Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Itohkogaku Higon 135/3.5 preset - samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Itohkogaku Higon 135/3.5 preset - samples Reply with quote

This is a lens I bought from *Bay a few days ago for 4.50 EUR + post. I was interested, because
I had never heard about this brand, and theres very little written about it in the net. After all, it wasnt a M42 lens, as advertised, but a T-mount, which is actually better for me, because I had a suitable T-adapter for Nikon and with it I can focus to infinity.

From the pictures, it looks much like a Tele-Kominar or a Lentar lens. See
http://forum.mflenses.com/tele-kominar-135mm-f3-5-t7180,highlight,kominar.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/lentar-preset-135-3-5-t-mount-what-is-this-t16105,highlight,lentar.html

Any idea about the manufacturer? Itoh Kogaku? Why else mention this on the lens?

It is a smallish, all-metal, well-build, single-coated, preset lens from the 60s, I believe. The iris has 16 blades, and I like the simpleness of the aperture close-down-ring without any confusing markings, just a red triangle. It works smooth, and very easy to turn with your index finger. Minimum focus distance could be better, its only 2 meters. And the lens flares pretty badly, so I have to find a 49 mm hood for this (fortunately my 135mm CZJ has also 49 mm filter ring).

The lens with my other 135s.

Heres some samples

1. At f/4

2. At f/8

3. Bokeh at f/3.5

4. At f/5.6

5. At f/5.6

6. At f/4

7. With Nikon PK-13 extension ring (27.5 mm) at f/8

I dont recommend this for close-up shots.

Last edited by Gurdie on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good shots!Lens look similar to old silver takumar 135 3.5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting catch !

I have seen these Itoh Higon lenses around (fairly rare). Its most likely a manufacturers brand. The design and details are, besides the similarities to most lenses of the time, unique as far as I can tell.

There are several lines of lenses in the 1960's with still unidentified makers, perhaps this is another candidate maker. Alternately Itoh changed its name to something more marketable.

Another mysterious make is Kawanon, also unique designs.

One of the fascinations with the Japanese lens industry.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luis!!

Kawanon = Norita ?

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rino,

I don't think so. Norita made a very few 35mm lenses but these were expensive.

Who knows though.

I checked my notes - I have a reference to a

Kawakami Seiki Seisakusho Ltd.

as the user of the "Kawanon" brand.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your interest and comments.

@Luis: from a Japanese optical equipment manufacturers list I found
Ito Kogaku Kikai Seisakujo. Inc. (code JB113). Maybe this is the manufacturer? Do you know anything about it? Didnt find anything else but this name in the net.

There is about 260 names in that list, so for a mystery brand lens theres a lot of possible manufacturers. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Rino,

I don't think so. Norita made a very few 35mm lenses but these were expensive.

Who knows though.

I checked my notes - I have a reference to a

Kawakami Seiki Seisakusho Ltd.

as the user of the "Kawanon" brand.

OK, Thanks Luis.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that this post was recently mentioned in the "Cheap lens challenge" thread.

I actually have a lens that bears a striking resemblance to yours. It's labeled as a "Soligor" and is a f2.8. But it too is a T-mount, has a 2m minimum focus distance, and has a very interesting 16 blade aperture. Any chance they are the same manufacturer?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that seems to be one of these Itoh lenses.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they are the same max aperture too; one rounded up and the other rounded down.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this Komura might be a brother if it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a surprise lens indeed. Thanks for sharing.

What do you think of this lens compared to your czj 135?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it is not related to the Komura, but no proof either way. At the very least it has a sexy name.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
What do you think of this lens compared to your czj 135?

If you meant me, I havent made any direct comparisons, but I generally find the CZJ be sharper and more contrasty. I paid about 17 euros for it, so do I find it four times better? Cool No, but the difference is bigger than 13 euros...

I cannot reach infinity with the CZJ, though, with a Nikon body. I could try to remove the limiting stops screw. I have seen the instructions somewhere...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ber sharp photos, great catch!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's interesting. My newer preset Soligors with 96 and 97 serial numbers (Kino) have a similar aperture blade formation:

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-big-soligor-thread-t33736,highlight,%2Bsoligor+%2Bthread.html

I also had a Soligor 100-200/5.6 with the same formation, also a Kino lens (according to the work done here on Soligor serials) - see the bottom of this page:

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-big-soligor-thread-t33736,highlight,+soligor++thread,start,30.html

Could the Itoh lenses be early Kinos?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 DIN wrote:

So sorry to be digging up old threads, but I'm trying to identify the mount on komura lens that looks very similar to this one. What type of mount does it have? And does the mounting piece screw off?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly not helpful as they are completeely different focal lengths but I have a Higon Itohkogaku 200mm 4.5 and Sankyo Kohki Komura 35mm 2.5. they are quite different, the komura is a unidapter mount and the Higon a T2.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I'm glad someone dug this thread up. I have the same 135/3.5 lens, but Branded as an INA. I'll find some pictures to follow in a minute...

Here you go... I think it's the same.

[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 DIN wrote:

I notice the aperture and focus is the opposite way round on yours. perhaps similarity in looks as opposed to belonging to the same
family.?

I dug mine out, the barrel is a little different but otherwise the lens is more similar to this one than the Itohkogaku Higon. The 16blades aperture is almost circular.