Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Standard" Lenses - 40mm - 60mm - Must Haves
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But imho a real must-have for every MF-lens-friend is the Helios 44-2 58/2. Not for best sharpness, not for best colors, not for smooth bokeh but for it's character and price

All little comparision between some cheap 50mm lenses I made a while ago
http://forum.mflenses.com/a-little-comparision-between-some-cheap-50mm-lenses-t45319,highlight,%2Bcomparision.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Attila was right that you'll get as many answers as there are lenses. Folks here can only comment on what they have and what tickles their fancy. It's not my favorite focal length with a 1.5 crop factor, but I do use them on occasion. Like others, I can only comment on those I have and realize that my favorites are not based on lab tests or other lens against lens pixel peeping comparisons, but what looks and feels good to me. I'll give my short list and subjective assessment.

Minolta Rokkor-X MD 45mm f/2 Seems a very good lens and I should probably use it more. The reason I don't is because I tend to pick up my Topcor 35/2.8 or Lydith.

Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 I've only used it once. When I look back at the images, I see that they're plenty sharp, so I have to say it's a good lens, but nothing clicked with me when I saw the images. The feel of the lens impressed me as cheaper build - it just didn't feel good.

Minolta MC Rokkor PG 50mm f/1.4 This is my oldest lens, having come on my first Minolta SRT-102 circa 1973. Of course I have a sentimental attachment with this lens, but it also feels very good to me and the images have a warmth to them along with excellent sharpness. This along with the Topcor is my most used in the focal range.

Minolta MC Rokkor-X PF 50mm f/1.7 Aother I've had a long time - this one came with my second Minolta camera in 1976. It's a good lens, but I rarely use it because I have the f/1.4.

Carl Zeiss Planar *T 50mm f/1.7 Seems a very good lens. I can't really explain why I don't use it more.

Schneider - Kreuznach Edixa - Xenar 50mm f/2.8 Also seems a good lens, but doesn't offer anything special over the others and it's quite slow.

Mamiya Sekor 55mm f/1.4 One of the Tomioka builds, a very good lens with cool colors. Just don't use it a lot.

Panagor 55mm Macro f/3 A great macro that is good at distance to, but not great. Special purpose lens used on occasion.

Topcon 58mm f/1.8 RE Auto-Topcor Oh my, an excellent lens. I can think of nothing bad to say. Build is excellent as is IQ. Gets equal use with my Rokkor. Wish I could afford the f/1.4 version. Honestly, I think it is a tad better lens than my beloved Rokkor.

Helios 58mm f/2 Everything everyone else says; good lens at incredibly low price. I have it because it's good and cheap, but I'll always pick up the Topcor 58mm first. Well, unless I think a need for the pre-set.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I think Attila was right that you'll get as many answers as there are lenses. Folks here can only comment on what they have and what tickles their fancy. It's not my favorite focal length with a 1.5 crop factor, but I do use them on occasion. Like others, I can only comment on those I have and realize that my favorites are not based on lab tests or other lens against lens pixel peeping comparisons, but what looks and feels good to me. I'll give my short list and subjective assessment.

Minolta Rokkor-X MD 45mm f/2 Seems a very good lens and I should probably use it more. The reason I don't is because I tend to pick up my Topcor 35/2.8 or Lydith.

Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 I've only used it once. When I look back at the images, I see that they're plenty sharp, so I have to say it's a good lens, but nothing clicked with me when I saw the images. The feel of the lens impressed me as cheaper build - it just didn't feel good.

Minolta MC Rokkor PG 50mm f/1.4 This is my oldest lens, having come on my first Minolta SRT-102 circa 1973. Of course I have a sentimental attachment with this lens, but it also feels very good to me and the images have a warmth to them along with excellent sharpness. This along with the Topcor is my most used in the focal range.

Minolta MC Rokkor-X PF 50mm f/1.7 Aother I've had a long time - this one came with my second Minolta camera in 1976. It's a good lens, but I rarely use it because I have the f/1.4.

Carl Zeiss Planar *T 50mm f/1.7 Seems a very good lens. I can't really explain why I don't use it more.

Schneider - Kreuznach Edixa - Xenar 50mm f/2.8 Also seems a good lens, but doesn't offer anything special over the others and it's quite slow.

Mamiya Sekor 55mm f/1.4 One of the Tomioka builds, a very good lens with cool colors. Just don't use it a lot.

Panagor 55mm Macro f/3 A great macro that is good at distance to, but not great. Special purpose lens used on occasion.

Topcon 58mm f/1.8 RE Auto-Topcor Oh my, an excellent lens. I can think of nothing bad to say. Build is excellent as is IQ. Gets equal use with my Rokkor. Wish I could afford the f/1.4 version. Honestly, I think it is a tad better lens than my beloved Rokkor.

Helios 58mm f/2 Everything everyone else says; good lens at incredibly low price. I have it because it's good and cheap, but I'll always pick up the Topcor 58mm first. Well, unless I think a need for the pre-set.

