Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Jani73!

Hungarians call John kindly to Jani Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax S1a with a Soligor 35 f2.8 and a Voightlander Perkeo - £13 at the charity shop!

The Perkeo is very good, the Pentax has the light meter on top and works perfectly - it's a pleasure to use. Very Happy

But the best part is the Soligor lens, what a joy that is ! The first time I took it out I didn't like it, but I tried again; thankfully. It's a lovely lens, a good solid dependable lens that gives me good results. A 100% keeper. I'd have gladly paid the £13 for the lens alone. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost2501 wrote:
So, it has arrived, with a surprise :

The surprise was the Helios 44M 58mm f2 that the seller did'nt mention.

So, for 30€, I have :

- A Zenit TTL in perfect working condition
- a Rexagon Auto 28mm f2.8 with a dent on filter but with pristine optics
- a Helios 44M 58mm f2 almost brand new
- a Makinon Tele-Auto 135mm f2.8 very clean
- a Helios 28-70mm f3.5-3.8 very clean

I gave the Zenit TTL with my faulty Pentor 135mm stucked @2.8 to my 9 years old daughter. She likes to play with it in the garden and she plays 'I'm a journalist' Laughing

Apart from the unfortunate dent they look new Shocked

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 28mm f2.0 MD mount for 10 CHF (I'm now waiting for a M42-EOS adapter to convert it Razz)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know who was but who won it just took a Flektogon, a 200mm Pentacon and an Helios 44 for £35... and it is even more depressing if I tell you that I was the one winning the auction............... Shocked

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a NEW Nikon sb28 boxed with manual and a bag (SS-2Cool for 50€ Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
Don't know who was but who won it just took a Flektogon, a 200mm Pentacon and an Helios 44 for £35... and it is even more depressing if I tell you that I was the one winning the auction............... Shocked

Sad oh dear

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Minolta alpha (Maxxum) 7000 with a Minolta AF 50 /1.4 lens in a recycle shop a couple of days ago. The lens is in pretty good condition. The camera looks poor but works perfectly. How much? 500 yen (about 4 euros)!

I ran a film through it yesterday. Results are here http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1235854.html#1235854

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
I bought a Minolta alpha (Maxxum) 7000 with a Minolta AF 50 /1.4 lens in a recycle shop a couple of days ago. The lens is in pretty good condition. The camera looks poor but works perfectly. How much? 500 yen (about 4 euros)!

I ran a film through it yesterday. Results are here http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1235854.html#1235854

I found the same combo in nice condition at the Goodwill for $5. As the lens doesn't have a manual aperture ring, couldn't use it on my Oly E-P2, so sold it on Craigslist to a NEX-7 owner for $200. Nice deal for both of us. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chicks wrote:
Yebisu wrote:

I found the same combo in nice condition at the Goodwill for $5. As the lens doesn't have a manual aperture ring, couldn't use it on my Oly E-P2, so sold it on Craigslist to a NEX-7 owner for $200. Nice deal for both of us. Smile

Nice deal for both of us!? Especially nice for you Very Happy

A film bargain for me this time. I was in a local recycle shop. They had rolls of Fuji color 100 (exp. 2011) and Fuji Venus 800 (exp. 2008) for 10 yen each (about 10 cents). I bought all they had Very Happy 20 rolls of fujicolor 100 and 7 rolls of the Venus. That should keep me going for next century!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently picked up a nice Bessamatic with 35mm f/3.5 Skoparex on Ebay for just under $50 US. See here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270968870328?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 The camera was dirty, but working albeit a slightly sluggish shutter and non-functioning meter. The lens however was mint - it had a really filthy filter on it - the photo of which probably discouraged other bidders. Since it was my second copy of the lens, I flipped it on Ebay for $150 a few days later and kept the body for now. It's my second Bessamatic, third if you count the Deluxe - still looking for an Ultramatic and a CS.

P.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Turns out I was misinformed, it was not the Mother Of All Zooms, it was the Nikkor 1200mm f/11 Ai-S, only 366 copies manufactured.

Finnish Defence Forces sold last week in an auction one mint copy of the Nikkor 1200mm f/11 lens for 2200 EUR. I wasn't the buyer... I never heard about one being for sale which is why I wasn't at the auction with cash... So, as opposed to victory champagne I drink bitter beer Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Esox lucius on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could have been the bargain of a lifetime.
Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Finnish Defence Forces sold last week in an auction one mint copy of the Nikkor 1200-1700mm lens for 2200 EUR. I wasn't the buyer... I never heard about one being for sale which is why I wasn't at the auction with €€,€€€ of cash... So, as opposed to victory champagne I drink bitter beer Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/12001700mm.htm

Only 15 made according to http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#800
That likely is not the truth, I am quite sure a lot of armies around the World have bought this lens and actual production numbers likely are hundreds but not thousands.

That is like giving it for free.
At that price, I think it was purchased by someone who was very close to the auctioneer. If you get the gist.
As for " 15 made" I agree with that number. Canon 1200/5.6 L is rumored to have 12 to 20 copies. Some other rumors say 6 only.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
At that price, I think it was purchased by someone who was very close to the auctioneer. If you get the gist.

I am confident the auction was never properly advertised and the lens sold to a staff member who knew its value very well.

Here's more info about the Nikkor 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8
http://www.nikon.com/about/feelnikon/recollections/r16_e/index.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 copies seems like a low count if even Finnish defense forces had one. I mean, surely Swedish and Norwegian forces had to have one as well Wink

How much would you be willing to pay though?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
How much would you be willing to pay though?

I would say that the real price is over $100.000 ( 100 thousands). Maybe close to $200.000.
Willingness to pay? €2200 sounds about right. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, obviously there is no such thing as going rate for an item of which 15 copies were ever made, however, quick internet search shows that one was reportedly sold on ebay for 40 K USD. Which might mean that you are overoptimistic.

However, this thing does not look like an easy resale to me, so I wonder how much dough folks would be willing to put down for such a potentially high gain, but also inconvenient item.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still has a huge value as a photographic tool, let's just forget its value as a rare lens.
2200€ looks like a steal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilguercio wrote:
It still has a huge value as a photographic tool, let's just forget its value as a rare lens.

Well, it's value as a photographic tool for 99.9999999999999% of photographers is about $50. 16 kilos, no AF, 2 degrees angle of view. What would you do with it, take moonshots?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
What would you do with it, take moonshots?

That will do it too.
Or this

http://blogs.reuters.com/blog/archives/8068

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it is definetly a very specific purpose tool, pro's or collector's only.

To me, any lens that you can't handle properly without a tripod is in a different league.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back from the post office with :

+ Contax 137 MA Quartz that works perfectly
+ Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 T* in perfect shape

- $44.72 CAD

I'm happy Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreq wrote:
I'm back from the post office with :

+ Contax 137 MA Quartz that works perfectly
+ Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 T* in perfect shape

- $44.72 CAD

I'm happy Smile

Awesome! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
Yep it is definetly a very specific purpose tool, pro's or collector's only.

To me, any lens that you can't handle properly without a tripod is in a different league.

I'm sure the 600 f/4 is in a different league as well but i wouldn't say it isn't useful to somebody.
It might be not that useful for you but i think the 1200-1700 would be a dream at 2200€ for some nature shooter.
Wink