Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap lens challenge!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To whoever needs an FD ring - I have two here you can have, just Pm me an address and I'll pop em in the post.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
To whoever needs an FD ring - I have two here you can have, just Pm me an address and I'll pop em in the post.

Thanks Ian, that's very kind of you. I'll PM you.

Regards

Mark

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the results with the X-Fujinon 50mm f1.9 lens that cost me £1.11.

At some point. I will test the lens with my test chart to see how it stacks up against my other 50mm lenses.

I'll post the pictures first, so you can see the results. i've applied a little contrast boost and saturation, but results are pretty good straight out of the camera. Of course, with sunny conditions mean I've only been using it stopped down.

50mm is probably not the best landscape lens on 4/3!

This one was cropped very slightly as well.

I had to make an adapter for this lens as they don't seem to be available commercially. This is what the lens and adapter to 4/3 look like. It allows the lens to focus just slightly beyond infinity.

At the moment, the lens aperture pin is held back with a bit of PTFE. Crude but effective.

I found a simple way of locking the lens to the adapter with a small screw that can bee seen in the picture below. The screw is accessed from the largish hole seen in the above picture at about 7 o'clock position

There is a plastic baffle at the back of the lens which has a peg that fouled the adapter. I could have cut the peg off, but instead, I removed the baffle entirely.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another lens that qualifies for this challenge. It is a Prakticar PB mount 35-70mm zoom f2.8/4. It is, I think, a rebranded Sigma Zoom Master.

I'm always a bit wary about old zooms on digital due to the risk of strong colour fringing, but this one seems to be a nice performer. OK, I've only tested it stopped down (it only arrived today), but the level of fringing is negligible.

BTW, the aperture I give for the 70mm shots is the aperture on the ring. the real aperture will, I assume, be one stop smaller.

The pictures have had a bit of contrast and saturation boost, slightly more than the Fujinon 50mm above which I tested at the same time. I'm not a big fan of overly-vivid pictures, but the Prakticar really needs a bit of a boost as the pictures are a little drab from the camera (Oly EPL1 again).

Some pictures of the lens. It is in excellent condition. I used my home-made PB to 4/3 adapter (plus 4/3 to m4/3 for the EPL1)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, just joined in Smile
Can't help myself from asking, will lenses from a local internet-based forum eligible to participate here also?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minahasa wrote:
Hello all, just joined in Smile
Can't help myself from asking, will lenses from a local internet-based forum eligible to participate here also?

Yes, of course!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can not buy a cheap lens in the contests price range! Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Yashica 28-80/3,9-4,9 mc zoom. I bought it in 1997. I guess its cheap lens now. This is my worst lens. but I don't wanna sell it 'coz it too cheap.
better keep it as my only manual lens zoom now. My friend sell the same lens for $20 nobody took it.

big size

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..well this one is not from that local forum, it's an ebay Buy Now as you can see. nevertheless it's quite a good catch, don't you think?

..please, mind not the shipping cost Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my first try turned out to be a non starter. I got a Hanimex 135mm for 99P which was described as being in good condition but the entire inner tube containing all the glass literally fell out the second I tilted the lens downwards! plus there was fungus inside as well. I know it was only 99p but why do people lie? going to be the cheapest negative feedback the seller ever got! The lens is also covered in scars and cracks. It's completely usless, aperture blades oily, parts missing by the looks of it too! To be honest I don't think this lens would have been any good even if it was brand new, it's probably the worst lens I have ever owned, it's almost entirely made of plastic apart from the built in lens hood!

But good news, I have obtained 2 80-200mm zooms for under £5 too, Hanimex ones.................... Confused

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the plastic Hanimex 135mm a black/dark grey model with a green ring around the top and big font for the numbers on the barrel? I had one like this, with stuck blades, and when trying to fix it the same thing happened i.e. all the glass fell out and I could never stick the damn thing together again!

Just for clarification, this lens went into the bin...in pieces. So either they were all crap or someone fished it out of the bin and sold it onto you Laughing Laughing

BTW, the Hanimex zoom is pretty good if it's the macro version:

http://forum.mflenses.com/cheap-lens-challenge-t38393,start,60.html

(half way down the page)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Was the plastic Hanimex 135mm a black/dark grey model with a green ring around the top and big font for the numbers on the barrel? I had one like this, with stuck blades, and when trying to fix it the same thing happened i.e. all the glass fell out and I could never stick the damn thing together again!

