Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Forum reorganization
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Forum reorganization Reply with quote

To address Attila's wish of placing emphasis on rescuing film, I have reorganized the forum.
Now Film and Digital have two separate sections. This will hopefully give more visiblity to film.
Lenses of course are in a section apart because it would be impossible to separate them between the two media.
I made the Forum Central section smaller to bring more up in the page the important sections (lenses, film, digital)
Now the moderator boards are at the bottom, as they are the less interesting I guess.

Maybe at first the changes will be a bit shocking, but I think that the forum is better organized now.

Let me know what you think - if you think it's a disaster I will bring back things as they were! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks plenty pretty, no matter what else

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great !

Maybe some things should be sticky, like darkroom equipment etc....
anyway i'm gonna to open this new section right now . must find title Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELENT !!

I really wait for more changes (perhaps into the lenses part)

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
Great !

Maybe some things should be sticky, like darkroom equipment etc....
anyway i'm gonna to open this new section right now . must find title Very Happy

I have just moved Peterqd's excellent sticky thread about developing films in the Darkroom section. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got lost! Confused
But then I got hold of it. Smile

I think it's pretty good idea to have the "Manual Focus Lenses" section separated as I think it's a main subject for this forum (no shit!).

I also like that the gallery sections are below all the technical stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The layout does seem a bit more intuitive, but where's the Reviews topic?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Orio i've seen the topic, you can erase mine then.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
The layout does seem a bit more intuitive, but where's the Reviews topic?

Since 90% of the reviews were about lenses, and since nobody posted any real review since the inception of the Reviews section, I thought that it was best to merge it with the Manual Lenses section, at least for the moment.

If in the future we notice that there is an increase (an appearance, to be precise Laughing ) of published rewievs that is such to justify a separate Reviews section, we can always recreate one.

For the moment, with zero reviews posted in months, I thought it was best to simplify the layout.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum reorganization Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Maybe at first the changes will be a bit shocking, but I think that the forum is better organized now.

Let me know what you think - if you think it's a disaster I will bring back things as they were! Laughing

I think its very clear and straightforward, and better than the old organization.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
Ok Orio i've seen the topic, you can erase mine then.

No need to remove it, Hexi Smile
It doesn't disturb anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine then.

Will there be a film review as well ? Or just help in darkroom ?

woot 100 post + ! i can access another forum Cool Cool

edit : seen slide show ! very good play on words actually

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
Fine then.
Will there be a film review as well ? Or just help in darkroom ?
woot 100 post + ! i can access another forum Cool Cool

Well, so far all discussion about films was held in the Accessories forum.
If you think it would deserve a separate section inside the Film section, we can talk about it and see what the others think.

Attila, if you think that having a Films forum inside the Film section and separate from the Accessories section, would drive attention to the matter, I can do it.
I think that since films today are not so many (unfortunately), a forum dedicated to them might become soon exhausted (I mean, you can not open 50 separate threads about Kodak Gold...).
So i think perhaps it's best to leave Films discussion in the Accessories forum,,,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job but I need to get use of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Nice job but I need to get use of it.

The forums are for most part the same, only reorganized in different categories.

Basically we have:

- 3 new forums more, born to promote film per Attila's wish (Darkroom, Slides Show and B&W Film Prints)

- 1 old forum less (Equipment Reviews, merged into Manual Focus Lenses)

- 1 old forum split between Film and Digital (Rangefinder/Viewfinder Cameras)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the new layout. I know there was an initial intention to not sub-divide too much, but as time went on it became obvious some re-jigging would be needed.
As it is now, there's a good logic to it.

For an utterly nightmarish front listing page, visit www.boards.ie/vbulletin/ and your eyes will pop out. There, it seems that most users stick to the small areas they're interested in and don't stray around much. Problem with boards.ie is it's trying to be all things to all people. It works well enough most of the time, but it's an example of horrible complexity, brought on by its popularity.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Forum reorganization Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Orio wrote:

I think its very clear and straightforward, and better than the old organization.

+1 Many thanks for great job Orio!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the changes. Usually, us old guys don't like changes, but in this case it's not a problem. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio! The change looks Great. Feeling more at home! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio,

yes it is ok.

Btw I have another point I´m not sure whether it is correct here and you can change it within your forum software.

I´m looking very often in this forum to find and read about the experience of others regarding special lenses. For that I need to use the search function and sometimes I get hundred of entries. A long time to filter the info I need.

Is it possible to add additional input fields which must be filled in like

manufacturer name, type, focal lenght etc. when starting a new thread?

Last edited by Rolf on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the changes, thanks for the update Orio!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great changes and I fully agree with Rolf, the upgrade of searching parametres would help a lot. New members (I´m still new to this forum) are 100% searching for opinions, pictures and experiences of several lenses and If I input into searching bar e.g. Zeiss pancolar, it shows hundreds of thread where either of those words are mentioned. And that is only half of the function.

Otherwise the forum gets 5 out of 5.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm happy to see that the changes are liked Smile

For the searching functions, maybe Attila can help, he's a programmer.

I am unable to go beyond a simple html page with Frontpage Laughing Embarassed

-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I got lost, too. But I love this change. Thanks, Orio.
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glockman99 wrote:
I like the changes. Usually, us old guys don't like changes, but in this case it's not a problem. Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing