Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap lens challenge!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
At least it's an interesting flare, though.

That's what I thought too, it's colourful and almost rainbow-like.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flare? Trioplan can do that, too...

full flare by Jürgen Klumpe, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked a bit like the shelter dog no one would ever take home. And shortly before his bitter end came I said: "Come on, old boy - I'll pay this one Euro for you and give you a place for your last adventures.

Click here to see on Ebay.de

And I even found a companion for you:

Click here to see on Ebay.de

I had never heard about "Astron" before, so I'm quite curious about it. Well and the Tokina 80-200mm f4 is surely not very special, but I like Tokina and Vivitar a lot - so welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just acquired the M42 version of this lens, £19 s/h retail, clean and undamaged. I thought it might come in handy as I haven't a prime w/a wider than 35 in automatic. Well it looks nice but I'll have to run a film behind it to see for real. on mine the script isn't so colourfull and there is no rhombus on the red index?
pro's looks good, small, light, clean and unmarked, no obvious scratching.
Con's Infinity is sticky at stopper, caps aren't original, Bell and Howell is a badge, so who makes it? How good is it?

dimitrygo wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
Great bargain Mark!!

OK, here's my first contender...wait for it...yep, a Bell & Howell 28mm f2.8 prime lens in OM mount Cool Looks like the seller realised their mistake and didn't post the Zuiko after all Laughing

Here's the lens:

OT. Anyone knows who is a maker of this lens? I saw this little rhombus sign on DOF scale on several lenses.

There is no rhombus on mine, otherwise it looks the same! I think it might be badge engineered by Osawa.

Last edited by MTHall on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo...

you were having trouble finding a bargain.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yashica-FX-3-35mm-SLR-Film-Camera-/181027849083?pt=AU_FILM_CAMERAS&hash=item2a2619c37b&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1414

I wish I could tag users in posts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bell & Howell lenses pedigree seems okay acording to this snippet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once owned an Osawa zoom that was an absolute stinker though!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

My only experience with Bell & Howell is back in the early sixties with an 8mm B&H movie camera, basic but very good. A roll of film should provide an insight as to this lens's abilities, right? I hope it's a good lens, I hate buying trash! What happened to the zoom?

Mamiya is indicated on that warranty and they're the doggies bits for good quality optics. I have a selection of TLR lens for C220, also a 2.8/50 for 35mm, all pin sharp

ManualFocus-G wrote:

BenOM put up a couple of fotos on here, taken on the B&H 2.8/28 in 2009, in "Ektar tryout" (page 1) gallery. for reference

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enliten wrote:
Mo...

you were having trouble finding a bargain.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yashica-FX-3-35mm-SLR-Film-Camera-/181027849083?pt=AU_FILM_CAMERAS&hash=item2a2619c37b&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1414

I wish I could tag users in posts.

Thanks, I have seen that camera...I am not sure but I may have it in my watch list.I will most probably let it pass, due to Christmas coming up and I have to buy other things.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would call it a Hell and How lens.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
I would call it a Hell and How lens.....
Or one might think of: How the Hell?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around here , we call them " howl and Bellow " lenses. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this? When Bell & Howell were at one time a top notch premium brand. This is what to expect when we `sell off' a brand for its name! Badge engineered' can go either way in the quality stakes. Back in the beginning of the eighties when these lenses were for sale, Bell & Howell were a well respected and expensive brand, particularly in cine/cinematographic equipment. You can bet that Osawa's licence to put this brand on their product did wonders for their profit margin. Having achieved this market entry, the Japs were well known to slip in a micky to maximize their purse, usually at the end of a deal, hence that dodgy zoom!!
Not having finished putting a film behind it yet, my impression of this 28mm lens is good, it is well made, the optics look okay although I'll expect some vignetting when used wide open it is usual for this to happen at this focal length at what is a fairly fast aperture (F2.Cool. using a Pentax eyepiece focus telescope (hand held!!) the `in focus' centre extends to the edges as far as I can see with this arrangement. This too, isn't at all uncommon. Vignetting and corner to corner sharpness are a `trade off compromise' in wide angle lens design. I would think the effect will diminish a lot when used a couple of stops down.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this thread needs a bump.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a lens for 99p. I think the adapter will cost a bit more Smile

Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendo1 wrote:
Just got a lens for 99p. I think the adapter will cost a bit more Smile

Ken

Leave us in suspense, why don't you? It could be a CZ f1.2 Planar to a plastic meniscus broken out of an old Instamatic!

