Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A good and fast 35mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Strange that "flare effect". I have never seen that any lens would flare more on my NEX-3 or 7 than on any other camera...

Yes, I've yet to see any flare issues on my NEX either.

The old Canon FL 2.5/35 is a stunning lens on the NEX and dirt cheap too, 40-50eu.

The later FD 2/35 is supposed to be even better.

The later SSC 2/35 is supposed even more better than the FD.
They are selling here between 130-240€

Canon FL 2.5/35 is interesting but 2.5 gives a little big DOF for my taste/ is not fast enough... I was mainly looking for the typical 50/2 fullformat substitute and so it's not a real alternative
40-50 for the 2.5/35? Sounds like a bargain price to me. I've seen them for much more (up to 200€ "buy it now")! Is that a regular price or the price you paid for it?

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Strange that "flare effect". I have never seen that any lens would flare more on my NEX-3 or 7 than on any other camera...

Yes, I've yet to see any flare issues on my NEX either.

The old Canon FL 2.5/35 is a stunning lens on the NEX and dirt cheap too, 40-50eu.

The later FD 2/35 is supposed to be even better.

The later SSC 2/35 is supposed even more better than the FD.
They are selling here between 130-240€

40-50 for the 2.5/35? I've seen them for much more (up to 200€ "buy it now"). Is that a regular price or the price you paid for it?

40-50 is what I've seen them go for quite regularly. I paid 99p for mine 9 months ago, I was very lucky.

There was one on ebay for 25ukp BIN now I was tempted by because mine needs the focus fixing, it's jammed for some reason. It sold yesterday.

This one has been listed two or three time for 79.99ukp with no takers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANON-35MM-F2-5-FL-LENS-VERY-RARE-SERIAL-NO-19713-/110836462216?pt=UK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories&hash=item19ce5e3288#ht_2292wt_1163

And there's this one in France cheaper:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-FL-35-mm-f2-5-AE1-A1-FTb-F1-New-F1-Exc-/300673527203?pt=FR_IQ_PhotoVideo_Photo_Objectifs_Zooms&hash=item460189eda3#ht_500wt_1413

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

It's not a "NEX-Problem", it's a general problem of reflecting surfaces of sensors and films.

Yeah, I know. And still it is appears to be hyped a little.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was a sunny day here and I had time to try the Contax G Planar T* 2/35 in strong sunlight outside for a few shots. Results were simply impressive and and does not tend flare annoying at all under usual conditions, as long as the sun isn't in the frame (but most lenses handle the sun in the frame even much more worse).
It's only an issue with the night-streetphotography.

I will definately keep the lens, maybe even I there's a better one below 500€

The lens is fully usable wide open and has a really nice bokeh Smile

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

I will definately keep the lens as long as I can't find a better subsitute with at least the same speed.

In this case I bet you will keep it for good. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a part of the series I made today with the Planar T* 35/2 (without hood) in sunlight
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1215171.html#1215171

An here's pic with the sun in frame. Somehow the sun is handled much better than the street lighting

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 cents:

CV 35/1.4
For some reason this lens can be controversial, but I have found it excellent. Quite a bit of distortion for a 35, but you rarely notice it. A good copy is plenty crisp, outperforming the very good skopar at least to f/5.6

Price around 500USD

Also very easy to sell, so cost free to try Smile

I do like the 35/1.2 but this lens is a wonderful "take it with you" package.

BTW actual used prices of the 35/1.2 v1 hover around 850USD. There seems to be more copy variation between lenses of the same version than there are differences between the performance of v1 or v2

by coincidence the 35/1.4 is on the 5n right now. I will try for some decent samples Smile

Last edited by uhoh7 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For NEX users i would ditch the vented hood. These things barely need a hood. Get a short straight 43mm threaded metal hood from heavy star.
Makes a much nicer package out of the Nokton f1.4/35/40mm on a NEX.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
For NEX users i would ditch the vented hood. These things barely need a hood. Get a short straight 43mm threaded metal hood from heavy star.

+1
The overpriced and for APS-C oversized hoods are only very good as protectors when used on NEX

Orio wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:

Well... the Contax G Planar 35/2 has also a superb T* coating and flares a lot anyway when used on the NEX-sensor.

When the sensor causes internal reflections, changing the Planar 2/35 is not going to help much, because the Planar 2/35 is not the source of the problem.

