Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just last week there was a Zenit 11 advertised in our local shop. Comes with 28mm lens it said.
I called and walked round to see if the lens was worth having - you never know.
It turned out to be a Mir 1b 37 f2.8.
I explained it what it was and that it was worth more than they were asking, but I was the only person who'd showed any interest and the seller let me have it for the asking price of £5.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Ikon Contessa with 2.8/45 T* Opton-Tessar
leather case, lenshood and filters
for 8 euro Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice camera, are you going to shoot some film with it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll try
surprised that light meter is working, anyway i have some old meter somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Manfred!! I am green from envy! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bargain. Spotted a Zeiss Tessar 50/2.8 for £10, BIN. I think I set a new world record for hitting that button.

Then I read it has a few problems... like a "sticky" focus. Ah well, it will teach me to read, and if I do need to perform surgery, it will be fun learning.

We will see what it's like when it arrives...

[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tenner for a Tessar is not bad, and almost all Zeiss lenses of that era have sticky focus, my Tessar does, it's due to the grease they used, it deteriorates.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would not worry to much about the stiff focus easy to fix, I bought a Zeiss Pancolar 50mm F1.8 for £15 the other day and a little lighter fluid in to the hellicoid soon loosened it up.
That was my bargain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
a little lighter fluid in to the hellicoid soon loosened it up.

A little more info on the mechanics of this would be great.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know how to do it too as I really like the performance of my Tessar but the focus being so stiff it sits in the drawer unused.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own best bargain recently was:

Konica FT-1
Konica Autoreflex
Konica Hexanon 1.7/50
Konica Hexanon 28-135
Konica Hexanon 3.2/135
Konica Hexanon 4.5/300
Tamron 103A 70-210
Tokina 3.5/17

All in mint, almost unused condition and for 65ukp. All six lenses are really good ones, gives me a belting shooting kit for my NEX for peanuts.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok will do a seperate post with pics
And here is the post
http://forum.mflenses.com/the-easy-way-to-clean-and-re-lube-a-carl-zeiss-pancolar-1-8-t43840.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this for $20 CAD.

- Bower 300mm f5.6 Telephoto in... I must say NEW condition.
It has a 62mm filter thread and a m42 mount (t-mount).
If someone can help me identify the telephoto, I'd appreciate.

- Macro/Wide angle adapter (8x macro + 0.66 wide angle).
That thing is kinda useless or I don't know how to use it... it fit at the end of a 49mm filter threaded lens and "kinda" widen the view (but the IQ is bad!)

- Vivitar 55mm f2.8 lens. Quality is OK. But I got plenty other 50-55mm that are better (Rikkenon, Super Takumar).

- Vivitar 220/SL Camera body. The battery is dead, no clue if it work, but it's in really good shape. I didn't use a film camera for almost 6 yrs so it will probably end on ebay.

- IMAGE CB-21 Flash. I didn't measure the trigger voltage, but I'll probably convert it to ~4-5v to use on my t2i. Didn't have spare AA, no clue if it works -_-.

- PETRI Speedlite Flash (little one). Seem like a nice little flash to add to my collection. Will need to measure voltage...it will get in the "to convert" pile. No clue if it works.

- Bower 49mm "Sky light (1A)" Filter. Look's new, like most of the accessory that came from this loot.
If anyone could explain to me what is an 1A filter... I don't really know anything about filters, other than ND filter.
...as I wrote this, I found a nice little "Effect of filters" sheet inside the box, it list all filter types and their use (with film), wow!

I still need to test them using daylight. I got that 2 hour ago around 20h... I only tested the lens with my indoor plant grow light (I don't grow weed... it's for my girlfriend plant, we live in a north facing apartment Very Happy)

I still got many other bargains I need to post. Actually, I should receive one in 1-2 week! I'll try to post back when I get it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot contribute to this bragging thread, because I made some good deals but never a real "bargain".
The best buy probably was a Canon RF 35/1.5 which I bought for the starting bid at GBP 200,- and sold three years later in an open auction for EUR 650,-
(I just sold it because I had another one with "meter" scale)

The best "missed buy" was also a Canon RF, a 85/1.8 "in Leica M-mount" for 200 EUR.

The most difficult lens to find was this one:
Difficult because it is like million others on the first view, just a "Takumar 55mm f/1:1.8"

So it was announced, and probably the seller was very astonished this idiot payed 250 USD for it... Cool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is so special about this Takumar? Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TijmenDal wrote:
So what is so special about this Takumar? Surprised

I was sort of wondering the same. Of course, I know there are various iterations of the "Takumar 55/1.8", such as Super Takumar, SMC Takumar, etc.

Is the "plain" 55/1.8 Takumar the preferred model over others?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that's a rather rare preset model!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I'm guessing that's a rather rare preset model!

Oh, I see that extra "exposure ring" now. Good eye!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm 1.7 T* with caps, 88 GPB with shipping included Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! A REALLY nice price for a fine lens, sinner79! Way to go!

I guess I'll have to say the recent acquisition of the Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 LD for $80 is a good bargain.
I feel very lucky to have found it. It has moderate "use marks" but the glass is pristine, and the zoom
is smooth. A very robust lens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Ziess !

Aus Jena 50mm f2,8
It's one of the latest model (Serial 9xxxxxx)

Got it with a

- Praktica Super T L (working fine!)
- Yashica Auto Focus S (have to test it)
- Yet another flash : Braun F30B (+ flash triger cable)

$25 CAD

The only downside is that the Zeiss focus is frozen solid and the aperture blade are oily as hell.
I'll see if I can clean it good, the way it's built, it seem quite easy to disassemble and clean.

Last edited by Andreq on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreq wrote:
The only downside is that the Zeiss focus is frozen solid and the aperture blade are oily as hell.
I'll see if I can clean it good, the way it's built, it seem quite easy to disassemble and clean.

Might not seem such a bargain after all. Totally frozen focus is often a sign of lens being hit, focusing guide being defect or some hard particle found it's way in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Andreq wrote:

Might not seem such a bargain after all. Totally frozen focus is often a sign of lens being hit, focusing guide being defect or some hard particle found it's way in.

Well its really bad for now... after an almost full dissasembly :S.

The optic looks perfect without any dust/scratches, that's why I got it.

Anyway I still have the Praktica body which works fine Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun with the Zeiss surgery. I've just taken mine apart as per the guide linked earlier on in this thread. I can't get at enough of the Helicoid's thread to clean it properly. I suspect it will need a complete disassembly to get it back to functional condition. Still, it's going to be fun to do... Just need to photograph the process to reverse it and have a working lens at the end of the operation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Andreq wrote:

That's possible, but oily blades and stiff focus is exactly what happens when you leave an old CZJ lens on a hot sunny window cill or in a hot car for a while.