Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got another film cam, this time a Yashica FX70 Quartz
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Got another film cam, this time a Yashica FX70 Quartz Reply with quote

Bidding was so low that I could'nt stand and I did a bid for $10, ended at $9.48 Click here to see on Ebay .
It does include a working flash, a 42-75 lens (I don't know which brand) and a Tamrac carrying case. Not too bad for the price. I was curious to see the Planar 50/1.7 on a native mount....

Now waiting for arrival.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Jes , Yes, a good price for the whole gear. I searched for the camera's manual ( http://www.butkus.org/chinon/yashica/yashica_fx-70/yashica_fx-70.htm ) and saw that it is Av only, at least this is what I undersood but its very good to have the camera selected exposure time displayed in the viewfinder.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! How lucky you are good bargain!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
Congratulations Jes , Yes, a good price for the whole gear. I searched for the camera's manual ( http://www.butkus.org/chinon/yashica/yashica_fx-70/yashica_fx-70.htm ) and saw that it is Av only, at least this is what I undersood but its very good to have the camera selected exposure time displayed in the viewfinder.

Thanks Cosmin, you are faster than me seacrhing for info in the net... Smile

jes,

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Wow! How lucky you are good bargain!

Hi Attila, not always lucky... I'm just waiting to see which is the lens that comes with the camera... That will tell if I've been lucky or not Smile.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool yes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Jes! Great price.

I often use a Canon AL-1 which has Av also (The only one in th FD lens series that does) it's really great for quick shots where you don't have a lot of time.

Use that function and you will be happy!

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cdegroot.com/cgi-bin/photowiki/Yashica_42-75/3.5-4.5_ML
http://www.thaidphoto.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=191547&stc=1&d=1190291470

On a Canon it would be a versatile portrait zoom lens Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
Great Jes! Great price.

I often use a Canon AL-1 which has Av also (The only one in th FD lens series that does) it's really great for quick shots where you don't have a lot of time.

Use that function and you will be happy!

Cheers

Jules

Hi Jules, yes it`s quite a limitation but not a pain in the neck. At the end I use Av most of the time in my digitals... Smile

Jes,

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jes Congrats!

The 42-75 was the "kit" zoom from that era for yashica slr's. The good news is it does have typical yashica build quality and ML coatings. The bad news you can deliver to us after giving a try. I had one in my hands but it had fungus so left it in the shop. I have never used it myself so do not know the IQ Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
http://www.cdegroot.com/cgi-bin/photowiki/Yashica_42-75/3.5-4.5_ML
http://www.thaidphoto.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=191547&stc=1&d=1190291470

On a Canon it would be a versatile portrait zoom lens Smile

You always puzzles me, Cosmin!. How did you find that?.
Maybe you should change your nick to "Googlecarlo", that would be more approriated... Smile

Thanks a lot for the pointer. I see it's not the best lens in the universe, but as you said, in a Canon could be useful. (I got a C/Y to EOS adapter), So we'll ger out of confussion soon,,,

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Hi Jes Congrats!

The 42-75 was the "kit" zoom from that era for yashica slr's. The good news is it does have typical yashica build quality and ML coatings. The bad news you can deliver to us after giving a try. I had one in my hands but it had fungus so left it in the shop. I have never used it myself so do not know the IQ Wink

Hi Andy!

I received this morning the cam, that came with a nice Yashica flash, a Tamrac camera bag in very good shape and the lens.
The first thing I did was to buy fresh batteries and put them into the cam to exercise it. The first shock was seeing all the camera cover degraded (the same kind of gummy mess than the old seals), so touching it was an unpleasent experience. After putting the batteries, the cam stood as quiet and silent as before. Not good luck, the camera doesn't work.
When I got home I first tried the lens on the 350, late in the evening I could'nt tell if the blueish tone was due to the lack of light, so I remain waiting to do more tests.
It's a pity, I was full of expectations to have a C/Y mount camera to be the (film) backup for the 350D for the three C/Y lenses I got currently.

I do prefer people that do not say anything that the ones that tell things like: "...IN BEAUTIFUL CONDITION GUARANTEE TO WORK BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED". The only true part of the sentence was the last one regarding the batteries Smile.

Anyway I didn't pay too much for it, so I don't feel bad, only I'm sorry for the time lost....