Distance from sensor and the size of the rear element and internal design of the lens are the reasons for the reflections which causes the weird flare under the extreme conditions between sensor and lens. I have some lenses which handle these extreme situations a lot better but not in this focal length, size or overall league. For example the Biogon 28/2.8 handles the same situations much better, but it's a little to slow to be used handheld. I'm sure that there a better lenses out there for this special purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

agreed Smile

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7039/6977535707_7310078b44_o.jpg
thats a full size close range sample around f/2

a bit further out

full
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7064/6831416460_cf85c810a5_o.jpg

here you can get the general idea of rendering indoors:

above f/2 and below at f/8:

Basically an excellent 35, tiny, with a very high speed. Rightly a very popular lens in the RF community. cv35/1.4

These all shot on 5n today. It's the best take anywhere 35 on the nex, outside the slightly pricey 35 Lux Wink Hopefully its obvious a good copy is quite sharp, at least out to 10 meters. I will shoot some longer stuff and see how it does.

As a pure landscape lens there are many which are better, but you have to sift through how they perform on the nex, and be pretty choosy to beat this outside the deep corners.

I do find the 35s quite cramped in FOV on the nex, I'd prefer a 28 mounted and a 50 in the pocket Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your experience with that lens! Seems to be very good one with a comparable fair price.

According to this: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=38105553 the Planar T* 35/2 is visibly better than the Nokton 35/1.4. Anyway the Nokton seems to be one of the choices as NEX standard lens.

Is anyone here using or has used the Voigtländer Ultron 35/1.7? It has a better (but also mixed) reputation than the Nokton 35/1.4 and plays in about the same price class (290-350€). I guess it won't reach the Leica Biogon T* 35/2 but it's better than the Planar T* 35/2??

Last edited by ForenSeil on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

According to this: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=38105553 the Planar T* 35/2 is visibly better than the Nokton 35/1.4. Anyway the Nokton seems to be one of the choices as NEX standard lens.

you did saw some examples from the Nokton here... do they look like this for you?

Quote:
The Nokton isn't a lens that one would buy for any technical reasons. It has barrel distortion, field curvature, very high purple fringing potential, and isn't particularly sharp (although not bad.)

I don't know what lens this guy was using and can only speak about the Nokton 1.4/40, but I can't see any serious purple fringing potential and think it's sharp like a rasorblade.. at least when stopped down to F2. Maybe that guy is refering to the single coated version..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:

you did saw some examples from the Nokton here... do they look like this for you?

Quote:
The Nokton isn't a lens that one would buy for any technical reasons. It has barrel distortion, field curvature, very high purple fringing potential, and isn't particularly sharp (although not bad.)

I don't know what lens this guy was using and can only speak about the Nokton 1.4/40, but I can't see any serious purple fringing potential and think it's sharp like a rasorblade.. at least when stopped down to F2. Maybe that guy is refering to the single coated version..

As said the examples here are looking "very good". And as said it's one of the "best choices".
No in these pics I can't see any annoying distortion and nearly no CAs/fringing. And they are looking very sharp.... but I guess some sharpening and other PP was applied.
It's very hard to to determine the better without a direct comparision in this league. But when someone says "I have both and this one is slightly better" I believe him, even (or especially) if he's a pixelpeeper.

The Nokton 40/1.4 has a overall better reputation in sharpness, distortion and CA control than the 35/1.4 on what I've seen bye the way Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several in 35mm but never compare them directly. In my eyes they are just a bit differently.

Pentax K 35/2: a bit hash in bokeh. sharp enough. contrastful.
Olympus OM 35/2 mc: beautiful bokeh in close range, sharp.
Nikkor 35/1.4: ok sharpness at 1.4, buttery bokeh. step down very good, short focus throw.
Pentax FA35/2: AF lens, but can MF. sharpest 35mm I have at f2.
Canon FD 35/2: currently playing with it.

All 35mm in f2.8 and slower are not count.

It's hard to pick just one, they all have their weaknesses. I impression/ranking for the moment is
1. nikkor 35/1.4 : bokeh, but hard to use, best with tilt adapter on nex
2. olympus 35/2: bokeh too.
3. pentax fa 35/2: sharpness.

that doesn't mean the pentax K 35/2 or the canon fd 35/2 are any worse, they are just differently.

sample images:

Pentax K 35/2 at f3.2:

Olympus OM 35/2 at f2:

at f8:

Pentax FA 35/2 at f2.2:

and at f2.8:

Nikkor 35/1.4 ai-s at f1.4 with tilt:

I don't have photos without tilt using the nikkor. Canon FD photos are not uploaded from the camera.

