Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which MF system to choose?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Which MF system to choose? Reply with quote

I'm thinking to invest in a MF system, but I'm unsure which system would be the best choice. Maybe you can help me decide?

An important point is that I'm *not* much of a tripod shooter. So the camera should be perfectly usable in the field without a tripod. As far as I understand the Pentax 6x7 (while my 1st choice) would not be the perfect option because of the harsh mirror movement (that's why the MLU version is more popular). The Pentax 645 system would then be a better choice for me? Especially because the 645D will be for real in 2010.

My dream camera from when I was a kid is the Hasselblad 500 C/M. How would this camera do in the field?

Maybe I'm overlooking other systems such as the Kowa Super 66, Norita, Bronica EC/ECTL? What about the Kiev 88 and 60's?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget Kiev an P6 , most of them have trouble, hard to find good one.

I am more than happy with P645 lightweight works perfect handheld, cheap.

You can use at least four system on it. P6,Kiev-88, Pentax 6x7, and P645. I think Hasselblad adapter also available.

Ah "King of MF" (Larry) also have it and kept it even if he did try many others like P6x7 and Rollei 6xxx

Last edited by Attila on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasselblad is a square format (6x6), not the 645 and the 67, this is a different approach for me.

I always use my 67 handheld, I currently have the 55/3.5 and the 200/4 (I'm searching for the 105/2.4 and the 135/4, and the wood handle). With a 400 iso film, I find it rather usable, I already tested 1/125s with the 200. Drawback : it is a heavy, noisy (when I shoot with my Spotmatic just after the 67, I dont hear the miror of the SP Laughing ) and bulk system. But the bigger format allows great enlargings without grain, comparing to the 24x36 Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax 645 NII seems interesting and well regarded. I think Pentax really is coming out with a 645D, but it might take a while.

You can also use Pentax 6x7 lenses on it with adapter and those 67 or 645 lenses can also be used on K mount bodies (via adapter) if you want to play with them Razz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen and heard of the P645, it would be a good choice and especially if you fancy blowing the price of a small car on a digital back some time in the future. Smile
The P645 is dead close the to Mamiya 645 in terms of use, so in a distantly-related kind of way, I suppose I could recommend at least having a close look at one. With both, you have a choice, as Attila says, of several lens ranges.
I'd not bother with a Kiev, unless I was stuck and by the time you shell out for a re-worked one, you'd be better off buying a good used Pentax or Mamiya.
I can recommend a Pentacon Six, but many others wouldn't; I was lucky enough to get one that had been well taken care of and serviced/reworked at some point, so I've had none of the issues others have experienced.

I've no opinion of the Pentax 6x7, save that it's a big brute and I do fancy one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two P6s and one Kiev-60 (and a Kiev-6C on the way from Grizzlybear), and I would actually recommend the Kiev-60 over the P6s. As much as I love the look and feel of Pentacon Six TL, they're just too problematic, especially if you, like me, don't have the money to pay double to triple what you paid for the P6 to overhaul them.

The reason why I would recommend the Kiev-60 over the P6 is that the former has a bunch of the same problems as the latter, but because of their very simple make, they are fairly easy to service yourself. I fixed a shutter timing issue myself, and I'm going to crack it open soon to fix the overlapping frames issue.

Also, the focusing screen, WLF, and TTL prism are better (brighter/easier to focus) than their P6 counterparts.

With that said, I'm thoroughly enjoying the results I'm getting from my new Bronica SQ-B + 4 lenses I picked up for $400 on Craig's List. If what you want is to just get into MF, I think these Bronicas are quite nice. The reason why I can't let go of my Pentacon Six mount bodies is because of one particular lens: the Hartblei PCS 45mm f3.5 Super Rotator tilt shift lens. While it can be attached to a Pentax/Mamiya/Contax 645 body, the only 6x6 system that can accept it is P6. Since I like 6x6 for MF, I need a P6 body to use this lens on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! You have given me a lot of thought.

I must admit that I have owned a P6 in the past, but I wasn't particularly impressed with it. Yes, I also encountered the dreaded overlap problem Crying or Very sad So I got rid of it quickly. Also, the viewfinder, with the prism installed, was rather bad. I believe only 5x5cm was visible on the screen when I used the prism! Not to mention the flimsy film wind lever).

So, for now the Pentax 645 (N/NII) are definitely on the top of my list, but the 6x7 still sounds nice because of its size (size matters, doesn't it? Laughing )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking some time ago and Mamiya RB67 and Pentax 645 and 645n (not newest nII) can be bought for very realtively cheap. Almost all MF systems are full of quality Very Happy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a Mamiya 7? Relatively light and easy to carry... and some very good lenses available.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M7 is made of kryptonite, with the prices they're getting Wink

Bill makes a very persuasive argument for the Koni Omega, if RF is OK. The K-O is definitely not made of kryptonite Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Koni-Omega and Mamiya 7's defintely are nice cameras capable of outstanding results, but I really do not want a rangefinder camera for my MF work (at least not at this time; I already have a nice Zeiss Ikon Ikonta C 524/2 for that). So, it must be a SLR. Sorry guys...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
The Koni-Omega and Mamiya 7's defintely are nice cameras capable of outstanding results, but I really do not want a rangefinder camera for my MF work (at least not at this time; I already have a nice Zeiss Ikon Ikonta C 524/2 for that). So, it must be a SLR. Sorry guys...

BUT ! It has interchangeable lenses Koni Omega definetly a seriously good camera and it has all important focal lengths.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but it's also more rare (I haven't seen it often on the camera swap meets I visit).

Who knows, for a few euros I might do it. This sunday, I'm going to visit one of the larger outdoor Photographica fairs in Europe: the Doesburg fair. Who knows what I'll find there? Enough opportunities to find nice lenses too Wink

(Ed. - Spottie - please don't post big pictures here, thanks)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How lucky you are ! I am envy ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn fine fair, it's no fair Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Yes, we Dutch are gifted with nice fairs! Twice a year the well-known Houten fair (still the largest indoor fair worldwide I think) and once a year the Doesburg fair in August. (There's also the New Year's fair in Doesburg, but that's a VERY small one, not more than 25 tables; the August fair in Doesburg has 750 meters of tables full of photograpic treasures and trash).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Attila wrote:

Yes, we Dutch are gifted with nice fairs! Twice a year the well-known Houten fair (still the largest indoor fair worldwide I think) and once a year the Doesburg fair in August. (There's also the New Year's fair in Doesburg, but that's a VERY small one, not more than 25 tables; the August fair in Doesburg has 750 meters of tables full of photograpic treasures and trash).

Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Shocked

Believe me, you'll get used to it! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just isn't fair... Laughing

Aw crap, Nesster beat me to it. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh one more why I did pickup P645 size ... small enough to carry to vacation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, you have a pic of the P645?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did make it but I didn't find it Sad

http://www.kenrockwell.com/pentax/645/645.htm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a cool looking compact camera for medium format!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Wow, what a cool looking compact camera for medium format!

Yes indeed and think about Larry have it Wink I definetly would like to take a Koni-Omega with genuine Konica lenses , but for travel and medium format SLR I can't find better compromise. I still love my 6x9 folders and I will use them on travel , but I did fallen in love into P645 + CZJ Flektogon too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Andy selling a Pentax 6x7 set on good price..