Andy, of course if you want to try the lens, it's yours. Smile

Now looking for another CY mount camera...
Any recommendations?.
Thanks in advance,
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pity your camera came dead Sad
When looking for info on Contax/Yashica bodies I use this website. They have info about all camera bodies and some user comments as well. The most affordable models are the Yashica FR1 and in general the FX- models (FX-103, FX-d, FX-70...). Then there's the Contax RTS, 139, 159, 167 (more expensive but a bit better and with more features).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few yashica's about at the minute and not too expensive, you could try an FR1, (manual /aperture priority), or FR2 (av only) they are both good build quality, and I have used them in the dim and distant past. Alternatively theres the Fxd, supposed to be ok and the manual fx3.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad thing to wait a great cam and get a non working one
I wish you best luck for your next one Jes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes,
I have a Yashica FX-2 in full working order that I sell for 50 Euros + shipping.
It's not the top of technology - in fact, all the opposite, it's a real dinosaur Laughing it's a full manual camera. And when I say manual I mean REALLY manual - it does not even have AE mode.

The exposimeter works, but it requires the old Mallory PX625 mercury battery - but I know you are a magician of the DIY so you are probably able to figure out a way to replace it (if you use normal zinc batteries the exposimeter will not be accurate)

The good side of this very spartan camera, is that it's full metal, and never breaks (at least, it never broke for me).
My copy is also in very good looking condition.

Of course there are more advanced models available that might not even cost much more than this - so perhaps it could be a better deal for you to find something else - but in case you would like it, you know it's available - You don't even have to hurry, because I am not in big urge to sell it, since I confess that I really like it Smile But realistically, now that I have two contax cameras, the little yashica is not going to be much used anymore, so it's better if it finds more use at a new owner.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Jes,
I have a Yashica FX-2 in full working order that I sell for 50 Euros + shipping.
It's not the top of technology - in fact, all the opposite, it's a real dinosaur Laughing it's a full manual camera. And when I say manual I mean REALLY manual - it does not even have AE mode.

The exposimeter works, but it requires the old Mallory PX625 mercury battery - but I know you are a magician of the DIY so you are probably able to figure out a way to replace it (if you use normal zinc batteries the exposimeter will not be accurate)

The good side of this very spartan camera, is that it's full metal, and never breaks (at least, it never broke for me).
My copy is also in very good looking condition.

Of course there are more advanced models available that might not even cost much more than this - so perhaps it could be a better deal for you to find something else - but in case you would like it, you know it's available - You don't even have to hurry, because I am not in big urge to sell it, since I confess that I really like it Smile But realistically, now that I have two contax cameras, the little yashica is not going to be much used anymore, so it's better if it finds more use at a new owner.

Orio, sent a PM.
Thanks!,
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

I do prefer people that do not say anything that the ones that tell things like: "...IN BEAUTIFUL CONDITION GUARANTEE TO WORK BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED". The only true part of the sentence was the last one regarding the batteries Smile.

It's really annoying when that happens, even if the seller has covered their arse by saying 'as is'. They don't often go on to claim it's 'guaranteed working' as that numpty did.
Perhaps it was working ok when it was put away a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for your troubles Jes. If you do not take a go with Orios camera try for an FR1. I really appreciate the offer on the ML zoom. I have been a bit slack on posting test shots lately and rarely use zooms for my regular works. Maybe you should offer the lens to a more active member or keep it for your own use. I don't think I deserve to take a lens that I can not show it's virtues Embarassed I have an FR1 I would be happy to send you. The camera works perfectly. It does have a bit of an issue with it's viewfinder. The prism has developed a bright spot on one side (separation?). My favorite of the FR series is the basic FR. It is completely manual (no AE or Tv exposure). The thing I love is the LED light meter indicator. It is very easy to see in all lighting situations unlike some match needle systems. A super solid camera with nice ergonomics. I believe the FX that Orio offers is very similar. Of course my favorite cameras from the yashica/contax era are the simple ones. The RTS II is my absolute favorite followed by the FX3 2000. The 1st is a more pro cam with AE and TTL flash control. The FX3 2000 is a lightweight full mechanical model with only the light meter requiring a battery. Both are in pretty strong demand and can bring a respectively solid price. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Got another film cam, this time a Yashica FX70 Quartz Reply with quote

Aha.. now I know who outbid me! lol

I think you'll find the lens is usual 'kit' Yashica zoom...

Doug...