Wotcha 99p got?

It seems that many photographic outlets that keep some `2nd user' stock for sale, are beginning to see the value of older mechanical cameras and their associated lenses, given that demand controls value, we can expect pricing to reflect this demand. So, I don't think it's looking that far into the future to see this interest of ours being an expensive one! We'll then look back on Ken's little bargain with jealous eyes, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTHall wrote:
I've just acquired the M42 version of this lens, £19 s/h retail, clean and undamaged. I thought it might come in handy as I haven't a prime w/a wider than 35 in automatic. Well it looks nice but I'll have to run a film behind it to see for real. on mine the script isn't so colourfull and there is no rhombus on the red index?
pro's looks good, small, light, clean and unmarked, no obvious scratching.
Con's Infinity is sticky at stopper, caps aren't original, Bell and Howell is a badge, so who makes it? How good is it?

dimitrygo wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
Great bargain Mark!!

OK, here's my first contender...wait for it...yep, a Bell & Howell 28mm f2.8 prime lens in OM mount Cool Looks like the seller realised their mistake and didn't post the Zuiko after all Laughing

Here's the lens:

OT. Anyone knows who is a maker of this lens? I saw this little rhombus sign on DOF scale on several lenses.

There is no rhombus on mine, otherwise it looks the same! I think it might be badge engineered by Osawa.

That B&H lens is identical to my 28mm Osawa that I bought for £1 at a boot sale........I'd give it 5 out of 10 for sharpness Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! a Hellish Bowell! That's pretty good value for money, my M42 mounted version seems okay and you expected a Zuiko? Mind you if that was what was offered...........!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting

Does anyone know what company manufactured that Bell & Howell??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like fun. I must wade through the various pages to see everyone's entries.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

I got an Osawa f3.8 75-150mm Macro in a package deal. I don't carry zooms with me and therefore only have three sample pics uploaded to my flickr, still it had surprised me much to the upside. See unsharpened, original sizes here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157622380220131/with/3979232555/
( had already uploaded reduced and sharpened versions here, but then deleted them, realized it doesn't qualify as I had agreed to pay an additional 10 Euro for it to be thrown in the deal )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

I got an Osawa f3.8 75-150mm Macro in a package deal. I don't carry zooms with me and therefore only have three sample pics uploaded to my flickr, still it had surprised me much to the upside. See unsharpened, original sizes here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157622380220131/with/3979232555/
( had already uploaded reduced and sharpened versions here, but then deleted them, realized it doesn't qualify as I had agreed to pay an additional 10 Euro for it to be thrown in the deal )

I think this zoom was made by Tokina - I saw very similar one with Vivitar badge and s/n starting with 37.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Interesting

Does anyone know what company manufactured that Bell & Howell??

I cannot be sure 100% but to it resembles this Cosina lens:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a great lens. I read this thread and saw a Panagor 80-200 4.5 in near mint condition that was down to two minutes on ebay for 99p, no offers. Lens is made by Kiron, same
as the Vivitar of the same vintage.
I'll have to use it on one of my Nexs. An adapter should cost about £7, for my Nikons it would be about £39 - not worth it for a wee bit of fun.
Delivery should be in two days and then I have to wait for the adapter.

Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
kuuan wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

I got an Osawa f3.8 75-150mm Macro in a package deal....

I think this zoom was made by Tokina - I saw very similar one with Vivitar badge and s/n starting with 37.

the Tokina and Osawa really look the same! There is little information on Osawa on the net, but from what I found Osawa was quite a big lens manufacturer too, made lenses for Mamiya SLRs and for Nikon, Pentax Canon, most under their own name Osawa but possibly also some which even were sold as e.g. "Nikkors"? ( see last comment: http://photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00Fxpe ) possibly it also was the demise of Osawa that led to Mamiya discontinuing it's SLR line: http://www.max.grenkowitz.net/?topic=1073
Just as Tokina Osawa never made it's own camera but lenses for other mounts, how can we know if it was Tokina that made this lens for Osawa, or if it possibly was Osawa that made it for Tokina?