Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just bought a Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Everybody has fallen into an Ebay trap sooner or later.
I always got the best results when I spoke loud and strong. So start a Paypal dispute as soon as the timing allows, and say very clear what is wrong, and make the guy understand that if he does put obstacles to refund, you will take the lens and the Ebay/Paypal receipts to the next police station.

-

and you will get big laugh, seller based in Thailand.. don't say police in my opinion that is funny joke in this case. Paypal claim only what you can do I think.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I did not know that seller is in a different continent. Attila has it right then. Paypal is the only hope.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a very sad experience, I wish this issue get quickly resolved by paypal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DSG
Your only hope with a PP dispute is to get in quick, before he empties his PP account. Sure, PP will block his account if there's nothing in it, but they won't give you their money, only his.

ps. To add to rx7speed's points; he said the focus is ok - how can it be with no element?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
@DSG
Your only hope with a PP dispute is to get in quick, before he empties his PP account. Sure, PP will block his account if there's nothing in it, but they won't give you their money, only his.

ps. To add to rx7speed's points; he said the focus is ok - how can it be with no element?

Well I phoned Ebay to put a complaint in and after a lot of useless chitter chatter they finally suggested that I should just contact the seller.
In the meantime I received a slightly scratched rear element so at least I can try to make it fit my camera.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: parts Reply with quote

Maybe you could get something like this for parts:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130341269619&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought from some eBay sellers who fell into a middle category. That is, they knowingly lied to conceal one or more defects in their items, but they responded to my email complaint by refunding some or all of their ill-gotten gain. The key is to write to them under the pretense that they're basically honest people who made a big mistake, and drop a heavy hint that you're thinking of how you'll rate them in your eBay feedback. Many of the highly rated sellers may be exactly like this; dishonest but ready to soothe the savage customer so as to save their precious ratings.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: parts Reply with quote

dnhkng wrote:
Maybe you could get something like this for parts:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130341269619&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Rub it in why dont ya...I paid a hell of lot more than that for mine! Sad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now modified the lens so that the Iris can be stopped down manually, and it works perfectly.
Here is a pic of the fork I made from some copper sheet which moves the Iris actuation lever:

The angle section on the left of the fork controls the f16 position of the aprture dial. The f1.2 position is controlled by a cutout on the aperture dial...By filing it back you can get it spot on.

Meanwhile, I have discovered that there is actually a second element missing! Shocked ...It turns out that both rear elements were missing but I did'nt know until someone posted a picture of the rear of the lens minus the FD mounting plate. Sad
I have tried using the rear elements from my Helios 40, which sort of worked but not as well as I'd like. I would have tried the rear elements of my Zeiss 85mm/1.4 Planar T* too but I'm not willing to take it apart to try it.
I emailed Canon UK about my problem and they emailed me back saying that the best course of action would be to contact some of their authorised repair centres.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes you feel better, I also just bought a 85mm f1.2 on ebay, and paid more than double the amount for the one with the small dent in the filter ring Confused

I ended up with the ssc aspherical version though, which some people reckon is the best of the 3 versions canon has made, but from the pics I have seen there is bugger all difference.

I was actually going to bid on that Thai auction too, but I didnt want to pay inport duties Rolling Eyes

Best of luck finding new rear elements!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnhkng wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I also just bought a 85mm f1.2 on ebay, and paid more than double the amount for the one with the small dent in the filter ring Confused

I ended up with the ssc aspherical version though, which some people reckon is the best of the 3 versions canon has made, but from the pics I have seen there is bugger all difference.

I was actually going to bid on that Thai auction too, but I didnt want to pay inport duties Rolling Eyes

Best of luck finding new rear elements!

Did you see this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140358767233

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, thats pricey...

I dont plan to modify mine; hooray for the Panasonic G1!

Ok, so now I have a 170mm f1.2, but thats ok, because I can use my 55mm f1.2 as a 110mm portrait lens Very Happy

Actually, I plan on picking up lots of FD mount fast glass for the G1. I´m betting that in 4-5 years someone will release a mirrorless full-frame, and that these lenses (well, ones in excellent condition) will maybe double in price, given their new life and awesome build quality.

The 85mm f1.2 wide open has a paper-thin DOF, and the heavy but smooth action of the old FD version is just perfect for getting super sharp images. I actually think that for very thin DOF, direct manual control is way better than manual-by-wire. For slower lenses, autofocus is the way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnhkng wrote:
wow, thats pricey...

The average going rate for unconverted copies in this condition is $700 (even much more, if you look on e-bay). The conversion is far from simple, and will cost $300 if you send it to someone like SK Grimes.

Also, you just said that you paid more than double what Alf paid for his. Alf said he paid 310 GBP which equals $512 USD. So you paid well over $1000 for yours? Doesn't that make $900 for an EOS converted copy a very good deal? I think so. It is a Buy-It-Now or Best Offer auction, as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, I paid more than double than the lens with the dent in the filter ring. The auction was about 2 weeks ago.

