous page.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting an early 44 with 13 aperture blades. How is it possible to tell which version of the 44-1 without seeing the blades (as in pics on efray)? Are they always silver?

Thanks