Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got Flash (Contax TLA 30)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the TLA30 with the 10D and it doesn't work in TTL mode at all...
Next test: the 1Ds.
What it does puzzle me is the compatibility with the 5D... Normally all the manufacturers use their own protocols to communicate between cameras, lenses and flashes (normally based on I2C transport).

I've found just one protocol compatibility in the past: SIGMA cameras use the same protocol than Canon, so adapting the mount one can use Canon lenses on Sigma cameras. That might make sense because SIGMA is making lenses for Canon cameras, and probably there was some agreement between both companies. (If not, Canon could be taking SIGMA to the courts!).

But Contax...??

The evidences are there, Your pictures show a perfect control, but I don't understand how. The TLA30 has 2 pins in the base (besides the central firing one) and Canon sports 4...

Misterys that we probably we never will know about.

So, I'll be trying the 1Ds, to see if there is some luck there...

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see....

(Answering to myself).

Probably Orio, you said Automatic not referring to the TTL automatic mode but to the "red" and "green" automatic modes of the TLA30. Did you?.

Thanks.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thyristor flashguns were touted as 'automatic' when they came out, because they cut the flash duration short when they detected the reflected light. It's a system that still works well enough for decent results. Offhand, I don't know of any old thyristor gun that would be electronically control compatible with the EOS digital series - even Canon's old film guns are useless on their dSLRs, but can still be used in thyristor auto mode, iirc.

Regarding Sigma - they reverse engineered the protocols for lenses and Canon were powerless to stop them, but some Sigmas never worked properly with later models of EOS as a result of that. Whether Canon did that as a matter of policy, I don't know, but it's likely that Canon just didn't care about Sigma who they regarded as costing them sales of mid-range lenses. For a while, Sigma would re-chip or re-program their lenses for newer cameras, but certain lenses are no longer covered by that warranty.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Sunpak RD2000 for canon 5d Reply with quote

Hi Orio,

Did you try Sunpak RD2000 with canon 5d. I think it is working fine. However the power is less as it requires only 2 AA batteries. I am bidding on a Contax TLA 30 based on your recommendations. Thanks for the post!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would one find the trigger voltage of a Quantum Q-Flash Model-T. The 'Model-T' makes it seem so old (as in the car), don't know what their marketing people were thinking! I dug one up from storage, but the battery is shot. If the trigger voltage is acceptable for my 5D2, 500D and GF-1, I'll start a DIY project to replace the sealed lead acid battery inside. Alternatively, I can try a wireless remote slave for the flash to see how it goes. These remotes are not very expensive, so if it fries, I don't feel so bad. If that happened to my 5D2 or other digital gear Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Trigger voltage for flashes Reply with quote

Hi Wilson,
You can try the following link. I could see few quantum flashes:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, how do you know the voltage is 2?
Is it written in the manual?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

venkatnet,

Thks! I found the site a bit further down in my Google search results.

"Your call" means anything from 6V and 24V also means use at your own risk. I guess I need to get one of those isolators to play it safe.

That's after I find a supplier for the spare battery in my Quantum Turbo Battery.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Got Flah (Contax TLA 30) Reply with quote

I experiment with Metz SCA 380 (Y/C) 45CT4 on eos 5D Mk1. In Green camera shutter speed 180 F 4.5 & flash at F 2.8 with nice results & in AV and Manual mode excellent results. Similar with Metz 36CT2 (borrowed). When I compare results with YN468/540EZ Metz combination gave better colors and contrast. Now will locate Yashica flash or Contax TLA 20 lying on shop.

Last edited by gill on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,

Such automatism, couldn't it be on the flash side instead of in the cam?.
In automatic mode, the flash cuts itself when the beam bounces back to its photocell.
I use an old Nikon SB-24 on my 5D with similar performance, and I'm sure the protocols are not compatible...

Regards.
Jes.