I paid about 360 euro, or about US$530 for the lens. The glass is mint, having always had UV filter, and has original covers and leather case, and slightly less wear than the one you linked to. I watched about 10 come up on ebay before pouncing on this one Cool

Unfortunately, it was at the same time as an auction for a 24mm F1.4, and I didnt have the cash to buy both at the same time.

Anyway, the point is you can still get good prices on ebay. From watching the auctions for the last month or so, I would say its reasonable to pay about half the average Buy-it-Now prices you see advertised, if you are prepared to wait a few months. This holds true for the 50mm, 55mm and 85mm 1.2s, all of which I have been following pretty closely before buying.

The only bad deal was a FD 55mm f1.2 ssc I bought for about 70 euro. the damn thing was filled with fungus. It practically had mushrooms sprouting in it. Any way, I took it completely apart, and cleaned it out with peroxide solution and propanol, and had the thing back together with the help of rick44 for these forums (thanks for the manual!). So, now the lens is pretty much perfect, with a teeny tiny bit of hazing, but otherwise fine. But it took me about 4 hours of work, so, a rotten deal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Two years on and alls well... Reply with quote

I still dont have infinity but a recent tweak has stretched the focus range to about 18 feet. I took it out yesterday to a cold and overcast Staines and took several handheld panos, all at f1.2!...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive. So did you convert the mount then?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pictures look good, almost too good, makes me want to buy the nFD 85L now and not wait as I have bought my last lens this year, I still have to pay for the repair to my 16-35LII, which I could have gotten the Rokkor 85 that I've been wanting all year. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Impressive. So did you convert the mount then?

Yes, I sucessfully converted it to Sigma SA mount. Very Happy It took a while to do I had to cut out the fixed rear element retaining ring from the original FD mount and press fit it into a new custom made Aluminium sleeve that itself press fits into the SA mounting plate. At present the fixed rear element is approximately flush with the rear of the SA mounting plate but its possible to move it back at least another 2-3mm without mounting problems by making a longer sleeve. I still dont think this will give me infinity focus though as the moving rear element would also need to be able to travel back an extra 2-3mm at the same time, but its far harder to enable that to happen as the aperture dial gets in the way...I would literally have to slim down the aperture dial with my lathe to allow me to move the SA mounting plate forward by the same amount...But its already made of fairly thin plastic and there is'nt much left to machine off.
So, the only way I could probably reach infinity is by turning down the boss that the forward part of the aperture dial sits on...But that could lead to ther problems like having to drill and tap new securing holes for the serrated plastic strip that gives the click stop positions...Its a fairly daughnting task so I'm just happy I can use the lens as it is. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Those pictures look good, almost too good, makes me want to buy the nFD 85L now and not wait as I have bought my last lens this year, I still have to pay for the repair to my 16-35LII, which I could have gotten the Rokkor 85 that I've been wanting all year. Evil or Very Mad

When I bought my FD-L, I was self employed and for the first time in my life I was earning very good money...I could actually afford to buy a second one, in perfect optical condition but with a dinged filter ring, to provide parts and get at least one fully working one in both good optical and mechanical condition out of the two!
Sadly, I've fallen on hard times now and I can no longer afford to buy anymore lenses so I have to count my blessings with what I already have.
There are still plenty of lenses I would love to buy, like the Samyang/Rokinon/Vivitar 35mm f1.4 and 14mm f2.8 but I cant afford them now.
If you have the money, then by all means get the FD-L now, while you can actually afford it, because none of us can see into the future and you never know, things could change for the worse for you in the future, leaving your plan of getting an FD-L nothing but a distant pipe-dream. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right. I just got mine 85/1.2. This is the hardest found locally within reasonable price range.
Instead of conversion, i may get the nex to use it, just wait when nex7 coming out and get nex5n cheaper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear things aren't going as well as they were, I've bought at least 15 lenses this year, so I have no issue with striking while the iron is hot... well except maybe striking too many times Laughing
I think I could live without the nFD 50L & 85L, as I have their EF cousins,and I am already collecting sets of FL's, FD chrome noses, and FD SSC's, then there are the Canon rangefinder lenses...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to read about your tough times, DSG. Hopefully they will turn around for you soon. Me, I've been in slim pickins for years, but it seems like whenever I have a few extra bucks to spend I go and do something daft like buying old lenses that nobody but me cares about. Fortunately I was in just such a position almost two years ago when I picked up my 85/1.2 SSC aspherical and FL 55/1.2. Found them way below market at a local camera store and actually went home and scrounged up the funds by selling a guitar that I really didn't want to part with Crying or Very sad . In retrospect, I'm glad I did, though. I have other guitars, but only one each 85/1.2 and 55/1.2. Some folks would say I have a misplaced sense of priorities, and I don't know that I'd argue with them. C'est la vie.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which would you have used more, The guitar or your 55/85 1.2?
And as you say, you have more axes in which to grind(so to speak).
I think you made the wiser choice as long as you didn't give away your guitar.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's the deal. I build guitars. The guitar I sold was my third guitar. So it had some sentimental value because it was "only" number 3, but if I ever feel a real strong urge to play it -- or one like it -- again, I can always build another one. Something I can't do with cameras and lenses. Cool

This is the guitar: