Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[HELP] Bronica SQ-B full set. [DECISIONS]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: [HELP] Bronica SQ-B full set. [DECISIONS] Reply with quote

OK, hear me out guys.

I just picked up a Bronica SQ-B set. Consists of

Great looking SQ-B with BrightScreen, 2x 220 back, 1x 120 back, Zenzanon PS 50mm f3.5, 80mm f2.8, Macro 110mm f4, 150mm f4, 2x AccurFocus, 2x Lindahl Screen, soft focus diffuser for the Lindahl, Vivitar 285HV flash, lens hoods, WLF, non-metered prism, Flash holder/grip thingy, bag to fit them all, for $400.

I'm pretty sure that's a bargain, but I have a conundrum here.

Here I was stocking up on my Pentacon Six mount system. I have a pretty good lineup of lenses:

Arsat 30mm Fisheye, Hartblei TS-PC 45mm f3.5 Tilt Shift, CZJ MC Flektogon 50mm f4, MC Biometar 80mm f2.8, MC Biometar 120mm f2.8, Zebra Sonnar 180mm f2.8, and a Pentacon 300mm f4 that could be fitted if I get a hold of the P6 mount for it (currently has M42).

I have my assortment of bodies, too, which includes two mostly functioning Pentacon Six TL, each eith its own WLF and TTL prism, two broken Pentacon Six TL bodies for spare parts, and a fully working Kiev-60 with the TTL prism. I consider the P6 system versatile because it can adapt all the CZJ lenses and those lenses, in turn, can be adapted to all the 645 systems, like Pentax 645/D, Contax 645, and Mamiya 645. And I have been thinking about a Hassy-type body, so I had been contemplating getting a Kiev/Arax 88CM w/ MLU and TTL metered prism.

But today I see this ad for the Bronica set, and I just can't not buy it.

So, my question is this; what do you guys think of this system? I don't know if I want two 6x6 systems to deal with, but this is a pretty complete set; the only thing I'd really be missing is movement of the TS-PC 45/3.5. So one thing I could do is to make this Bornica my main MF kit, and perhaps keep the Kiev-60 specifically for the Hartblei and get rid of everything else. OK, maybe I'll keep the Flek, cuz it's so awesome.

The Biometar 120 is pretty great too.

Shit.

OK, so the other option is, sell this entire kit, make a few hundred bucks in the process, and get my Kiev/Arax-88CM.

Whaddaya guys think?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all that's included (and no issues?) it's a steal/no-brainer. I would
use both systems and see which one you find the more rewarding. This
is what I'm doing now with my 35mm SLR systems (and Exakta is one
I'm definitely keeping). The Viv 285HV flash is a great performer, I've
got one of those.

BTW, the 3 backs that come with this, dunno what they are asking for
on ebay, but backs for the Koni Rapid Omega are going for $129 and
up for the 220. Those are the ones that look in great shape, the ones
that look like they fell out of an elephant's ass are cheaper, but film
advance issues are a definite concern.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
With all that's included (and no issues?) it's a steal/no-brainer. I would
use both systems and see which one you find the more rewarding. This
is what I'm doing now with my 35mm SLR systems (and Exakta is one
I'm definitely keeping). The Viv 285HV flash is a great performer, I've
got one of those.

BTW, the 3 backs that come with this, dunno what they are asking for
on ebay, but backs for the Koni Rapid Omega are going for $129 and
up for the 220. Those are the ones that look in great shape, the ones
that look like they fell out of an elephant's ass are cheaper, but film
advance issues are a definite concern.

Thanks for the input. Of course, as this set was so cheap, I am inclined to just keep everything, but I've been on a spree lately and dropped near 3 grand on the new Pentax K-7 and a couple of DA* lenses; while I financed most of that via selling sledom used gear, I am still in the red and so adding another $400 on the red column isn't going to be received too well by teh wife Very Happy There's also of course the neverending space issue; the lenses and accessories for this are pretty hefty, I must say!

Ah, well, I have thrown in a Portra 400VC in one of the 220 back; I'll burn through that roll in the next couple of days and try to get that processed before I make my final decision.

BTW, all three backs look fantastic, as do the lenses and bodies. This guy, real nice guy by the way, had THREE, yes THREE MF kits that he'd rotate, and each rotation, according to him, happened around once a month for bar mitzvahs and weddings and such. Hence, it looks like most of the usage was indoors and studios, so the gear is awesome looking, if a tiny bit on the dusty side. It's a beauty.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 BUCKS????

This IS A STEAL!!!

I you don't want it, I take it! (Can you be my buying agent, though *g*)?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
400 BUCKS????

This IS A STEAL!!!

I you don't want it, I take it! (Can you be my buying agent, though *g*)?

Yeah, don't you think? How could I *not* buy it, right?

