Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap lens challenge!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Huh! You know that Canon outfit I just mentioned? A Hannimex 80-200 was one of the lenses. I got $20 for mine! So you did well.

It's still going in the bin though Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contender for this...

We'll see how bad the fungus is when it arrives here, but I'll take a risk for a fiver.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow, we have someone on Linux Shocked

Looking forward to the Pentacon shots! I've had one before with mushrooms and it worked well, probably the MC helped Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

It's still going in the bin though Laughing

Actually, considering it's wide open, those shots don't look at all bad. Pretty good in fact. I've seen a lot worse. Shame about the stuck aperture, otherwise you would get a decent price if you listed it with images like those.

Great panning technique with the gull by the way.

ManualFocus-G wrote:

OK, here's my first contender...wait for it...yep, a Bell & Howell 28mm f2.8 prime lens in OM mount Cool Looks like the seller realised their mistake and didn't post the Zuiko after all Laughing

What can I say about the lens? Well, it vignettes heavily wide open and isn't sharp. At all. Corners are terrible Laughing By f8 is usable I guess Wink

Ouch! That's not a nice trick. I'm shocked that a lens designed for 35mm film should vignette so badly on full frame. This one's a turkey I'm afraid to say.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Looking forward to the Pentacon shots! I've had one before with mushrooms and it worked well, probably the MC helped Smile

I plan on removing the 'shrooms after this Wink

My laptop uses Linux, as does the desktop, though that dual-boots with Windows7 for Image-editing purposes (Photoshop, though expensive, rules).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

I have a Linux box, also -- running Ubuntu. I have my peripherals set up so that my Windows box and Linux box both share a single monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and I have this high-tech switch thingie I paid $100 for to do the switching chores. It's started messing up though. Now when I boot to my Linux machine, the monitor and mouse work, but it can't find the keyboard. Grrr . . . .

Gotta admit, when it works Ubuntu is pretty cool. It loads in about 1/4 the time it takes Windoze to load, and runs great on older hardware without a lot of memory.

So, NewStuff, you don't care for Gimp? Can't say that I do, either. It's okay, but just feels clunky to use. Sure would be nice if Adobe would port PS, or even better, CS, to Linux.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried GIMP both with and without GIMPshop, but didn't get on with it. I used Paint Shop Pro from v2 until V8 on a windows boot, and then was taught to use Photoshop when working for a small independent, and haven't looked back since. I make the odd foray into image and video wditing FOSS at upgrade time, to see if anything has changed enough for me to avoid shelling out money to Adobe, but so far, nothing I can live with, and Adobe makes another not insignificant wad if cash from me.

I use LinuxMint/Win7 x64 on the desktop, and an Ubuntu/mint dualboot on the laptop.It works well enough for me, and everything else short ofof Image and Video editing are done within a *nix operating environment.

Last edited by NewStuff on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used PSP from v4 to v9, and I don't mind admitting it, I still use it, but mostly the PSP X2 Ultimate flavor, which is actually v12.5. I still use 9 on occasion. I have CS5, but you know, I find PS to be rather sparse in the tools department compared to PSP X2, and just the way its user interface is designed is clunky compared to PSP X2. Or maybe it's just because I don't know PS well enough to appreciate it for the brilliant software it allegedly is . . . .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lens for the contest
Carenar 28mm M42 Mount

f2.8

f5.6

f16

f22

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would give an update on the bundle of "spares or repair" lenses I bought since they arrived today.

I will post pictures of the as they arrived. I have made no attempt to tart them up at all. Hopefully, they will be a good deal better once restored. Wink

First, the Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8. This has a smooth focus. The aperture ring is rather stiff but the aperture opens and closes properly and has no oil. There is a fair bit of fungus inside, but it looks quite light and so the coatings may not be badly affected. There do not appear to be any major scratches, but a full assessment will have to wait until the external dirt has been cleaned off. I'm hopeful this will clean up nicely.

The X-Fujinon 55mm f2.2 looks in very good condition, requiring only external cleaning of the optics, but the aperture is stuck wide open. I am optimistic that I will be able to fix this.

the Helios 44M has a big bash on the filter ring. The focus is very stiff (but moveable). The auto/manual switch does nothing. The rear element has been covered in goo from the packaging and the front element has some slight cleaning marks. But the aperture is oil free and opens and closes properly. after a good clean, I reckon this should be perfectly useable.

Finally, the Canon FD 50mm f1.8. This has some light fungus but otherwise the optics look fine. There are no problems with the aperture either. The real problem is that part of the lens mount is missing! Using this one will take some ingenuity. Anyone got any suggestions on how to graft a mount onto an FD lens? I'm afraid to say this is the only FD lens I have so I am not familiar with the way the mount should look.

So, I reckon I should get three useable lenses (Konica, Fuji and Helios) at a cost each of £4. Watch this space for pictures when I've cleaned them up. Now, where did I put that cold cream....

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update, this time on my DIY Fujica-X to 4/3 adapter. I had a bit of time on my Uncle's lathe today and made good progress. I am using the female bayonet ring from a Fujica-X teleconverter and am going to mount it on a machined down Chinese OM-4/3 adapter. Getting the adapter machined down enough to give infinity focus and allow the lens to fit in required going quite thin (~0.5mm) in a small zone, but it should be more than strong enough for a light lens like the 50mm.

The next step is to screw the two parts together. I am waiting for some M1.6 screws and taps to arrive to do that (the original screws are about 1.6mm diameter but they are a coarser thread pitch. )

After that, the remaining jobs will be:

Some means of holding the aperture pin back (I may just do that on the lens with a wedge)
    Devise a locking pin (not sure how to do this yet, but it will not stop me using the lens anyway)
    Adjust for infinity focus on the lens itself. I think I machined about 0.1mm too deep so it goes just beyond infinity. Usually, it is easy to adjust the lens itself by this amount by moving the focus ring relative to the helicoid.

Of course, I am aware this is an insane amount of effort to go to just to use a basic 50mm lens that cost £1.11. But, it keeps me off the streets.... Smile

The two parts: left - machined OM-4/3 adapter; right - Fujica-X flange from cheap vivitar TC

Quite a lot of machining was needed on the 4/3 flange

The two parts together, just needing holes tapping and screws (and a good clean).

the end result should look quite smart Cool

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the aforementioned Pentacon 135 today. The fungus is very very small... the big problem is the large fingerprint *inside* the lens. Obviously been apart at some point, by someone who doesn't know to wear gloves. I suspect this has been mistaken for Fungus. Cosmetically, this lens has been extremely well used, those pictures were most complimentary. Still, for a fiver, I'll have a play, and see what I can do.

EDIT:-

Having had a good close look at the lens, I can only conclude that the previous person to take apart this lens was infact a Penguin, high on coke and LSD, with physical disabilities, including partial blindness.

Yup, it's knackered, someone opened it, and only put part of it back together, and almost certainly not correctly. Got rid of the fingerprint though, together with some internal dust, and I should be able to use it Wide open to get some shots. After that, I'll disassemble it, and learn exactly how a lens is put together,. and see if I can repair it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:

Finally, the Canon FD 50mm f1.8. This has some light fungus but otherwise the optics look fine. There are no problems with the aperture either. The real problem is that part of the lens mount is missing! Using this one will take some ingenuity. Anyone got any suggestions on how to graft a mount onto an FD lens? I'm afraid to say this is the only FD lens I have so I am not familiar with the way the mount should look.

Well, here's a bit of good news for your Canon lens. It appears by the above photo that the only thing it lacks is the knurled breechlock ring and the 2 or 3 screws that hold it in place. The rest of the mount all appears to be there and in place. I also note yours is one of the more uncommon FD breechlock lenses that has the switch at the rear -- that black lever on the bottom base plate that has a white dot and a red L above it. Apparently Canon was installing those exterior switches briefly before designing an internal switch that would accomplish the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Michael. I guess I could try and find another FD lens in poor condition to steel the locking ring off. Or maybe a teleconverter would have a suitable ring on the camera side?

Alternatively, I could make my own coupling piece. I'll have to clean the lens up first to see if it is worth the effort.

Do you have an opinion on the quality of this lens?

Also, thanks for explaining about the lever. Knowing what that does means I won't have to worry about implementing an aperture stop down pin in any adapter I might make.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:

Do you have an opinion on the quality of this lens? Mark

Erm you jest...all FD (breechlock) and FDN (bayonet) PRIMES, range from very good to wow. An example to other Japanese companies on how not to palm off crap primes to the consumer e.g Yashica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
SXR_Mark wrote:

Do you have an opinion on the quality of this lens? Mark

Erm you jest...all FD (breechlock) and FDN (bayonet) PRIMES, range from very good to wow. An example to other Japanese companies on how not to palm off crap primes to the consumer e.g Yashica

+1 for Yashica primes except some compact version in CY mount.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cleaned up the Konica Hexanon 40mm. Everything is fine except the rear element which has a mottled coating from fungus damage. But it's not too bad.

I've just taken some pictures with it and have chosen the following for my entry to the competition

Landscape:

Flower:

Free choice:

There is no PP on any of these pictures.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
Thanks for the info Michael. I guess I could try and find another FD lens in poor condition to steel the locking ring off. Or maybe a teleconverter would have a suitable ring on the camera side?

Alternatively, I could make my own coupling piece. I'll have to clean the lens up first to see if it is worth the effort.

Do you have an opinion on the quality of this lens?

Also, thanks for explaining about the lever. Knowing what that does means I won't have to worry about implementing an aperture stop down pin in any adapter I might make.

Mark

Hey Mark, a tc's ring would probably work, but if the ring comes off a lens or tc that is a different brand from Canon, then I would be doubtful it will interchange without some modification. Might be worth a try though. That 50/1.8 SC is a fine lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron Adaptall-2 80-210mm F/3.8-4 Model 103A (info)

If the lens is in good shape I will post the results over the next weekend, if the weather is right.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think that it'll make the top ten of the cheap price challenge, but I found a Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:2/35 in a very good condition (except for some aberrations on the focus ring) for 25 Euros on a flea market recently.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoacker wrote:
Well, I don't think that it'll make the top ten of the cheap price challenge, but I found a Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:2/35 in a very good condition (except for some aberrations on the focus ring) for 25 Euros on a flea market recently.

Hey that's an incredible deal! You paid about 20% of its value, great work!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Hey that's an incredible deal! You paid about 20% of its value, great work!

Yes, I knew it was cheap. But no more great deals available at this desk. Believe me I had a very close look at the lenses...

There's some pictures on my flickr account, if you like to have a look: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoacker/

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some excellent shots on your Flickr profile Holger, I need to spend some time this week looking at them all! Do you just shoot with MF lenses?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
You have some excellent shots on your Flickr profile Holger, I need to spend some time this week looking at them all! Do you just shoot with MF lenses?

Partly, yes. There's a mix of MF (mostly short focal lengths) and AF (the longer focal legths) on my flickr account. Have a look at the body, if it's 5D, it's manual. The 7D pictures are AF...

Edit: Many thanks for judging some of my pictures excellent... Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, "Kraftwerk Karlsruhe im Dunst" was AF. Thanks, I really appreciate you looking at my photos...

Well, what's this Southampton street Party thing? Looks quite interesting on your flickr...