Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon is going mirrorless!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I agree that Samsung have a great system, but failing miserably to make any impact in sales. However, the main strength of their system is a good selection of well priced native lenses paired with APS-C sensor. I guess it's too subtle for most buyers, since m4/3 has the best selection of native lenses, while NEX has the best sensor.

As a platform for legacy glass though, Samsung is not that great. m4/3 has a distinct edge for Tele lenses, while NEX has distinct edge for wides due to better sensor, peaking, smaller form factor. In addition Samsung loses not only on c-mounts, but also on Leica M glass.

+1

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be the first to say although I am very satisfied with the pics from the GH2, I know it is not it's strong point. I think if not most, a good chunk of people buy the GH2 as a video camera first and foremost. It's even been used for national geographic now Shocked I bought it for the video, because that's the direction I wanted to head. Some are even using stills from the video because of the softer skin tones, and advanced color profiles. You are of course limited to 1080 vertical pixels, but for most uses it's adequate. Panasonic obviously didn't want to create a high end video camera that ate up 16gb memory cards in 10 minutes for the general consumer, or else I am sure they would have let it breathe more. They have admitted watching the hack progress though, and many are suspecting the GH3 is gonna come out of the gate with some balls. But then, we tend to mix what we wish for with reality at times.. Sorry if I am too proud, but as my first genuine HD camera I could not be a more happy clam. I am sure though that canon has paid close attention to hacks too, as well as others, and I do think late 2012 is gonna be a big year for the micro 4/3 party. I think they all know the expectations are big at this point, or maybe I am just wishin some more, but really what do I care, I have a hacked GH2 Cool

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered the NX 100 (200 was out of my financial range ) as I just wanted to upgrade my G9 . The high iso files I've seen were diddapointing for an APS-C sensor camera. I think that many buyers noticed this rather modest and surprising low performance in High ISO (for APS-C sensor) and this affected the sales. I understand that the NX 200 is better ,because its new generation sensor.
Another point that I belive that penalises Samsung NX is the lack of image stabilisation at least on the kit and primes.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: m4/3 roxx Reply with quote

Year ago I was looking for a good small camera. After long considerations I picked Olympus PEN E-P1 for size, build quality and the fact that m4/3 was still growing. Now I have few c-mount lenses, few canon fd lenses and some more and I'm happy that I choose it wisely. Other systems have matrix too big for c-mounts (NEX) or too small to give me enough image quality.

I was waiting for Canon or Nikon to release mirrorless, Nikons cost too much and Sony NEX doesn't have hot-shoe.

Now I don't believe that Canons mirrorless can beat m4/3, probably they will be securing lol-level dslrs by cutting mirrorless possibilities. I want to have max possibilities per price ratio, in this case m4/3 is unbeatable Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Sony Nex cameras CAN use c mount lenses. Not the wider ones, but you can use longer ones as the sensor is larger giving a wider field of view anyway Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
But Sony Nex cameras CAN use c mount lenses. Not the wider ones, but you can use longer ones as the sensor is larger giving a wider field of view anyway Wink

Yup, some C mounts do work fine on the NEX, I have a 50mm one that covers the sensor (just) and had a Fujinon-TV 1.8/75 that did too (just again) but my experience of c mount lenses is that they are not upto the standards of SLR and RF lenses, I kept the only one that was (the 50mm which is unmarked but I think it's an f1.2).

C-mount zooms, I've tried about a dozen and none of them came close to covering the NEX sensor, even the Canon TV-16 ones which are for 1-inch tubes.

IMHO the NEX sensor is deserving of better than a C-mount lens offers.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
IMHO the NEX sensor is deserving of better than a C-mount lens offers.

Agreed. IMHO Sony NEX is great cam but it's kinda small with kinda large lenses, this disproportion is a big disadvantage. In m4/3 or N1 proportions between lenses and bodies are a lot better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy's what do you think of this news?

http://www.canonwatch.com/rumor-canon-mirrorless-system-camera-quick-update/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:

I don't know ... I am expecting rather the G1X sensor .I doubt that they developped this sensor only for the G1X series

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
stingOM wrote:

I don't know ... I am expecting rather the G1X sensor .I doubt that they developped this sensor only for the G1X series

Exactly what I thought, doesn't make sense to develop that sensor just for fixed lens cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorta related. Possible features for the new mirroless cam.
http://gizmodo.com/5917037/is-the-canon-t4i-a-future-mirrorless-camera-hiding-in-plain-sight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: first image Reply with quote

first image of the camera?:
http://photorumors.com/2012/07/20/first-image-of-the-upcoming-canon-mirrorless-camera/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting...if they keep the 1.6x sensor then that 22mm lens becomes a 35/2 equivalent! Just what I was looking for when I bought the GF1 with 20/1.7 Smile Fingers crossed for aps-c.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even being the leader on the dSLR market all the other brands understood what Canon only now realized, the mirrorless system is now a well established format not just a concept and they severely threaten, in my honest opinion, a large share of the dSLR market. Why?
How many hardcore dSLR users have now gone mirrorless (even in MFLenses!)? Lots! The hassle of a full sized body is many times just that, an hassle they don't need. Mirrorless cameras are now the perfect trade off between image quality and flexibility. You get similar IQ to a dSLR but slightly less flexibility due to less dedicated physical interface.

I am seriously starting to believe that either entry-level dSLR's will disappear, because people either go for a mirrorless body or they get something a step up, meaning that either they go compact and economical or they opt for a full fledged solution with no technical compromises at all.

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Very interesting...if they keep the 1.6x sensor then that 22mm lens becomes a 35/2 equivalent! Just what I was looking for when I bought the GF1 with 20/1.7 Smile Fingers crossed for aps-c.

I believe they have no other way of winning a market share on this format actually and I like the idea of Canon throwing in something for Sony to think of. Today we can get a NEX-3 for a very competitive price considering we are purchasing a 1.6x sensor so with Canon on the run.. we'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

If the sensor is the same as the one in G1X (1.85 crop) then 22mm would be something like 40mm equivalent so more or less a normal lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

If the sensor is the same as the one in G1X (1.85 crop) then 22mm would be something like 40mm equivalent so more or less a normal lens.

Most rumours say it's an aps-c sensor. Either way, 35mm or 40mm is fine for street stuff Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 18-55mm kit lens indicates an aps-c sensor:

http://www.canonwatch.com/first-image-of-the-canon-18-55mm-lens-for-the-new-mirrorless-camera-it-means-its-an-aps-c-sensor-camera/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On june 30 slrgear tested this :
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1523/cat/10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a direct competitor to the Nex:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/23/Canon-announces-EOS-M-mirrorless-system-camera-hands-on-preview

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it has a proper flash hotshoe, that's a good thing. But the screen is fixed, oh dear, big no-no. I wonder how much the converter for EOS lenses is? Sony charge an arm and a leg for their equivalent.

Even without knowing more about it, the fixed screen is a killer for me, and one reason why I don't use my Samsung NX100 that much, fixed screen on one of these little mirrorless cameras reduces their usability a huge amount.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, it's £130.00 for the EF adapter at launch Shocked

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-ef-eos-m-mount-adapter/p1531914

I strongly suspect that:

a) The price for the camera and adapter will drop fairly quickly once they start shipping (usual for Canon)
b) The entry level model will sell well regardless
c) An enthusiast model will appear next year with a viewfinder and tilting screen
d) As per DPReview, no full frame model will be built Sad
e) I'll end up getting one with the 22mm lens (much more practical than Sony's stupid 16/2.Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, this is just such a booooooooooooring camera. No electronic VF, no articulated screen. Very Canon-like: nothing exceptional, nothing better than the competition. It's still the old Canon trying to protect the DSLR line... Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No viewfinder it's not interesting for me.
Will have to wait 2-3 years until a proper body appears.
Also the AF speed looks soooo slooow.. it reminds me Oly E-P1 four years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
No viewfinder it's not interesting for me.
Will have to wait 2-3 years until a proper body appears.
Also the AF speed looks soooo slooow.. it reminds me Oly E-P1 four years ago.

+1, this is to late Canon

I would love to see a mirrorless retro rangefinder style Canon, from the early days Wink

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/chrono_1933-1955.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when price go down I may be interested, small p&s with 22mm:2 and useful backup for canon users
for non canon users, it is indeed not a revolution