Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

updated and hot looking k-7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: updated and hot looking k-7 Reply with quote

for all my pentax-loving friends, i came across this cool little paragraph today i thought might be of interest:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/22/pentax-trots-out-gorgeous-k-7-limited-silver-dslr/

note the new focusing screen!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The golden section is cool.

However I am left wondering why Pentax dissipates so many energies in producing custom variations on existing cameras instead of pushing on the design and production of a full frame DSLR. We have affordable full frame DSLR it's 7 years now (Canon 5D), so there's been plenty of time.
It seems like Pentax today thinks that their market is more concerned on the fashion side of things than on the features. A bit sad for a company that used to be pioneer in the reflex market.

Last edited by Orio on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! I like how they chose a typical Dutch scene to show the ground glass screen with "Golden lines".

And here's how the camera looks with the Limiteds:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The golden section is cool.

However I am left wondering why Pentax dissipates so many energies in producing custom variations on existing cameras instead of pushing on the design and production of a full frame DSLR. We have affordable full frame DSLR it's 7 years now (Canon 5D), so there's been plenty of time.
It seems like Pentax today thinks that their market is more concerned on the fashion side of things than on the features. A bit sad for a company that used to be pioneer in the reflex market.

Orio, the truth is easy and clear: there's no way Pentax can compete with Canon and Nikon in the FF market. The FF market is extremely limited compared to the lower end. That's where the money is. So rather than doing the same as Nikon and Canon, Pentax decided to create its own niche. That's why there are the colored Pentax K-x cameras (which are hugely successful by the way) and Pentax is about to unveil the 645D in two weeks. They say that the 645D will have 1.7x the sensor surface of FF cameras, and that it will be available to amateurs (price-wise). So let's see what happens!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter, in 645D, does the 'D' stand for digital? are they coming out w a medium format digital cam?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
peter, in 645D, does the 'D' stand for digital? are they coming out w a medium format digital cam?

Yes, the digital 645 has gone gold and will be unveiled in a few weeks. It's said that it will beat the hell out of Hasselblad and Mamiya, at a very attractive price point. It will likely have 40MP and cost around USD 6500 or even less...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! what is attractive price point?? i assume it'll be better than $5000usd, but how much so?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
wow! what is attractive price point?? i assume it'll be better than $5000usd, but how much so?

I hope it'll be better than US$5000, but I don't think so. I believe the sensor alone costs US$3000. Anyway: it's a big sensor and that in a body not much larger than a FF camera (although it will be deeper because of the larger mirror box). The difference with a 5D MkII with grip will be even bigger (the Canons always are hefty cameras).

Proof: the K10D with grip compared to the 645N (film camera)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

So rather than doing the same as Nikon and Canon, Pentax decided to create its own niche. That's why there are the colored Pentax K-x cameras (which are hugely successful by the way)

Yes, I can understand how the colorful K-x cameras can be a marketing success.

Marketing-wise I think it's a great move. However, it is quite a departure from the high quality engineering company that Pentax once was.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

So rather than doing the same as Nikon and Canon, Pentax decided to create its own niche. That's why there are the colored Pentax K-x cameras (which are hugely successful by the way)

Yes, I can understand how the colorful K-x cameras can be a marketing success.

Marketing-wise I think it's a great move. However, it is quite a departure from the high quality engineering company that Pentax once was.

Believe it or not, but Pentax is still the same! The K-x was touted by Dpreview as being the best High-ISO camera from ALL the current APS-C cameras, regardless of the brand and price level. They even wrote that if you want better high ISO, then the only option is to buy a FF camera at 6x the cost. Also, the build quality of the K-x is better than with the Canon and Nikon offerings in the same class. Don't let the looks of the camera deceive you.

Or do we all want Pentax to produce 'me too' cameras? They'd be dead by now. I'd rather Pentax keeps producing trendsetting cameras. Like the K-7, which is quite undervalued and underestimated (although I see that there are regions in which it sells very well, such as Scandinavia where it is in the top 3 of online sales). Just have a look at its specs... It has quite a few industry-firsts packed in that small body.

Last edited by Spotmatic on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I'd rather Pentax keeps producing trendsetting cameras. Like the K-7, which is quite undervalued and underestimated (although I see that there are regions in which it sells very well, such as Scandinavia where it is in the top 3 of online sales). Just have a look at its specs... It has quite a few industry-firsts packed in that small body.

Actually, if I had to choose again, I would probably buy a Pentax. I looked at a K10d a long time, when I got a very good offer on a used Canon 20D. I'm still very happy with the Canon, but I am jealous of the excellent viewfinder on the Kx0d series!

For now, I hope that my 20D will serve me for a few more years, but when it fails, I will take a serious look at Pentax again.

In the meantime I am enjoying myself with my Pentax lenses and 35mm film bodies Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Or do we all want Pentax to produce 'me too' cameras?

I don't think this is the point.
We all know what quality cameras they can produce, and the features, and we feel sorry that they don't make a full frame version of the K7, on which to mount our M42 lenses.

Of course, I realize that we are just a niche of users and that the large majority of the photographers could not care less if using a full frame or APS-C or Micro 4/3rd...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
We all know what quality cameras they can produce, and the features, and we feel sorry that they don't make a full frame version of the K7, on which to mount our M42 lenses.

Of course, I realize that we are just a niche of users and that the large majority of the photographers could not care less if using a full frame or APS-C or Micro 4/3rd...

Oh yes, I would take it immediately, a Pentax fullframe camera, weatherproof.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to know how many Canon and Nikon FF shooters would sell their equipment in favor of the Pentax one. I think not many, although such a Pentax FF camera would be the best choice for K- and M42-mount primes (because there are absolutely no mirror clearance problems).

Orio, would you buy the Pentax if it offered the same level of performance as your Canon?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad silver these days means *gray plastic* rather than chrome.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Orio, would you buy the Pentax if it offered the same level of performance as your Canon?

If I was an autofocus user (like 99% of the DLSR users), yes I would.
Pentax cameras are build stronger and have better features and viewfinder.
So are Nikon cameras.

What keeps me to Canon is only the fact that it's the only full frame DSLR that I can use my Contax lenses on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

If I was an autofocus user (like 99% of the DLSR users), yes I would.
Pentax cameras are build stronger and have better features and viewfinder.
So are Nikon cameras.

What keeps me to Canon is only the fact that it's the only full frame DSLR that I can use my Contax lenses on.

Orio, I like your common sense. Usually, a photographer chooses Canon is because the AF lenses for the Canon system are very easy to find and buy. Also Canon's service network is very good. Pentax (and other brands for that matter) will always fall behind them. But not all is lost... There are still many photographers with fond memories of the 60's-70's where everyone seemed to have a Pentax. I think Pentax should build on that basis (and they did with the classic-looking K-7).

@Jussi: the K-7 still does have a magnesium-alloy shell with the *same* chrome finish as the FA Limiteds. So it's definitely better than the chrome K20D.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What keeps me on Canon is budget. Like Spotmatic already mentioned; I like the Pentax history, and I am convinced that they build great cameras. I am especially jealous of the viewfinder and the in-body image stabilization.

On the other hand; I am very satisfied with all functionality that my Canon offers me (apart from in-body IS; the viewfinder is good enough), so actually the body is not too important for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax designers seems to be getting more creative lately compared to other major brands.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
The Pentax designers seems to be getting more creative lately compared to other major brands.

They had the right intuitions with the image stabilyzer and the focus confirmation on camera.
It's really a pity that these features can not make it into a full frame camera.
I would personally need them more than the video feature of the 5DII which I seldom use (although I admit it's cool to have it... but I'm a photographer not a videomaker).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet looking body - classic enough to entertain rather than induce nausia. That said, for the same reasons mentioned here, I sold my Pentax and all my K mount gear last year - no ff. I do like their build though, I respected the K20 a lot for the price.

The in-body SR was key for me, love it with the old glass hence I chose the A900 once it came out.

Orio, if you go the Leitax route you could have FF, in-body SR and use all your Contax too Smile FWIW, Leitax offer a Contax to M42 that works on the Planars 1.4 and 1.2 in MM (mine is in the mail).

K.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately for A900 and all the Sony DSLRs, there is no in body condirmation unless one install a chip adapter. I was totally surprised when a Nikon users told me his DSLR have in body focus confirmation 2 years ago. Why can't Sony put this is their DSLRs? Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Unfortunately for A900 and all the Sony DSLRs, there is no in body condirmation unless one install a chip adapter. I was totally surprised when a Nikon users told me his DSLR have in body focus confirmation 2 years ago. Why can't Sony put this is their DSLRs? Shocked

I too find it annoying that Sony seem to ignore that many people find their camera attractive for the reason of using older lenses with SR on FF. It would be seem to be an easy fix in firmware to render chipped adapters a luxury. That said, they have not yet updated the firmware of the A900, one can hope.

On the other hand, with the viewfinder on the A900, I have enjoyed a much higher success rate than I did with my K20 w/Katzeye and focus confirmation.

K.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thePiRaTE!! wrote:

On the other hand, with the viewfinder on the A900, I have enjoyed a much higher success rate than I did with my K20 w/Katzeye and focus confirmation.

Yes, this is all thanks to the bigger viewfinder. I have noticed the same when I still had my 5D: nearly everything was in focus (despite the lack of focus confirm AF adapter).

So here's still hoping that Pentax will bring out a FF model... Their glass deserves it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Too bad silver these days means *gray plastic* rather than chrome.

Indeed. For me, the silver plastic look will be forever associated with cheap tat of the 70s and early 00s, both periods when silver plastic was 'in', especially on lower end consumer goods that didn't last five minutes. A spectacular own goal, Pentax, Canon, et al.