Thank Woodrim. Yes I understand that the number of lenses will grow with the respondents.
What I am interested in is reading why the lenses are "must haves" for each person.
There are plenty of lenses already for which I have no experience, and it is enlightening to see what endears them - or not - to their owners. Over time on this thread some patterns are likely to appear.
One that is evident already is the almost universal acclaim for the Helios 44 in several variants - the Helios 44-2 being a favourite.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Over time on this thread some patterns are likely to appear.
One that is evident already is the almost universal acclaim for the Helios 44 in several variants - the Helios 44-2 being a favourite.
Cheers
OH

Great, then I'm set. Cool
Nice to see I own some of the favorites here.
I still haven't taken enough photos to pick a favorite yet, but I do like my Helios 44-2 and
my 3,5 Tessar. Why? The Helios is reasonably sharp and has interesting bokeh. The Tessar
is also sharp enough and takes good photos.Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapy: Helios 44, pretty fast, sharp, nice bokeh and I said it's cheap?

The expensive: Leitz Summicron-R 50/2, both versione are impressive, some say 1st version is better, some say the 2nd is the masterpiece...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of great 50s listed here. I would add the Nikkor 50mm f1.2 and f1.4 lenses, along with the Micro Nikkor 55mm f2.8, which is sharper than either of those in addition to its macro capability.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
In this focal length may even hard to say which one is not, usually all okay, some of them more than others, you will get hundreds different idea , due usually people love them and suggest what they have Smile so take any what is fit into your budget.

+1...

If you whish the best, take

Leica Summilux 1.4/50mm
Canon 1.2/55mm Aspherical
Minolta 1.2/58mm or 1.2/50mm

and your travel to find the optimum would stop immediately. You will no longer ask for more or better quality...

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
..., along with the Micro Nikkor 55mm f2.8, which is sharper than either of those in addition to its macro capability.

I get that tomorrow Smile

At the moment I love my Rokkor 58mm/1.2 as a ~50mm lens most. It gives good contrasty sharp images stopped down, widopen I like the mild glow and the blur. Bokeh is ok (some say it is great, but I doubt) - but at least without onion rings. Sharpness is ok, and I get infinity with my mount conversion.

I like the Helios 44 58mm/2.0 (the older the better). I use this cheap lens for experiments, have several copies of it. Love the easy disassembly of the optical parts for this.

I have Zeiss Contax 50mm/1.4 and 1.7, but don´t find those extra attractive - at the moment. This will probably change sometimes.
Probably a expensive Canon FD 50mm/1,2L would be a further interessting lens, not as smooth bokeh and big blur as the Rokkor 58/1.2, but most likely more sharpness and contrast wideopen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My absolute favorite standard lens is the C/Y mount Carl Zeiss Tessar 45mm f/2.8 Pancake. I love absolutely everything about this lens. It's sharp and it renders beautifully. Icing on the cake? It's about as compact as they come!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extra|ordinary wrote:
My absolute favorite standard lens is the C/Y mount Carl Zeiss Tessar 45mm f/2.8 Pancake. I love absolutely everything about this lens. It's sharp and it renders beautifully. Icing on the cake? It's about as compact as they come!

+1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Yes, there are hundreds of lenses in this category.
The purpose in proposing the question was to find out which lens(es) endeared themselves to image makers and for what reasons.
It was not necessarily a what is the sharpest lens question.
The feedback has been revealing
Much appreciated
OH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add the Kern macro switar 50/1,9.

No matter if it's not cheap, who can hold it, DO!!

Very good IQ, excelent colors, no distortion at all.

In my experience, I think that it's apochromatic lens. Almost negligible CA, minimal. My telyt 180/3,4 reminds me the macro switar's CA treatment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to find a bad 50mm lens, but my favorites are Canon FD 50/1.4 and Leitz Summar 50/2. The first is a very reliable and easy to live with lens: fast, good contrast, good sharpness, good coating, good flare resistance, inexpensive, no weaknesses. When I want to be sure that there will be no nasty surprises from the lens, I pick up this one, it delivers. Summar is completely different, you have to be careful how you shoot with it, but then it gives a very special vintage look that is difficult to get otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I love the Nikkor 50/1.2 AIS. It's got a lovely dual character; dreamy lower contrast but high resolution from ƒ/1.2-2 and thereafter, until ƒ/5.6, just wonderful sharpness and contrast. And you can still buy it new.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good thing they're so many !

I love my M42 Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 4,5/40 T with 10 blades and a MFD of 40cm.
Slow, but in good light it's wonderful....

A "must have" 40mm lens imho...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for 'must-haves' I can only go by what I've got in the drawer, having accquired some of them by accident as camera caps and some as part of a bundle. Several have come my way as specific purchases, but there are a couple that stand out.

If I lost them all, these are the ones I would go out and buy, for sure...

1. The Helios 44K-4 in Pentax K mount
It does things rather well, perhaps not stellar, but reliably and has a certain character of its own.

2. Voigtlander Color-Skopar-X 50/2.8
The fairly basic standard lens on the Voigtlander Bessamatic of the 1950s and '60s.
Really good colour rendition, with a touch of saturation, but not overly so. In size, it's bordering on pancake, so it quite unobtrusive yet very very competent.

3. Rolleinar-MC 55/1.4 The Rollei mount means I can only use it on my Canon, but in front of that, it absolutely shines. Colour rendition, sharpness, overall IQ is very acceptable.

All of these are used with deep hoods, which definitely helps any lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:

In my experience, I think that it's apochromatic lens. Almost negligible CA, minimal. My telyt 180/3,4 reminds me the macro switar's CA treatment.

+2

And Switar 50/1.8 (non macro one) is also good with more pop than Macro Switar.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourites:

Zenitar M2S 2/50
Jupiter-8 2/50
Helios 44-2 2/58 (rare 00 serial)
Helios-103 1.8/50
Industar-50 3.5/50 collapsible
CZJ Sonnar 1.5/50
CZJ Tessar 2.8/50
CZJ Pancolar 1.8/50
Meyer Trioplan 2.9/50
Meyer Primotar 3.5/50
Topcon RE Auto Topcor 1.8/58
Minolta Rokkor-PF 1.7/50
Minolta AF 1.7/50
Konica Hexanon EE 1.7/50
Konica Hexanon 1.4/50
Konica Hexanon 1.4/57
Micro-Nikkor 3.5/55

I have had some bad 50s, but maybe they were bad copies, so I won't list them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

+2

And Switar 50/1.8 (non macro one) is also good with more pop than Macro Switar.

Thx for the date.

I didn't use the 1,8.

Well. Any of both (or both?) That i can find....mine!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have? The one that you can afford.
Fact is, you need only one standard lens, in proper working condition.
And that must be one that you can afford: there is no use in needing a Leica or Zeiss or Nikkor if you can not buy it.
Once you have one, then you may wish to try others, but that's no more "must have", it's a "would like to have".
And being in the wishes field (and not anymore in the basic needs field), I would say that a good option for a second
standard lens is one that uses a different optical scheme than the other one you have.
For example, if your first standard lens is a double Gauss type lens, I would get a Tessar-type lens, because it will
render the image differently.
And once you have saved more money, you can decide to upgrade one of your existing lenses by purchasing one that
performs better. And here start the problems, because it's not really easy to say that for sure about a standard lens.
Standard lenses have this characteristic, that they are pretty much standard, like their name. That is, they are a lot
similar to each other. You don't really have much room to invent anything fancy with a standard lens, as you can do,
for instance, with a wide angle lens. For this reason, most standard lenses available do perform very similarly to each other.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
And that must be one that you can afford: there is no use in needing a Leica or Zeiss or Nikkor if you can not buy it.
Once you have one, then you may wish to try others, but that's no more "must have", it's a "would like to have".
And being in the wishes field (and not anymore in the basic needs field), I would say that a good option for a second
standard lens is one that uses a different optical scheme than the other one you have.
For example, if your first standard lens is a double Gauss type lens, I would get a Tessar-type lens, because it will
And once you have saved more money, you can decide to upgrade one of your existing lenses by purchasing one that
performs better. And here start the problems, because it's not really easy to say that for sure about a standard lens.
Standard lenses have this characteristic, that they are pretty much standard, like their name. That is, they are a lot
similar to each other. You don't really have much room to invent anything fancy with a standard lens, as you can do,
for instance, with a wide angle lens. For this reason, most standard lenses available do perform very similarly to each other.

+1

However, there are some 'normal' lenses that have a character that makes them stand out. I'm thinking of the Sonnar 2/50 and 1.5/50 and their Russian copies and a good Triplet like the Meyer Trioplan 2.9/50. They are significantly different in rendering to the common double Gauss types, and I value that. However, once you close them 2 or 3 stops, they all start to become pretty much the same really.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I'm thinking of the Sonnar 2/50 and 1.5/50 and their Russian copies and a good Triplet like the Meyer Trioplan 2.9/50.

Yes, they're part of the "different scheme" concept like the Tessar, which I mentioned as an example, but the same is valid for Sonnar, for a Triplet, for a Biometar (Sonnar-Gauss hybrid), even for a Meniscus for that matter Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we're in full agreement then! )

BTW, isn't the Biometar a simplified double Gauss?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Orio wrote:

+1

However, there are some 'normal' lenses that have a character that makes them stand out. I'm thinking of the Sonnar 2/50 and 1.5/50 and their Russian copies and a good Triplet like the Meyer Trioplan 2.9/50. They are significantly different in rendering to the common double Gauss types, and I value that. However, once you close them 2 or 3 stops, they all start to become pretty much the same really.

+2.

The new lens may look alike but the old standard lens have different color rendering and bokeh even though they carry the same design and same speed. My Heligon, Quinon and Xenon have different character. No one can replace the other one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
So we're in full agreement then! )

BTW, isn't the Biometar a simplified double Gauss?

Yes. And so with the Xenotar with the rear doublet replaced by single element.