I ended up with the consolation prize.. a Yashica FX-D SE.. Hmm lol

Jesito wrote:
Bidding was so low that I could'nt stand and I did a bid for $10, ended at $9.48 Click here to see on Ebay .
It does include a working flash, a 42-75 lens (I don't know which brand) and a Tamrac carrying case. Not too bad for the price. I was curious to see the Planar 50/1.7 on a native mount....

Now waiting for arrival.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Got another film cam, this time a Yashica FX70 Quartz Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:

Hi Doug, did I really outbid you?. I didn't know that, but anyway you're in good position to get the camera body for free Wink

I placed a single bid for $10, and I noticed I won when I received the notification email.... I thought the camera was too good to be so cheap!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Sorry for your troubles Jes. If you do not take a go with Orios camera try for an FR1. I really appreciate the offer on the ML zoom. I have been a bit slack on posting test shots lately and rarely use zooms for my regular works. Maybe you should offer the lens to a more active member or keep it for your own use. I don't think I deserve to take a lens that I can not show it's virtues Embarassed I have an FR1 I would be happy to send you. The camera works perfectly. It does have a bit of an issue with it's viewfinder. The prism has developed a bright spot on one side (separation?). My favorite of the FR series is the basic FR. It is completely manual (no AE or Tv exposure). The thing I love is the LED light meter indicator. It is very easy to see in all lighting situations unlike some match needle systems. A super solid camera with nice ergonomics. I believe the FX that Orio offers is very similar. Of course my favorite cameras from the yashica/contax era are the simple ones. The RTS II is my absolute favorite followed by the FX3 2000. The 1st is a more pro cam with AE and TTL flash control. The FX3 2000 is a lightweight full mechanical model with only the light meter requiring a battery. Both are in pretty strong demand and can bring a respectively solid price. Cool

Andy, I've sent you a PM...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Got another film cam, this time a Yashica FX70 Quartz Reply with quote

Hi.. It's quite OK.. I have FAR TOO MANY cameras already, and there are mutterings around here that any more and it will be them out or me! lol

I now have fourty-one 35mm film SLR cameras, a 126 Contaflex, nine 35mm rangefinders, two medium format Mamiyas, six 6x6 TLR's two 4x4 TLRs 3 digital SLR's and... 54 lenses.. you get the picture!

So it is best I didn't win and I'm glad someone on here did!

Doug.

Jesito wrote:
nemesis101 wrote:

Hi Doug, did I really outbid you?. I didn't know that, but anyway you're in good position to get the camera body for free Wink

I placed a single bid for $10, and I noticed I won when I received the notification email.... I thought the camera was too good to be so cheap!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Hi Jes Congrats!

Hi Andy!

I received this morning the cam, that came with a nice Yashica flash, a Tamrac camera bag in very good shape and the lens.
The first thing I did was to buy fresh batteries and put them into the cam to exercise it. The first shock was seeing all the camera cover degraded (the same kind of gummy mess than the old seals), so touching it was an unpleasent experience. After putting the batteries, the cam stood as quiet and silent as before. Not good luck, the camera doesn't work.
When I got home I first tried the lens on the 350, late in the evening I could'nt tell if the blueish tone was due to the lack of light, so I remain waiting to do more tests.
It's a pity, I was full of expectations to have a C/Y mount camera to be the (film) backup for the 350D for the three C/Y lenses I got currently.

Anyway I didn't pay too much for it, so I don't feel bad, only I'm sorry for the time lost....

Andy, of course if you want to try the lens, it's yours. Smile

Now looking for another CY mount camera...
Any recommendations?.
Thanks in advance,
Jes.

I'm sorry Jes. Eventually, you didn't put the batteries wrongly ? I'm wondering, what could be the problem. Maybe the camera does not powers up, but why? Hmm...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:

I'm sorry Jes. Eventually, you didn't put the batteries wrongly ? I'm wondering, what could be the problem. Maybe the camera does not powers up, but why? Hmm...

Thanks for the clue, Cosmin. But I exhausted all the options. First I measured the batteries (to check the voltage is okay). Sometimes fresh batteries ended not being so fresh. In second place, the battery position is clearly stated in the battery cover. I even disassembled the body base to check that the wires that come from the battery and go inside the camera were carrying the proper voltage.
So in my opinion, is not a battery problem (unfortunately).

I have to find a service manual for the FX-70, to evaluate if it's worth or not to invest time in fixing it....

Jes.