Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena wrote:
Wow, where do you find all those treasures Shocked

Are there any flea markets in Italy in big cities? What are they called in Italian?

The ones I just bought were advertised on gumtree 'Pick up only' from Scotland. Fortunately a colleague was passing that area and picked them up for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the bargains in the sense of lenses that deliver more bang for the buck than others, are the Contax G and the Canon FD lenses for the EVIL cameras, Asahi Super-Takumar 50/1.4, various Pentax 50/1.7, K 135/2.5, k 50/1.2 and the Kern Macro-Switars for c-mount which new sold for 4x what they can be had for now and are superb optically.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
I found some good deals at San donato market, next to Milan, on Sundays, but not all Sundays.

We call them generically "mercatini" (little markets), but I always have some difficulties in gathering info about them.

I've got to send a friend of mine from Bergamo then.
Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TijmenDal wrote:
Wow! Where do you shop? Flea market?

Unbelievably, these were all from various UK dealers and shops but with the exception of the Sonnar 180, from several years ago now.

Ebay prices at the time were heading to nearly double what I paid in some cases and God knows what they'll be at now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilguercio wrote:

I've got to send a friend of mine from Bergamo then.
Laughing

It's a nice place. Not always easy to find a seller knowing what he's selling, but recently many have discovered eBay for checking prices, so the chances of getting good items for little are really variable.
Last time I went for lenses I ended up buying a pink '60's fridge by Bosch. It costed 10 euro but I had to go and get it in Turin, in a house full of Russian people. Now I'm using it as a cupboard to store hard drives.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 800/5.6 for 1000$

Later found out it was a stolen piece and returned it to its original owner (who kindly refunded me 1000$) :- )
Some things are just too good to be true....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

76€ for a Nikon mount Soligor 200/2.8 P with 8 (!) filters, here is the list of filters copied from ebay:
1x BW Korrekturfilter KR 1,5, 1,1x (gut)
1x BW Weichzeichner Ringe (hat kleine Absplitterungen am Rand, sonst gut)
1x Carl Zeiss Softar I (hat Kratzer und Schlieren)
1x Rodenstock Graufilter ND 0,3, 2x (gut)
1x Hoya Blaukorrekturfilter 82A (neuwertig)
1x Heliopan Skylight KR 1,5 -0 (gut)
1x Heliopan UV -0 (gut)
1x FLD D60 Korrekturfilter (klappert, sonst gut)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
76€ for a Nikon mount Soligor 200/2.8 P with 8 (!) filters, here is the list of filters copied from ebay:
1x Heliopan UV -0 (gut)

Congratz, don´t forget to share some samples Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bargains indeed!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a apo-telyt 180/3.4 and a MR-telyt 500/8 for 700euro, both in mint condition. Altho i did have to promise the guy to have coffee and show some pictures soon Smile

I understand now why rolf loves the MR lens, it's simply amazing. It eats light like a black hole and poops photographic magic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opticus wrote:
Canon 800/5.6 for 1000$

Later found out it was a stolen piece and returned it to its original owner (who kindly refunded me 1000$) :- )
Some things are just too good to be true....

Quiet incredible story, both of you were lucky, hopefully lens was insured.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
NikonD wrote:
1x Heliopan UV -0 (gut)

Congratz, don´t forget to share some samples Wink

indeed I shall Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up a Canon FDn 50/1.8 on a T50 body, in pretty good condition, at the Goodwill - $3 out the door. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly bargain but jupiter 9 for 20 bucks Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shyl wrote:

Well I'd call it a bargain, if it's in good condition. Very Happy It's a very good price.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shyl wrote:

This is exactly what you call a bargain Very Happy . Usually they go for 120-150 dollars. Nice find Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years ago, I paid 15 € for mine.
Blades are a very little oily, but nonetheless it does good portraits. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasan wrote:
Blades are a very little oily, but nonetheless it does good portraits. Very Happy

That's a bargain alright! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best bargain was a Tamron SP 52B 90mm 2.5 Macro Adaptall 2 in pristine condition. The lens was bundled with a Tamron Adaptall 2 to M42 adapter and a Tamron SP 01F Flat-Field 2X Tele-Converter, also in beautiful shape. All three items together cost me just a bit less than US$10. The lens and Tele-Converter came with the original cases, and each came in its own original box with the orange motif. The adapter also came in its original Tamron box.

My next best bargain was a Konica Hexanon 40mm f/1.8 lens in decent shape for US$5. The lens came with a camera.

Both these purchases were found at the same thrift store.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leitz-Wetzlar Elmar 135mm f4. Glass is in very good condition but it was like chopped in half to convert it to m42 (???) i should finish the job anyway.
$10 Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
shyl wrote:

This is exactly what you call a bargain Very Happy . Usually they go for 120-150 dollars. Nice find Wink

Congratz, I paid $86 (m42) and $99 (m39) two years ago, and I remember it as a fair price back then Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasan wrote:

Mine cost mt about €40 and I thought was a good price...

guardian wrote:
My best bargain was a Tamron SP 52B 90mm 2.5 Macro Adaptall 2 in pristine condition. The lens was bundled with a Tamron Adaptall 2 to M42 adapter and a Tamron SP 01F Flat-Field 2X Tele-Converter, also in beautiful shape. All three items together cost me just a bit less than US$10. The lens and Tele-Converter came with the original cases, and each came in its own original box with the orange motif. The adapter also came in its original Tamron box.

My next best bargain was a Konica Hexanon 40mm f/1.8 lens in decent shape for US$5. The lens came with a camera.

Both these purchases were found at the same thrift store.

Wow, nice, very, very nice. Ubber bargain right there for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Ole for Oly.... Reply with quote

All I can say is wow....and wow again...

This Oly 24 is so much better than the Nikon 24/2.8 I had used for 40 years or so...at least on the Canon Dslr it'll be used on...
I took only a couple of shots to test for flaring, where the Nikkor was terrible....
The Oly's IQ is just wonderful...no flare, no loss of contrast...just what you see through the VF...

It's lenses like this that MAKES you want to go and see the world through them...can't wait....looking forward to posting pix soon...

(I got it with caps and case and hood, all pristine like the lens...for $50)

Just took a test shot with the Oly 24 on the 30D...
I like taking shots of bookends to test for print set off with nice clean edges and no CA...where whites aren't blown....

The Oly is supposed to have low contrast so maybe that's why this shot looks as it does...

hand held shot @ ISO 1000, 1/60 sec (EC -1) @ F4
In DPP
auto WB
Neutral Picture Style
all sliders @ null
RAW image sharpened to 3 in DPP
the 100% crops got no further sharpening...the full frame shot got some USM as it was resized...
...just a bit of highlight lightening on the crops because the lighting was uneven...
I should test for vignetting and will upload real photos in the alternate lens photo thread soon..

Last edited by mfkita on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it is not a Manual Focus lens (and may be not related to this topic) but a mint Minolta 80-200/2.8 HS APO G with original front and rear caps, hood and carrying case for about 380USD is my latest purchase. this is about 900USD less than its normal price.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: My Tamron... Reply with quote

My Tamron 28mm f2,8 for just 15 euros inkl post!

I have had other good deals but the 28mm Tamron is the only one I kept.

Oh and the 28-70mm 44A for about 20 euros!

Cool

Andreas