Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean is that at those focal lengths they stop being a mainstream lens, that's all. Of course they are useful to somebody that is why they were designed and produced in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a macro lens isn't useful for me, since i don't shoot macros (yet) but if i could have one for 20 euros i'd buy it.
Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilguercio wrote:

I'm sure the 600 f/4 is in a different league as well but i wouldn't say it isn't useful to somebody.
It might be not that useful for you but i think the 1200-1700 would be a dream at 2200€ for some nature shooter.
Wink

For some, yes, but for a minority. For me the real photographic value test is this. Let's imagine this lens is widely available for 2200€ in stores today. Would I buy it? I wouldn't. It's simply too much hassle. Even if I needed a powerful tripod only tele, I would opt for something under 5 kilos, so that I have a realistic chance to take it places. This lens requires a sherpa in addition to tripod. Would you buy it for 2200?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
This lens requires a sherpa in addition to tripod. Would you buy it for 2200?

Hell yes, I see endless possibilities which outweigh the limitations of that lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreq wrote:
I'm back from the post office with :

+ Contax 137 MA Quartz that works perfectly
+ Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 T* in perfect shape

- $44.72 CAD

I'm happy Smile

Outstanding Shocked Shocked Shocked

Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
What I mean is that at those focal lengths they stop being a mainstream lens, that's all. Of course they are useful to somebody that is why they were designed and produced in the first place.

I could have used that lens nicely in a recent hike - the focal length would keep me distant enough from the Black Bears
so that both the bears and myself could be comfortable. That's a problem for me with bears - I really don't like to push
the boundaries of getting too close to them, yet it makes such a better shot if you can bring them in to fill the frame and
more. So anyway - for images of animals - this would be one cracklin' lens! I would even haul it along, knowing that the
bears would be around.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I could have used that lens nicely in a recent hike - the focal length would keep me distant enough from the Black Bears so that both the bears and myself could be comfortable. That's a problem for me with bears - I really don't like to push
the boundaries of getting too close to them, yet it makes such a better shot if you can bring them in to fill the frame and
more. So anyway - for images of animals - this would be one cracklin' lens! I would even haul it along, knowing that the
bears would be around.

Come on, you would be eaten by a furious bear if you had to carry that lens weight (+ suitable tripod) around! Laughing
Also, would it be that much useful? I mean, at that focal length the available breathing space must be super small, if your subject sneezes you have to recompose the shot. Imagine if he takes a step or two and you need to reposition your bazooka of a lens!

It is a really interesting piece of photographic history, no one can take that from the current owner of course but too specific for 99% of users. When you get to the point where a car is more suitable than a simple bag for carrying a lens... It's like I said, a different league.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
Laurence wrote:
I could have used that lens nicely in a recent hike - the focal length would keep me distant enough from the Black Bears so that both the bears and myself could be comfortable. That's a problem for me with bears - I really don't like to push
bears would be around.

Come on, you would be eaten by a furious bear if you had to carry that lens weight (+ suitable tripod) around! Laughing
Also, would it be that much useful? I mean, at that focal length the available breathing space must be super small, if your subject sneezes you have to recompose the shot. Imagine if he takes a step or two and you need to reposition your bazooka of a lens!

It is a really interesting piece of photographic history, no one can take that from the current owner of course but too specific for 99% of users. When you get to the point where a car is more suitable than a simple bag for carrying a lens... It's like I said, a different league.

Okay, okay...I agree with you! Shocked Your points are well taken. Guess I was just living a dream. Very Happy Thinking about it (this time)
I think a 300~400 lens would be very appropriate. And, if on a tripod I MIGHT get by with a 2X doubler if needed. Depends on
the degradation of quality, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Guess I was just living a dream. Very Happy

That was hungry bear's dream...Mmmm tasty, slow food with a tripod.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Laurence wrote:
Guess I was just living a dream. Very Happy

That was hungry bear's dream...Mmmm tasty, slow food with a tripod.

Mr. Bear better watch out for the steel rod in my arm when he chomps down. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Biggest bargains u have found Reply with quote

Looking for long time for Canon EX complete set, on local site kiji .ca I obtained complete set with the 35mm,50mm,95mm and 125mm c/w hoods all caps,cases & Canon D flash in a like new leather case which holds all equipment,the 35,95 &125 were never mounted and set is in like new and I got it for $80 Can. complete set( not in as good condition as mine) for sale on Ebay UK for 280 GP pounds + shipping,so I an quite happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58/2 T 1Q for 7€ Very Happy

While wide open it is clearly sharper than my Helios 44-2, the color rendition is a bit deceiving. Colors are pretty washed-out.

EDIT : actually, after performing some tests, it is NOT sharper at all W.O.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios 44-2 double 00 serial number in as new condition 2.00 GBP

Carl Zeiss Flektogon 35 2.4 mint condition 15.00 GBP

Vivitar series 1 24-70 K mount as new in original leather box (as new also) with manual 10.00 GBP

I am quite happy using them!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inombrable wrote:

Vivitar series 1 24-70 K mount as new in original leather box (as new also) with manual 10.00 GBP

Shocked Shocked Shocked Wow, congrats!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not recent but...

Post-war chromed brass Meyer Trioplan 2.8/100 Exakta mount in near mint condition for 50GBP.
Meyer Orestor 2.8/100 M42 mount in near mint condition with snappy oil-free aperture for 20GBP.
Meyer Orestor 2.8/135 M42 mount boxed and in near mint condition for 30GBP.
Zeiss Flektogon 2.4/35 M42 mount x 2 in mint condition for 45GBP each.
Zeiss Sonnar 3.5/135 zebra M42 mount x 2 in excellent condition for 25GBP each.
Zeiss Distagon 2.8/25 MM C/Y mount in mint condition for 120GBP.

Not sure if this was exactly a bargain but also a Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/180 zebra P6 mount with matching zebra P6-M42 adapter, boxed and in near mint condition with hood and caps for 160GBP.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
inombrable wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Wow, congrats!!

Yes my eyes were exactly like that too !!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlander Portrait Euryscop III F4.5 No.4 10.5"
$720.00, a good deal to me.
Hope to use it soon w/ my 4x5 Sinar f2.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggz wrote:

What is average price ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly certain, but the evilbay has them somewhere in $1800.00 to $2000.00
This one is in great condition too, I couldn't pass it up.

Attila wrote:
buggz wrote:

What is average price ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you had luck really, look forward your shoots, congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best "bargains" I have ever found was one of my bags: the Kalahari K-12.
It was not cheap (paid still € 33,- but instead of € 79,-) but it's an absolutely amazing bag!

Last edited by LucisPictor on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Not recent but...

Post-war chromed brass Meyer Trioplan 2.8/100 Exakta mount in near mint condition for 50GBP.
Meyer Orestor 2.8/100 M42 mount in near mint condition with snappy oil-free aperture for 20GBP.
Meyer Orestor 2.8/135 M42 mount boxed and in near mint condition for 30GBP.
Zeiss Flektogon 2.4/35 M42 mount x 2 in mint condition for 45GBP each.
Zeiss Sonnar 3.5/135 zebra M42 mount x 2 in excellent condition for 25GBP each.
Zeiss Distagon 2.8/25 MM C/Y mount in mint condition for 120GBP.

Not sure if this was exactly a bargain but also a Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/180 zebra P6 mount with matching zebra P6-M42 adapter, boxed and in near mint condition with hood and caps for 160GBP.

Wow! Where do you shop? Flea market?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: I dare not tell the wife but... Reply with quote

... I had to share my good fortune with someone!

I just picked up a bag of the following bits for £50. Bought because there was a (cosmetically challenged) CZJ Flektogon 35 included.

- Zenit E (Moshva 80 version)
- Praktica LTL3
- Pentax MG
- SMC Pentax M 1:2 50mm
- Helios 44-2
- Vivitar 28 -70mm 1:3.5 - 4.8 MC Zoom
- Paragon 300mm f5.6
- Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm 2.4 ! Very Happy
- Zeiss Jena Pancolar Auto 1.8/80 MC !!! Shocked

The Flek looks as if it has been dropped. It rattles - a kind of clunky thud - like a set of elements might be lose? I will open it up this weekend and tighten it up. A couple of dings on the front thread means it wont be having any filters on it unless I can find a way of straightening them out (Any suggestions are welcome) But, a few test shots have shown me why they are so highly regarded. GORGEOUS colours and very sharp.

I was not aware of the the Pancolar 80 and bought this lot just for the Flektogon. So imagine my surprise when I shoved this on the front of my 500D! It's in mint condition. No cleaning marks, no paint rubs, no haze or fungus, absolutely no oil or dust visible inside and a buttery smooth focus ring. S/N is in the very low four figures (under 1500) so I am amazed at it's condition.

Ooh, I almost forgot. There was also two miranda flash guns and a Zeiss IKOPHOT lightmeter in there too!

And its not even Christmas!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, where do you find all those treasures Shocked

Are there any flea markets in Italy in big cities? What are they called in Italian?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some good deals at San donato market, next to Milan, on Sundays, but not all Sundays.

We call them generically "mercatini" (little markets), but I always have some difficulties in gathering info about them.