I must say, I'm really feelin' the equipment. I've snapped a few shots indoors, and lordy, the WLF as well as the prism are beautiful. Clear, bright, sharp, nothing like the crummy screen in my Pentacon Six :lol:

I would still appreciate input, especially on the glass that I got. I've seen images from the standard lens (Zenzanon 80/2.8) and they look great. I've heard the macro 110/4 is supposed to be a fine piece of glass. What do people think of the wideangle 50/3.5? And the portrait 150/4? Obviously the best thing would be for me to test them myself, but I can't really afford to do a detailed side-by-side with the CZJ equivalents, both time-wise and money (to develop) wise.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understood you the lenses are all the PS versions, right?

Then there's nothing you could do wrong ... and you will have to start searching for the Zenza-Fish somewhere *g*!
I woudldn't exchange an MC Flek 50 for the older versions buth with the PS this again would be a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can´t believe this!! I am searching at ebay all the time for some nice Bronica SQ-B for reasonable price and then comes a guy with this set and says "I´ve got it for 400bucks" Surprised Sure it is a great deal! SQ system is great, it is japan hasselblad, but for less money;) Only problem is non-existence of any T-S lens; for this i´d save P6. But if you do not come with good relationship with SQ system, let me know, for this price I´d take it in a second without doubt.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
As I understood you the lenses are all the PS versions, right?

Then there's nothing you could do wrong ... and you will have to start searching for the Zenza-Fish somewhere *g*!
I woudldn't exchange an MC Flek 50 for the older versions buth with the PS this again would be a no-brainer.

Yeah, they're all PS version, except for the 80/2.8, which is the PS/B version, which I guess can't do the T thing. I should be fine Very Happy

I think I'm being successfully persuaded! I can keep the Kiev-60 specifically for the Hartblei TS-PC lens, and maybe the Biom 120mm. I could sell my two P6 bodies and the Biom 80/2.8, Flek 50/4, and the Sonnar 180/2.8, and probably make more than $400 to offset the purchase of the Bronica. I could also sell one of the 220 back, as I can't see myself needing two of those (would've been better if he had 2x 120 backs :-DDDD). Mmmm, yeah, I'm liking this idea! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
I can´t believe this!! I am searching at ebay all the time for some nice Bronica SQ-B for reasonable price and then comes a guy with this set and says "I´ve got it for 400bucks" Surprised Sure it is a great deal! SQ system is great, it is japan hasselblad, but for less money;) Only problem is non-existence of any T-S lens; for this i´d save P6. But if you do not come with good relationship with SQ system, let me know, for this price I´d take it in a second without doubt.

Well, as I've come to learn, the great bargains aren't on Ebay; they're on Craig's List here in the US. Plenty of people moving over to digital and wanting to get rid of their great film gear, but aren't Ebay savvy (or don't want to be), and don't know how much some of the stuff can be sold for. Craig's List is where I bought my Zuiko 21mm f2, 50mm f1.2, and 85mm f2 lenses for $60 each Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
Well, as I've come to learn, the great bargains aren't on Ebay; they're on Craig's List here in the US.
Thanks for advice! I´d try to look over there; hope there won´t be problem with my place i stay at.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking over the equipment, and I really can't believe what I have here.

Like, the BrightScreen split prism/microprism collar focusing screen, goes for $280 new.

http://www.brightscreen.com/styles.html

BrightScreen AccurFocus (does 32x on the prism view finder for accurate focusing) goes for $350 new each (and I have two, one is used with some rusting, even, for some reason... maybe sweat?, but the other is BNIB)

http://www.brightscreen.com/accurfocus.html

The JustRite bracket w/ QuickReleases goes for $365 new

http://www.justritebracket.com/Pricing_Order_Info.html

The Lindahl Bello-O-Shade goes for $160 new each (I have two)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/30846-REG/Lindahl_311325_Bell_O_Shade_Hasselblad_CF.html

on top of the 4 lenses, 3 backs, WLF, prism, and great body. How could that be $400 total ???? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am green from envy Laughing Laughing Congrats!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...$400 for ALL THAT??? If you don't buy it, you'll be kicking yourself in your ass for the next 37.4 years. Take the plunge...Tell your wife that its' an investment in HER future.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glockman99 wrote:
...$400 for ALL THAT??? If you don't buy it, you'll be kicking yourself in your ass for the next 37.4 years. Take the plunge...Tell your wife that its' an investment in HER future.

Thanks!!! Already did!! And I am *not* regretting it one bit Smile

Already went through my first 220 (400VC) and the second one's already in there (160NC). It's a joy to use, and I've convinced teh wife Wink Basically, i told her I'll sell a few of my stuff amounting to more than what I paid for, and at the same time making room for the Bronica set Smile