Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just bought a Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one cost usd450 and use usd100 to modify it as EF Mount, now I am using it on my 5DII

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, sorry to hear about the loss of your Guitar but I also think you made the wisest choice Wink
BTW, I'm not a musician and I cannot play a Guitar but I recently bought a Ukelele as I am a fan of George Formby and they only have four strings instead of six so I figured it would be easier to learn how to play it. I brought a digital tuner too. Problem is, the tuning of a Uke is nothing like the tuning of a Guitar but I found an online Uke tuner which has helped. I still dont know any chords and I play everything on one of the four strings but its great fun, and thats the point. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigeyes wrote:
I found one cost usd450 and use usd100 to modify it as EF Mount, now I am using it on my 5DII

Interesting LCD shade setup! Shocked
I'd strongly recommend you use a hood on yours rather than that filter though, as you can gain extra contrast with a hood, whereas the filter can actually degrade image quality...In fact any fast lens can benefit from a hood, but particularly fast lenses with large front elements like the FD-L. I use a 72mm screw on plastic hood thats about 2" deep, but thats with a 1.7x crop DSLR, so on full frame you may have to opt for a slightly shallower hood to avoid vignetting, or you may be lucky. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the $100 conversion typical? And you can get infinity? Damn… I might have to get one myself! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Mike, sorry to hear about the loss of your Guitar but I also think you made the wisest choice Wink
BTW, I'm not a musician and I cannot play a Guitar but I recently bought a Ukelele as I am a fan of George Formby and they only have four strings instead of six so I figured it would be easier to learn how to play it. I brought a digital tuner too. Problem is, the tuning of a Uke is nothing like the tuning of a Guitar but I found an online Uke tuner which has helped. I still dont know any chords and I play everything on one of the four strings but its great fun, and thats the point. Smile

Yep, that is the point, isn't it. If you're having fun with it, that's really all that matters. Don't mean to be side tracking things here, but actually the tuning of a uke is the same as the first four strings on a guitar (or at least the intervals are -- the actual pitches may be different), except the very top one is an octave higher. So any guitarist can play a uke. Once I discovered this, it's made me think seriously about building ukes. There are folks out there that that's all they do is build ukes and they get good money for them. I'm interested because I often end up with odd-sized pieces of wood left that are too high quality to just toss into a scrap bin. But many of these "scraps" could be used for small projects like ukes.

Also, the number of strings does not necessarily indicate relative difficulty. Heh. A violin has only four strings. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
Is the $100 conversion typical? And you can get infinity? Damn… I might have to get one myself! Very Happy

If you do a search, you should find quite a few hits where people have DIY'd the conversion of an FD 85/1.2 (either the old Aspherical or the L) to EOS. This is not a difficult conversion if you're handy. But there are those who do the conversion service if you don't want to. Our member trifox here does it.

@Bigeyes, I have a question: Does your 5D II's focusing screen allow for accurate focus with the 85/1.2 wide open? Or have you changed screens to permit the camera to actually see what the lens does? On the smaller crop-body Canons, the focusing screens are designed for optimal viewing at about f/4, and the problem with them is that if one is viewing at apertures faster than this, the screen does not detect the focusing differences. Very annoying, which forces me to use Live View. It appears obvious that you have your 5D II set up for live view work, but I was wondering more about just still photography using the viewfinder.

I'm asking these questions because I want to get a 5D II one of these days, and I'd like to be able to set it up so the focusing screen won't be a problem with fast manual focus lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

@Bigeyes, I have a question: Does your 5D II's focusing screen allow for accurate focus with the 85/1.2 wide open? Or have you changed screens to permit the camera to actually see what the lens does? On the smaller crop-body Canons, the focusing screens are designed for optimal viewing at about f/4, and the problem with them is that if one is viewing at apertures faster than this, the screen does not detect the focusing differences. Very annoying, which forces me to use Live View. It appears obvious that you have your 5D II set up for live view work, but I was wondering more about just still photography using the viewfinder.

I'm asking these questions because I want to get a 5D II one of these days, and I'd like to be able to set it up so the focusing screen won't be a problem with fast manual focus lenses.

I have no problem to focus with 85/1.2 wide open, I am using live view which can allow u enlarge the image 10x

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigeyes wrote:

I have no problem to focus with 85/1.2 wide open, I am using live view which can allow u enlarge the image 10x

Yes, I know that when using LV, the focusing screen isn't an issue -- because it's being bypassed. My question was specifically regarding using your 85/1.2 wide open with the focusing screen. How does it perform then? Any focusing errors?