Just for clarification, this lens went into the bin...in pieces. So either they were all crap or someone fished it out of the bin and sold it onto you Laughing Laughing

BTW, the Hanimex zoom is pretty good if it's the macro version:

http://forum.mflenses.com/cheap-lens-challenge-t38393,start,60.html

(half way down the page)

That's the one! I've never seen anything so cheap and nasty! Normally with old manual lenses they are at least quite well made but not this one!

I have two Hanimex zooms arriving soon and I think one of them is the same so that's a good sign!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I bought a Yashica DX 50mm f/1.7 for $10 at a pawn shop a couple of days ago. So can I play?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Okay, I bought a Yashica DX 50mm f/1.7 for $10 at a pawn shop a couple of days ago. So can I play?

Take some pictures and join in

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought 6 Minolta MD lenses in very good condition, a Flash, a Body and some other stuff together for 120€ from a second-hand dealer.

For 120€ I got
Minolta MD Zoom Rokkor 75-200 mm F 4,5
Minolta MD W. Rokkor 35mm 1:2,8
Minolta MD W. Rokkor 24mm 1:2,8
Minolta MD Zoom Rokkor 35-70 mm 1:3,5
Minolta MD Macro Rokkor 100mm F4 + Extension Tube
Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm F1,4
+Stuff

Now, I sold the first 4 on Ebay for about 200€ together
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260777184342&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260777205872&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260777666041&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260777673766&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

Now I have a Minolta MD Macro Rokkor 100mm F4 + Extension Tube and Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm F1,4 for free Smile
Beat that!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought this Tamron 35-80mm 1:2.8-3.5 adaptall QZ-35M on Aug 20, 2010 for $5.50, plus $5.50 shipping.

Description Unit price Qty Amount
Tamron Automatic Zoom lens 35-80mm
Item# 320575588576 $5.50 USD 1 $5.50 USD

Shipping and handling $5.50 USD
Insurance - not offered ----
Total $11.00 USD
Payment $11.00 USD

Sample images:

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this lens a few weeks ago for 490 yen (5 dollars).

Finally got a nikon m42 adapter and had a go with it. I got the cheap adapter without glass so I can't get infinity. Here are a couple of pics.

Crop of the bottom middle daisy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a nice clean Canon FD 50/1.8 @ a pawn shop last week for $15 inc taxes. Got home & discovered the aperture blades were stuck wide open. Sad

Anybody know a fix?

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to find a new lens. Although I thought I sorted the aperture out, it still won't play. On the hunt for another now.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:

If there was a prize you would be a serious contender, great pics! Nice colors, nice sharpness, nice bokeh, love it!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
Yebisu wrote:

If there was a prize you would be a serious contender, great pics! Nice colors, nice sharpness, nice bokeh, love it!

+1
i like that glass too!

greets leo

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
I've bought 6 Minolta MD lenses in very good condition, a Flash, a Body and some other stuff together for 120€ from a second-hand dealer.

For 120€ I got
Minolta MD Zoom Rokkor 75-200 mm F 4,5
Minolta MD W. Rokkor 35mm 1:2,8
Minolta MD W. Rokkor 24mm 1:2,8
Minolta MD Zoom Rokkor 35-70 mm 1:3,5
Minolta MD Macro Rokkor 100mm F4 + Extension Tube
Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm F1,4
+Stuff

Now, I sold the first 4 on Ebay for about 200€ together
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260777184342&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260777205872&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260777666041&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260777673766&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

Now I have a Minolta MD Macro Rokkor 100mm F4 + Extension Tube and Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm F1,4 for free Smile
Beat that!

The 24mm looks like the infamous lens which design was also used by Leica. You really got a bargain there and you sold it...

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If old purchases are allowed,

http://forum.mflenses.com/itohkogaku-higon-135-3-5-preset-samples-t19061,highlight,%2Bhigon.html

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? It definitely seems to fit the terms "cheap" and "obscure" both.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little surprise: REVUENON 1.9/50mm. Can do pop-ups, 3D and even swirls - all in one for under 5 EUR.