Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rebuilding After Theft
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Rebuilding After Theft Reply with quote

Well, I'm starting to rebuild my equipment, going slowly because I save out a set amount of money per payday for the cause.
I plan on simplification of my whole kit of cameras and lenses. I did purchase a Nikon D40 SLR, which might seem outmoded, except that it has any and ALL the features I need for my style of shooting. The price was about one-quarter of the original new prices. It came with the 18-55 kit lens, which is surprisingly sharp and contrasty with good color rendition, but does have poor plastic workmanship. The lens did fall apart while I was on a hike, but I was able to put it back together in the field. If it continues to fall apart, I'll go ahead and get a prime.

For primarily black and white film which will process as transparencies, I purchased a mint Contax AX (my favorite camera of all time) for a good price by just waiting around until one was offered at the price point I wanted to pay. It does pay to sometimes just wait for an auction camera to show up with a lower price. In this case, it actually beat the KEH prices by $40 or so. Usually though, KEH beats the auction site as a general rule. I would humbly suggest to always look at KEH or Adorama first when considering adding to your collection.

I also purchased 'new old-stock' Yashica ML lenses, all almost mint condition:

300/5.6 ML (Somewhat slow, but it will be on the tripod most of the time anyway. Mind-numbing sharpness, even wide open, that I've seen so far)

100/3.5 ML Macro [1:2] (So far, the images look razor sharp and the AX in macro mode works well with this lens, bringing the ratio to about 1:1.2, nearly life-size)

50/2 ML (A real sleeper of a lens, simply cutting-edge sharp)

50/1.9 ML [light weight] (Virtually the same wonderful sharpness as the 50/2, with slightly better bokeh in my opinion - I decided to buy it even though I had the 50/2, because it is lightweight for hiking. The 50/2 will be used for general shooting).
I will next get UV filters for lens protection for the lenses, as well as CPL filters. Will look for multicoated Hoya filters, or multicoated Series 1 Vivitar filters - both good filter lines, built very thin to avoid vignetting when stacked.

I think the three primes are a good range, and look forward to continued shooting with them for the rest of my life. I am truly blown away by the build quality, sharpness, and bokeh of the ML line of lenses by Yashica. In my opinion the value-to-price ratio is stunning. There is also the possibility of a Zeiss Contax Planar 85mm lens in the future, depending on price.

This completes my desired kit for the AX.

Next will be rebuilding the Pentax 645 kit. I have the tough and dependable manual focus body, the Pentacon to Pentax adapter, the Zodiak 30/3.5, the Mir 24B 45/2.8 (if I can somehow fit the pieces back together), and the old-style (not multi-coated) Sonnar 180/2.8. I will look for the 120/4 Pentax-A Macro (1:1), and the standard 75/2.8 Pentax-A lens.

With filters and various accessories (do not want camera straps - they are always in the way), these will be the extent of my cameras and lenses, at least for now.

Sorry for the slight focusing error. That's what I get for trying to use the D40 on manual focus. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Larry!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Congratulations Larry!

Thanks Orio! It just took a bit of patience, as well as basically 'getting over' the loss and going forward to rethink and rebuild the cameras and lenses that I feel I need. And actually, the simplified amounts of equipment will be kind of cool. But of course, I'm not immune to suddenly springing for a lens that I just "have to get"! I'll try to hold that down. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats, nice setup. it help to know exactly what you need instead of collecting 20 50's just to compare them
with the ML 100 & 300 you will catch the bears and lenses will not fall apart like the kit lens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding After Theft Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

Most underrated lens today. I got one free with a Contax body.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the theft did you a favour in a way; allowed you to de-clutter and start afresh.
Nice start and a logical path.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the kit Larry. Although, I usually base judgement on IQ and handling, I must say, that Contax is an ugly beast. Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fines choices Larry and I'm sure it will serve you very well! Too bad you already bough the
100/3.5 ML Macro, I have it sitting around unused...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you are back into business Wink
Your choices seem really focused. I keep my MLs 1.7, 1.9 and 2.0 as if they were made in gold Smile
Looking forward to your samples.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty damn reason Sad if I can assist to buy P6 , KIEV lenses don't hesitate to ask.

