Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Or should he go back and give the vendor some extra cash ?

Definitely or he will most certainly end up in hell Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see. I got a Heiland Honeywell Pentax H3 at a thrift shop for $5.99 once. And at another thrift shop I picked up a Mamiya DTL500 for the same price I think, with the F2 55mm.

I also got a Canon AE1 there, for $10 which I intended to give to my mother, whose AE1 was on its way out with shutter problems. But although it worked fine in my hands, she managed to jam it halfway through the first roll and it was dead forever since. Rolling Eyes She does a good job of working that brand of magic on most machines (and even people sometimes). It mystifies and confounds me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to pick up a Vega 12b that had faulty aperture described on ebay for £12 + £7 P+P from russia inmaculate condition glass, cleaned and serviced apertures now working perfectly as they had oil and where stuck.
managed to pull the dint out of the filter ring all perfect now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of my first grab from Kijiji (Craiglist clone)

Pentax SP 500 (m42 mount)
Super Takumar 55mm f2
Vivitar Macro Zoom 90-230mm f4.5

Minolta Srt 101
MC Rokkor-PF 55m f1.7
Focal M-200 Flash

Minolta Srt-101
MC Rokkor-PG 50mm f1.4
Zykkor Flash

Yashica FX-2
Yashica DSB 50mm f1.9
Yashica MC Macro Zoom 75-200mm f4.5
Vivitar Auto Thyristor 2800 Flash

The lot also included a mint 16mm projector (in original box), a 16mm video camera, a 8mm video camera, some (expired) 35mm films and lots of leather casing/bags for the SLRs.

Cost : $50 CAD

Sold the 2 Minoltas bodies for about ~$50 USD.
Still need to sell the rest of the bodies (I might keep the Pentax, it's a lovely thing)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent haul!
Quebec city,hint, hint?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Excellent haul!
Quebec city,hint, hint?

Yup Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo I may have just gotten this:

for...$55 shipped. Think it counts as a bargain? Wink

~Marc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a bargain, that's a beautiful lens. I bet it will need relubing though, all those old zebra zeiss lenses have grease that turns to glue after a while and makes the focus very hard to turn, my Tessar of the same vintage is like that, not got round to relubing yet but I need to, takes a lot of force to focus it!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:

~Marc

Lens value is above 500 USD avarage, Trifox sold it for 800 USD. Camera body if in working order another 300-400 USD. This is Pentacon Super made in small batch and at this time it was one of the most advanced system.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of the real value and history but thanks Attila. Sorry, my question was supposed to be a bit facetious.

The lens does need a re-lubing. I plan on doing a full service, including a UVB light treatment to decrease the yellowing, fairly soon.

Camera works beautifully. I haven't checked the meter yet though. I suspect it will be fine. Seems like the camera was stored well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I am aware of the real value and history but thanks Attila. Sorry, my question was supposed to be a bit facetious.

The lens does need a re-lubing. I plan on doing a full service, including a UVB light treatment to decrease the yellowing, fairly soon.

Camera works beautifully. I haven't checked the meter yet though. I suspect it will be fine. Seems like the camera was stored well.

Yellowing normal on this lens all what I seen was yellow. Construction is superb very easy to open re-lube an put it back.

http://www.praktica-collector.de/119_Pentacon_Super.htm

Owner of this page bought it for 800 EUR.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

800e! Ouch!

Let's hope they are more robust and reliable than Prakticas of the same age, I have seen so many broken MTL and LTL bodies from that era...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc, that is a super bargain!! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I got about 20 Cokin P-series and A-series filters, including graduated filters. They were in a box with a Celtic 135mm and Nikon HB-11 sun shade. All for $10.

I sold the P-series filters, though, not having any adapters to connect them to my camera lenses with. I still have A-series.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copies of the P series holders are a few bucks at www.dealextreme.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
800e! Ouch!

Let's hope they are more robust and reliable than Prakticas of the same age, I have seen so many broken MTL and LTL bodies from that era...

Don't compare a mass produces camera what wasn't used, stored properly with a pro camera. Anyway Prakticas aren't too bad at least what I bought ost of them in working order 90% at least. I think in UK, people didn't respect them due cheap eastern products , here they were well kept due most of the people couldn't afford better cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:

~Marc

Great!!!! Bargain of the year!

Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I think in UK, people didn't respect them due cheap eastern products

Hey, I looked after mine OK! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always looked after my Prakticas well but I had 5 break on me, I don't think the film advance and shutter are all that well built, or maybe they are just prone to jamming?

Zenits on the other hand, seen so many abused ones that still worked, built like tanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yellowing normal on this lens all what I seen was yellow.

Yellowing is normal, yes. But it can be corrected to a certain extent. I have the first version "slim" zebra pancolar 1.8/50mm also built in the same era as the f1.4. This had a strong yellow cast.

The casts on these pancolars do not clear as much or as quickly as takumars but they do get better under a UV bulb.

If I ever do get rid of this one advertising it as safely (specially constructed light cabinet) UV cured may be a good selling point...

The lens has been re-lubed and cleaned! Will take some samples tomorrow!
Thanks everyone!

Last edited by themoleman342 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Another Goodwill Find Reply with quote

Two Versalights - one a 300 the other a Mobilight

Total cost (with working bulbs and reflectors included)?

21 Dollars the pair Smile

Now I need a new light-stand and softbox. I loaned mine to a woman in California 2 years ago!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A SUN Multi Macro Zoom 80-240/4 (my third one), this time in -much desired- Exakta mount (and mint- condition) with interesting, late s/n, for US$16.25.
Also recently, another Kyoei Acall 135/3.5 in M42 mount (my second one, exc++ to mint- condition), complete with hood & leather case, for EUR16.26.

Noteworthy coincidence (refers to the price figures of course)...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see…

Helios 44 (13 blade)
Helios 44 Zebra
Helios 44-2 black
Helios 44M x 2
Helios 44M-4
Jupiter 9 black
Fed 2 w/ Industar 26M
Zarya w/ Industar 26M
Drug w/ Jupiter 8
Moskva V
Zeiss Ikon Contaflex (totally shot)
Graflex "23" Graphic roll film back
bunch of 4x5 film holders
broken Bolex 16mm camera
and a Porst 135mm F1.8 lens (front element with tons of wipe marks and coating wear, but still shootable! Very Happy)

for $150 and shipping; I'd say that's decent Smile