Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adent wrote:
Right now I'm just considering a negative scanner. I kinda like my current printer.
Anyone have any experience with those?

They are much more expensive than the best flatbed scanners, and often not worth the extra money.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
adent wrote:
Right now I'm just considering a negative scanner. I kinda like my current printer.

They are much more expensive than the best flatbed scanners, and often not worth the extra money.

+1 by an Epson V500 affordable and pretty good

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably get one eventually. I looked at the specs and the video of how it works (sales pitch) and it looked pretty good. Will have to wait as I have made another purchase on the bay. Have another spotmatic coming with two more lenses. I think I have an addiction. This is worse than gambling. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adent wrote:
I'll probably get one eventually. I looked at the specs and the video of how it works (sales pitch) and it looked pretty good. Will have to wait as I have made another purchase on the bay. Have another spotmatic coming with two more lenses. I think I have an addiction. This is worse than gambling. Rolling Eyes

Welcome to film......it's the equivalent of working in an orchestra (that's digital) and coming home and playing with a classical guitar (film) Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adent wrote:

Maybe you should try to get a used Epson Perfection 2450 Photo. Pretty good for film just for a start. Old scanner, but it used to be a very expensive one, when new.

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Of course, it's not only the costs.
My local labs are utter crap.

Yes, same over here!
Maybe you should try "Farbglanz", or for slides "Diafilm Service Gera"? Made good experiences with both.

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to wait awhile before I can get a scanner. Still waiting to receive my latest unnecessary purchase. Then will have to catch up on bills. Then Christmas. So, will have to wait for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're waiting, there is quite a lot of information and experience to read in the old threads. Try searching for "cheap scanner" - there are two very useful ones.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
adent wrote:

that´s too simple conclusion - scans from specialized film scanners are better than those from flatbed scanners. it´s just question whether the price for better quality is acceptable for you - amateur ussualy can´t justify the cost for just "hobby". on the other side, prices of 35mm film scanners aren´t too high second hand..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
adent wrote:
$14 per 24 exp is killing me.

That is the nasty bit of shooting on film, isn't it?

That's why every shot has to count. That's what makes film more fun to use, because you can't afford to waste shots.
It often takes me a year to finish a 36 roll of slide or colour neg.

Just think to yourself every time you wind that advance lever - that's another 58c Smile

That's the thing I love about 9x12 or 5x4 in B&W- every shutter click is dirt cheap Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I kinda rigged up a setup to use my DSLR to take a shot of the Negatives and then take them info photoshop and invert them. The results are kinda fuzzy, but for no money invested I am not too disappointed.

Here is my Rigged setup, I need to find a way to hold the Negatives flat on the box.

Yes That was just a small box with a hole in the back and a square one in the front with a small LED flashlight. Here is one of the "Negatives" I got from this setup.

Here is the image after taking it through Photoshop. Process still needs work but OK for first attempt. For starters I don't currently have a Macro lens or tubes. I do have a Makinon 24-50mm macro in transit. I will have to see if it can get better results. I think the main problem is getting the negatives perfectly flat.