Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon is going mirrorless!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm..what do you think of this official Canon sample image??
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eosm/downloads/09.jpg

taken from here: http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eosm/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sample looks good, but what lens did they use I wonder?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's with the kit zoom. I guess if you put a nice glass in front ( like contax g) it will be much better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice effect in that sample shot, look at the mountains in the distance. It's like one of those "paint by number" paintings I used to make when I was young Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the glass is more to blame than the sensor or camera.

Canon are not known for making good lenses in their budget and mid level pricings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon's sample images are always terrible, did you see the hysteria aroun threir 5D II and III samples? Not to mention their 1DX samples Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is obvious than Canon do not want to do it right.
This camera looks like a toy compared to my NEX-5N, for instance.

A new disappointment from Canon, after the 5D MK III "update".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But does it look like a toy compared to the Nex-3 and Nex-5, which were Sony's first efforts? Because this is Canon's first effort after all Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like a toy, but looks are deceiving, having the 650D sensor surely means it's far from a toy, even if it looks like one.

I really don't like the shiny body without a grip bulge, I doubt it's very nice to hold and handling is less than ideal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is new, the camera indeed looks boring, like a toy. Yet it is not cheap.

Japanphoto already has it, for 1.000+ euro?!?!?! WTF?

http://www.japanphoto.se/product/digital-systemkamera/canon/canon-eos-m-svart-ef-m-18-55-stm-speedlite-90ex/

I'm really confused.

On a related subject, the price of the cannon 1100d has recently gone down on most retailers. Walking in the streets of central Stockholm every day, I've been noticing a ridiculous amount of tourists holding this camera. Suddenly it is all over the place.

What quality is to be expected with these kit lenses? The canon SLR kit lenses are pretty absurd/useless. I would expect something better here maybe...?

Last edited by jito on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Swedish currency is not euro. Use a currency converter to see the real price Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
No, Swedish currency is not euro. Use a currency converter to see the real price Wink

It was a typo, sorry. 9000kr is roughly a bit above 1.000 euro. Anyway, I think that is expensive. Why is it so much more expensive than Nex3, nex5, etc.?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1,000eu is ridiculous, considering I paid 189ukp last year for a brand new NEX-3 with 16mm kit lens and 179ukp a few months ago for a new Samsung NX100 with 20-50 zoom.

I could buy a new Samsung NX20 with 20mp sensor and EVF plus 18-55 zoom for less than 700ukp so this Canon is 2-3x overpriced.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jito wrote:
Japanphoto already has it, for 1.000+ euro?!?!?! WTF?

Yep, too expensive in my opinion. Portability is not all in a camera with SLR pretensions.

jito wrote:
The canon SLR kit lenses are pretty absurd/useless. I would expect something better here maybe...?

This is a bold statement and the type of statements that spread rumours.
How many hours have you used a Canon kit lens before taking such a conclusion? Yeah they are plastic, even the mounts, but they sure as hell aren't useless, most of the times the person behind the camera is the useless element not the lens. Compare it to 'L' series lens and let me know if the quality increase is directly proportional to the hundreds of dollars on the price tag Wink

Overall this 'M' concept from Canon may be a winner in a recent future but so far I have not read positive enough impressions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Portuguese, nice Smile

Quote:
This is a bold statement and the type of statements that spread rumours.
How many hours have you used a Canon kit lens before taking such a conclusion? Yeah they are plastic, even the mounts, but they sure as hell aren't useless, most of the times the person behind the camera is the useless element not the lens. Compare it to 'L' series lens and let me know if the quality increase is directly proportional to the hundreds of dollars on the price tag

Unfortunately I have been using it for thousands of family pictures and been frustrated about it. My frustration with the results is what made me search for alternatives. And that's how I ended up getting interested in manual focus primes. I'm cool with the plastic build, but where my kit lens fails is when it comes to deliver the basics, proper resolution and good color rendition.
When I start looking into manual focus lenses I started by buying a used OM Zuiko 50 1.8, and suddenly I was getting the kind of result I've been looking for. I even refrained from going wider than 5.6 for a weekend just to be sure I wasn't being deceived by the dramatic effect of shallow DoF.
I feel like I have been fooled by countless positive reviews on the internet.

I'll agree that there is a certain anti-canon vibe in these forums, which I don't like. I like canon. But lets admit it, at least part of the criticsm is valid.

I have no idea how other brands' kit lens perform, maybe the all suck, I don't know. My canon 1100d is my first non P&S camera, I'm a newbe.
For 1.000 euro it is rather lame if the included lens is similar its EF-S cousin. But I guess this goes into the opinion domain.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the concern with the color rendition in digital era.
Kit lenses are not the best tool for sure but the classic and affordable 18-55 IS is a good lens for the price, much more than other pricier stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jito wrote:

For 1.000 euro it is rather lame if the included lens is similar its EF-S cousin. But I guess this goes into the opinion domain.

I agree, lame indeed. Samsung can bundle the superb 20-50 kit lens with it's NX cams and they are a hell of a lot cheaper then this Canon so no reason why Canon can't also bundle an excellent lens with the camera, especially if they are charging such a high price for it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilguercio wrote:
I don't understand the concern with the color rendition in digital era.
Kit lenses are not the best tool for sure but the classic and affordable 18-55 IS is a good lens for the price, much more than other pricier stuff.

The 18-55mm IS was definitely an improvement over the original kit lens. I see millions of them in use, so they can't be that bad Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand this picture?
Where is the adapter?

ok .. it is there but what a creative use of IS buttons box. Smile