Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele Kominar 135mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Tele Kominar 135mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Ran into a socalled 'Tele Kominar' in a 'junk basket' in a used camera store in Osaka. It's focusring turns not easily but otherwise it seems to be fine.

It looks like this:
( sorry, handheld shots made fast at low light = wide open ):

the writing on top looks like this

It takes quite nice fotos:
( in case anybody is annoyed I post quite big size photos: I upload them to my flickr site for hosting where I can choose 'large' or 'medium' size, and I think the medium is just too small to appreciate the quality )

happy about this find!

cheers,
Andreas

Last edited by kuuan on Tue May 20, 2008 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good hunting!
You have a good hand for select old lenses. Very nice pictures. The Taxis are black in Japan, a contrast to USA. The Crow-Picture is amazing, so unsharp on Top and so sharp in the bottom, this is a good lens.

greetings Peter

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot better what I expected.. Nice lens! I have same with Komura label.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you !

It would be very nice if you could post a close-up of the text and DOF scale while close-focused, so I can compare vs my Soligor lenses.

A used lens bin in Osaka you said ? That sort of place would be a good source of many odd lenses probably never exported.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Andreas! I don't know about this lens but the shots are superb Shocked

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padiej wrote:
Good hunting!
You have a good hand for select old lenses. Very nice pictures. The Taxis are black in Japan, a contrast to USA. The Crow-Picture is amazing, so unsharp on Top and so sharp in the bottom, this is a good lens.

greetings Peter

thank you Peter, yes me too I like the lens quite a lot. And I start to like the presets more and more!

Attila wrote:
Lot better what I expected.. Nice lens! I have same with Komura label.

doesn't look too bad Attila, hey?

luisalegria wrote:
Thank you !

It would be very nice if you could post a close-up of the text and DOF scale while close-focused, so I can compare vs my Soligor lenses.

Here you go Luis:

some other visible reasons why it was sold for junk...

luisalegria wrote:
A used lens bin in Osaka you said ? That sort of place would be a good source of many odd lenses probably never exported.

Yes, I hope I shall find a few more.
I had offered in my post abt. the 85mm Kominar that I could help members here to find lenses, specially japanese. There was no answer to that, I am afraid that my offer is misunderstood and that maybe some are even not happy about this. Anyway, my offer stands.

poilu wrote:
wow Andreas! I don't know about this lens but the shots are superb Shocked

Thank you Poilu, please also look at my photos at flickr.
This lionks go direct to my manual lens folder: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/collections/72157604973031858/
but anybody interested in photos from Japan or a couple of other asian countries may enjoy the other photos as well. ( Strangly, since I started to use the manual lenses my photos get less hits, though I like them..)

these also taken with the Kominar:

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Andreas !

It is in some ways similar to my Soligor (same font style, colors) but different in others, such as the device on the DOF scale, and the helical works the other way.

From that source I am interested in Komura items and old Pentax screw-mount items if these are available at low cost.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Luis,
I needed an adapter for my Komura 200mm 3.5 lens (uni auto) to fit on an m42 adapter to fit on my eos 20D. I thought I had found one and bought it, but it doesn't fit; maybe it is an autodapter. But it is for a m42 screw mount. It has the letters ES. Would you be interested?

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Peter!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peterr,

I could be. What does it look like ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens looks very similar in physical appearance to one of the early versions of the Takumar - the one with the preset mechanism of course!

Many of these early 135s with a f3.5 maximum aperture seem to be excellent performers. This one appears to eb no exception.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm1 wrote:
This lens looks very similar in physical appearance to one of the early versions of the Takumar - the one with the preset mechanism of course!..

yes Peter, it looks almost exactly like the preset Takumar 2.8/105, but the 135 is a bit longer, here the Tak:

finally got the Kominar's stiff focus ring fixed

first 3 pics no PPing besides RAW to jpeg conversion with default settings in Lightroom
wide open:

( bigger: http://u1.ipernity.com/12/31/68/6093168.d157a259.jpg )

f5.6:

( bigger: http://u1.ipernity.com/12/31/67/6093167.b2740870.jpg )

wide open:

( bigger: http://u1.ipernity.com/12/31/66/6093166.73c093dc.1024.jpg )

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Very nice pics again, Andreas.

I saw a sankor 2,8/135 pre set, very similar to your all black komine.

But who know. . . .

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Rino.

I always have been considering this lens to be very good, sharp and I liked it's colors, but due to it's stiff focus ring had not used it much.
Now after these test shots it seems to me that it is remarkably sharp also wide open, what do you think?

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas, maybe the lens does not matter and in this case it's the photographer who is the determining factor? I like your style and your choice of subjects very much!

(Yes, it's sharp and all, but those are not just lens test pics...)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
thank you Rino.

I always have been considering this lens to be very good, sharp and I liked it's colors, but due to it's stiff focus ring had not used it much.
Now after these test shots it seems to me that it is remarkably sharp also wide open, what do you think?

best regards,
Andreas

I think the same. Very nice lens, sharp and with good colors.

Stiff focus? It's easy to fix. Only that? Or Spotmatic is right?

Several times is our distance to the subject that make to us feel more comfortable and then, that distance makes one lens better to us than others.

That happen to me with the 135 and the 85 mm. I like to be close to the subject, and that circumstance makes me feel better with the 85 mm lens.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw that an old thread asking for the 'best, small 3.5/135 lens' had been resurrected recently and by chance, also after some years, I just used the lens that I had recommended there, the Tele Kominar again.
I think it is smaller even than the fabulous Canon LTM both including their respective E mount adapters.
On Sony A7:

ducks.. by andreas, on Flickr

and on NEX5n:

Untitled by andreas, on Flickr

Untitled by andreas, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant stuff Andreas!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.
I still want more preset lenses, something about them I really like.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Luis Smile
Lightshow I prefer presets, not only for their second, actual aperture ring to run freely, most usually I just set the preset ring to fully closed down, but also because their aperture ring, just like on most old rangefinder lenses, is located towards the front of the lens. Specially when used, as most of us and I do, with adapters, I find the aperture ring at the front much more easy to locate 'blindly' than those that end up near to the adapter.

more similar stuff ( taken from the same spot as the first 2 above ) on NEX5n ( on APS-C simply for the reach )
ploughing the rice field by andreas, on Flickr