Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony A7r, gamechanger, to be announced Wed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
When will they realise that not everyone wants a small body? Honestly, the small size is a serious downside for me. I like the short register that makes it compatible with many lenses, but I've never found the small size of my NEX anything but a PITA. I know I'm far from the only one, there have been several people in this forum who have posted about large grips they have made to fit to their NEX to make them more ergonomic. I think they are designing these things with primarily the Asian market in mind, and forgetting that there are lots of people who don't have small hands.

Fine!
But there are several HUGE FF cameras to choose from.
This is the first tiny one I hope I can buy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how many of those larger cameras are affordable in the way the Sonys are?

You're not getting my point at all, which is the same one Orio made about the Nikon DF - there is a trend to making cameras ever smaller, and it can be taken too far, to the point where the cameras are actually hard to use because of their small size. There are many things I like about my NEX, but it's small size is not one of them, in fact, every time I use it I find myself wishing that it was more ergonomic, it is just too small for my hands.

Wouldn't it be nice if Sony realised that not everyone likes small cameras and offered both small and larger models? That wouldn't be hard or expensive to do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
And how many of those larger cameras are affordable in the way the Sonys are?

You're not getting my point at all, which is the same one Orio made about the Nikon DF - there is a trend to making cameras ever smaller, and it can be taken too far, to the point where the cameras are actually hard to use because of their small size. There are many things I like about my NEX, but it's small size is not one of them, in fact, every time I use it I find myself wishing that it was more ergonomic, it is just too small for my hands.

Wouldn't it be nice if Sony realised that not everyone likes small cameras and offered both small and larger models? That wouldn't be hard or expensive to do.

Well, the list price for a7R is exactly the same as Canon's 5D II was. Or 6D now.
YOU are not getting the point. Have you ever gone mountaineering carrying a 5D with 2 big lenses? Well, I have...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get Ian's point. he wants a nice mirrorless FF camera with both the price point of the A7 and the size of a traditional SLR. you may get that exact thing. Sony rumors has posted that there are probably two more FF E mount cameras to release next year. hopefully there's something for everyone. personally, I like the current size of my NEX 5R while it's in my bag but i like the size of the NEX 6/7 in my hands.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this was shared here already but here we go:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-video-shows-a7r-autofocusing-with-contax-g-lens-via-techart-adapter-2/

"Contax G lenses are well-known high quality, well priced and autofocus capable lenses. And thanks to the new soon to be released Techart adapter you will be able to use them with full AF and Aperture control on your A7-A7r. Just check the video on top to see how it works! That’s really good news considered we only can buy two native FE primes with AF."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joy division wrote:
I get Ian's point. he wants a nice mirrorless FF camera with both the price point of the A7 and the size of a traditional SLR. you may get that exact thing. Sony rumors has posted that there are probably two more FF E mount cameras to release next year. hopefully there's something for everyone. personally, I like the current size of my NEX 5R while it's in my bag but i like the size of the NEX 6/7 in my hands.

That's it!

My favourite camera from an ergonomic stand point is my old EOS 10qd, it isn't very heavy either, being mostly plastic. The Canon 10D, 20D, 30D etc series is similar.

All I'm saying is that I don't see why mirrorless has to equal small. We all know that MILC is the future, but there will be a good number of people who will stick with DSLRs as long as they can because the mirrorless alternatives are too small for them. I think it would be great if the manufacturers realised this and also catered for these people.

The comment about mountaineering is just silly, I happen to live in a mountainous area and I wouldn't take a NEX or anything else that wasn't fully weathersealed up into the mountains with me, and besides, if already burdened with tripod, a couple of lenses, a few filters and other bits, what difference does it make if the camera weights 400g or 800g?

I'm not criticising the A7 an A7r, just pointing out my hope that Sony also release a larger, more ergonomic body with the same excellent technology, a weathersealed one would be great too, so the same options we have in the DSLR world also exist in the MILC world.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the size of nex5n is too small for my hands.
what Ian (and me) should have is a7/a7r with grip.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
the size of nex5n is too small for my hands.
what Ian (and me) should have is a7/a7r with grip.

A grip for a7[r] has already been announced!
Also note that the a7r is already noticeably bigger/heavier than the NEX 5N.
I too find the NEX 5 a bit small. But I appreciate its 250gr VERY MUCH. The a7 is 450gr.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the best overall presentation I've yet seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLAP-N8Ps4I

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A7s have "gone gold" in Korea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLaTEyuG414

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://pantip.com/topic/31228622

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

Look at the queue. Shocked This reminds me of the iphone fans whenever there is a launch of new iphone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

Everyone in the industry is trying to copy Apple's marketing, from Google to Sony...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Now after looking at that I'm starting to see what the fuss is about. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Attila wrote:

Now after looking at that I'm starting to see what the fuss is about. Smile

If your mind is now open, it's apparent that in addition to all the other things this machine can do, it's a safecracker.

LOL, just kidding!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to find any answer to a simple question here, in vain.

When will it be released? I thought it was 15th nov, I can see adds everywhere...but no one sale Crying or Very sad . I asked today in a shop in Paris, they told that Sony is a bit late. Any infos about release date?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that a7 will start shipping next week in Europe.
For a7r we will probably have to wait a bit longer (~Dec 10).

I was going to test them in a shop today, but Sony went there first and took back the demo cameras Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nikos!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while I had coffee with a MF friend today a SMS arrived on his phone, saying that the A7 he had ordered will be shipped coming Monday November 25th, this is in Austria, Europe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
while I had coffee with a MF friend today a SMS arrived on his phone, saying that the A7 he had ordered will be shipped coming Monday November 25th, this is in Austria, Europe

The Sony online shop in Europe says delivery within 3 days.
Now I have to find the money Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have started delivery in Norway! Mine is in the mail, just got the message! I should have my A7r on saturday! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to see how much better your photography now gets Lars!!

Painter scholar to Van Gogh: "Master, this is an amazing painting - which brush did you use?" Laughing

Last edited by kds315* on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

following you closely Lars Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
They have started delivery in Norway! Mine is in the mail, just got the message! I should have my A7r on saturday! Very Happy

I hope you have something ultra-wide to throw at it.
Any fisheye? Or something less than 24mm.

kds315* wrote:
I'm really looking forward to see how much better your photography now gets Lars!!

Painter scholar to Van Gogh: "Master, this is an amazing painting - which brush did you use?" Laughing

boys need toys! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

handled both cameras today, and it was a pleasure. Perfect size, weight and handling for me.
good that the C1 and C2 buttons can be programed to do the magnification, both are much better located than the dedicated button on NEX

Last edited by kuuan on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total