PM sent, I found two lenses locally on low price.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurence, i had no idea you had been hit by thieves. i feel for you. burglars/thieves can make one feel violated somehow. i am glad to see you recovering ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
I suppose the theft did you a favour in a way; allowed you to de-clutter and start afresh.

I agree, sometimes 'lees is more'

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

It gives me the runs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
congrats, nice setup. it help to know exactly what you need instead of collecting 20 50's just to compare them
with the ML 100 & 300 you will catch the bears and lenses will not fall apart like the kit lens

Thanks poilu. Well, in actuality I did pick up one more 50 than I 'really need'. Laughing I agree with you - these lenses, and
the camera are built with beautiful attention to quality. I only tested them out with basic snapshots on Ilford FP4, and the
sharpness and other competencies seemed absolutely first-rate.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding After Theft Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Laurence wrote:

Most underrated lens today. I got one free with a Contax body.

Gosh yes, I've seen them for less than $20. I'm AMAZED at the rendition from this rather unknown lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

Thanks man. Smile I can at least try to think correctly and keep to what I need. A good exercise in thinking out my needs
versus my wants.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Congrats on the kit Larry. Although, I usually base judgement on IQ and handling, I must say, that Contax is an ugly beast. Laughing Laughing

LOL! Laughing I must say that I don't agree about the "ugly beast" , but we all have our opinions of style. I think it's probably the
beauty queen of all cameras. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Fines choices Larry and I'm sure it will serve you very well! Too bad you already bough the
100/3.5 ML Macro, I have it sitting around unused...

Shocked Man, I didn't realize that, of course. Sad At least I got the 300 for a huge bargain, but would have preferred
to pay you for one if you had wanted to sell.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Nice to see you are back into business Wink
Your choices seem really focused. I keep my MLs 1.7, 1.9 and 2.0 as if they were made in gold Smile
Looking forward to your samples.

Jes.

Coming from you with your opinions of the ML 50mm group, it gives me confidence that these ARE very
good lenses. I would love also to see YOUR renditions from any of these lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Pretty damn reason Sad if I can assist to buy P6 , KIEV lenses don't hesitate to ask.

PM sent, I found two lenses locally on low price.

As always Attila, you are a kind man. THANKS for looking around, and I've sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
laurence, i had no idea you had been hit by thieves. i feel for you. burglars/thieves can make one feel violated somehow. i am glad to see you recovering ...

It was a tough recovery, at least until I had to time to think it through. The devastating part is that feeling of violation you mentioned.
Hard to shake something like that. But I can't see me continuing to be morose about it, so that's why I'm just concentrating on
getting some kit that is of quality, and to keep it down to the essentials.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Farside wrote:

Yes, less is more and probably really has meaning in photo equipment. It's so easy to 'overbuy' and have so much equipment
that there is not time to take pictures! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A truly GREAT lucky break is that I had the CV Apo_Lanthar 90/3.5 SL at home. I'll never be able to thank Klaus enough
for this lens. The generosity is mind-blowing. Since it is M42 mount, I'll be able to adapt it to the Contax-Yashica mount.
I also had the Yashica Mat at home. I had the Mir 26B 45/2.8, the Zodiak 30/3.5, and the Sonnar 180/2.8 with me in my pack.
The Pentacon Oreston 50mm given to me by Carsten, was taken away though. Sad I also still have the Super Takumar 300/6.8.

I'll post some pix from the ML line of lenses as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, now its out.... Embarassed Oh well, but honestly, you certainly
deserve this for your excellent work Larry!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the ML 2/50 you're talking about the small one, a pancake in size? I had it, same size as the Minolta 2/45 and Konica 1.8/40. I Shot all three in comparison and the ML was possibly the sharpest of the three. I sold it for a good price because I was rationalising my kit and I'd already sold my other Yasshica ML lenses (1.9/50, 2.8/28, 2.8/35) but it was a very good lens, it came to me on a Yashica FX-3 bosy which I still have somewhere, not sure if it works.

I agree with the less is more principle, I'm trying to sell a lot of my kit as I'm really only using my Konica SLRs and lenses, my Kiev and Jupiters and my Kiev 6C and CZJ P6 lenses. All the rest can go apart from a small number of gems I keep because I like them.