Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got Flash (Contax TLA 30)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Got Flash (Contax TLA 30) Reply with quote

I finally decided myself and bought a flash for my 5D.

I have opted for an old Contax TLA 30
Which has some advantages for me:

- it works in full TTL automation with my Contax 167 MT, so I have a flash for it, too.

- the flash head can be tilted up or down

- it comes with a diffuser that allows for use with lenses as wide as 24mm

- it has a voltage of 4, which means it's useable with all Canon digital reflex cameras (which can support up to 6 volts).

-

Last edited by Orio on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty cool, let's see a pic of it.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, it looks boring:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a revival of thyristor flashguns might occur Laughing Best grab a few before prices go up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, I like this design where the head swivels in the body for tilt. Looks
like Gucci made the pouch it stores in, nice. Smile I'll be looking for this,
especially since the trigger voltage is <6V.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, I wrote it wrong - the volts are not 4 (that is the TLA 20) but a mere 2.
So it will be totally safe.

As for the performance, I will let you know. All the online reviews I read praise this model higher than other more expensive contax models.
We'll see, I don't really place a big importance on the flash for my photos, I just wanted not to be without one for the 5D, should a need arise for it.
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm looking at two of them on ebay right now, will see what shakes.
Neither of them have the nice nifty leather bag, though, but of course,
not all that important, just nice. Laughing

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Well, I'm looking at two of them on ebay right now, will see what shakes.
Neither of them have the nice nifty leather bag, though, but of course,
not all that important, just nice. Laughing
Bill

Make sure that they come with their original diffuser, that is very important to have.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the wide angle diffuser is not built into the flash, but separate item?

Hummm, will check.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
So the wide angle diffuser is not built into the flash, but separate item?

Separate, it's a piece of semi-transparent plastic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the flash and it works great with the 5D.
It even works in automatic mode as it's evident from the two following pictures:

Both pictures were taken in manual mode, 1/125 shutter time, f/2.8 aperture for the first one and f/8 aperture for the second one.
As you can see, the 5D adjusted the power of the TLA 30 automatically to make up for the stopped down aperture.

In both pictures, I used the straight (perpendicular) flash orientation, with the diffuser on, because it seems to mellow down the brightest reflections.

I'm very satisfied with the purchase, I was hoping it could work well with the 5D but I wasn't expecting automation.

P.S. Lens was Zeiss Contax 2.8/135
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, Orio, especially the 2nd one, congrats!

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool! I also like manual flash on dslr body.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

As you can see, the 5D adjusted the power of the TLA 30 automatically to make up for the stopped down aperture.

Now, that's a surprise. Makes me wonder what other unexpectedly compatible flashes there might be. On the base of the TLA 30, I can see two contacts at the rear of the main contact. I really need to track down some info on contacts and industry standards (and more importantly, what ones deviated from standard).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it really brings out all the good hidden in the camera (and in the Zeiss 2.8/135 of course):

centre crop:

corner crop! (out of focus!)

I tried it with the flash oriented to the ceiling: the automation works perfectly also. The 5D exactly calculates the power of lighting needed even with bouncing light. How can this happen? Have no idea, but I'm glad it does.

-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey i am looking for 2 flashes atleast to work with Channels Wireless Flash Trigger V2s found here Click here to see on Ebay Basically it would be great if the flashes can be used at full,1/2,1/4,1/8th power...

Can anyone guide me about this ? My cam is a canon 350D, am looking for cheaper flashes..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand new , very cheap ... generally doesn't say good... I suggest to look an old used one with low hot shoe voltage.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy actually.. i am looking for old one Razz ...
Before strobist.com became a rage sb24,26 could be aquired for less, now they cost a lot too... I am looking for old flashes which can be brought at ebay..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so satisfied with my Vivitar 285 HV (I am not sure about exact type) some of them produce high voltage , some of them don't. If you are interest I will take a look on exact type. 20 yrs old and work like a charm.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I am so satisfied with my Vivitar 285 HV (I am not sure about exact type) some of them produce high voltage , some of them don't. If you are interest I will take a look on exact type. 20 yrs old and work like a charm.

Sure Attila, that would be great..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a contax TLA 280. It does not work with the 40D Question Anyone knows why not?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I have a contax TLA 280. It does not work with the 40D Question Anyone knows why not?

I would think it'll work in full-on manual mode if you isolate the extra contacts on the base by slipping a piece of plastic between them, leaving the main front contact alone. If it's a thyristor gun it will cut the flash duration to suit itself. What controls are on it?
I can't find a listing for the trigger voltage of the TLA 280, but from the 20D onwards, the xxD series Canons have been able to cope with a 250V trigger voltage, so that's not a factor anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this thread when looking for a user's manual for my TLA30.
Did you get any, Orio?.

I'm planning to bring the Contax 139 Quartz with the 50mm Planar and the Sigma miniwide II for my holidays, along the TLA30.

I planned to carry the Pentax *istDS as well but after seeing the TLA30 does match your 5D for TTL, I was wondering if my 10D could also use it...

I'll do some testing tomorrow morning, and if it works, probably I'll pick the 10D instead, (to save carrying a second flash unit).

Thanks for the info!.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Just found this thread when looking for a user's manual for my TLA30.
Did you get any, Orio?.

Yes, I must have the manual somewhere, the problem is to find it, it must be inside the boxes (I still have many boxes to open from the house move).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think there might be a manual on the Butkus site, there is one for the TLA20 which I have and use.