How can I change the size when someone click on the photos? ok I just edited to size=1024.

Last edited by hoanpham on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:09 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Here's a part of the series I made today with the Planar T* 35/2 (without hood) in sunlight
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1215171.html#1215171]

The bokeh of Zeiss 35/2 in the pics above looks terrible at f2...The Nikon 35mm f1.4 Ai-S bokeh looks far better at f2:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
F16SUNSHINE wrote:

agreed Smile

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7039/6977535707_7310078b44_o.jpg
thats a full size close range sample around f/2

a bit further out

full
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7064/6831416460_cf85c810a5_o.jpg

here you can get the general idea of rendering indoors:

above f/2 and below at f/8:

Basically an excellent 35, tiny, with a very high speed. Rightly a very popular lens in the RF community. cv35/1.4

Looks good!...Shame it cant be used on a DSLR Sad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa... excellent samples with that Nokton Classic, Uhoh7!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1215171.html#1215171]

The bokeh of Zeiss 35/2 in the pics above looks terrible at f2...The Nikon 35mm f1.4 Ai-S bokeh looks far better at f2:

Terrible? I know what you mean but it's always a matter of taste and the subject, I definately prefer more interesting/exciting bokeh for most pcis. I even choosed to focus very close wide open and looked for many highlights in pic because I like to see a lot from the bokeh. Under a direct comparsion under hard conditions the Nikkor might be not "better" (cleaner) @F2

@2.8 it gets very clean and "natural" (some would say boring;)) bye the way Very Happy

Even the very expensive Leica Summicrons ASPH 35/2 have a similar but even more agressive bokeh wide open (I guess through similar design?)
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/9203135-lg.jpg
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/8217400-lg.jpg
(But I like it Smile)

Last edited by ForenSeil on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:54 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

But when someone says "I have both and this one is slightly better" I believe him, even (or especially) if he's a pixelpeeper.

yes but that could be also a problem, you don't know if it's one of those guys who just needs a excuse for the price difference between Leica, Voigtländer and Zeiss. Again.. he was talking about "distortion, field curvature, very high purple fringing potential, and that it isn't particularly sharp" Wink

I can't compare with a 35mm Leica or Zeiss.. not even have the 35mm Nokton, what I can tell you about the 40mm Nokton is that I like it much more then 2/35mm or 1.8/40mm Hexanon. My only 35mm lens which comes close to the performance of the Nokton (on NEX-5n) is a Minolta AF 1.4/35 G and that's one of my favorite AF lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:

But when someone says "I have both and this one is slightly better" I believe him, even (or especially) if he's a pixelpeeper.

yes but that could be also a problem, you don't know if it's one of those guys who just needs a excuse for the price difference between Leica/Voigtländer and Zeiss. Again.. he was talking about "distortion, field curvature, very high purple fringing potential, and that it isn't particularly sharp" Wink

I can't compare with a 35mm Leica or Zeiss.. not even have the 35mm Nokton, what I can tell you about the 40mm Nokton is that I like it much more then 2/35mm or 1.8/40mm Hexanon. My only 35mm lens which comes close to the performance of the Nokton (on NEX-5n) is a Minolta AF 1.4/35 G which is one of my favorite AF lenses.

Agreed Smile we need a further comparision.
At least in these examples @f/2 I can't see any of these bad attibutes. I guess they are only visible wide open without a 100% crop.
The Contax G Planar T* 35/2 has about the same or a sligthly lower price as the Nokon 35/1.4 by the way.
(I got mine for about 300€, they usually reach a little above 300€ on Ebay.de, the Nokton reaches about 400€ on Ebay.de)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
May i make a suggestion and its almost what you want at 40mm the konica ar 40mm f1.8 has it all small compact sharp from the wo, nice character, excellent colours etc and price is still very good

I really like my Hexanon 40mm f1.8 alot and it can easily be had for around $40 USD, great character, nice build quality, relatively small size and I think it looks very at home on a mft camera at least it does on my e-pl2

E-pl2 with hexanon 40mm by ramcewan, on Flickr

Here's a shot which is a little out of focus but shows the lovely character

Maya_20120310_40mm_f1.8 by ramcewan, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm partial to the Contax 35 1.4

I don't know how affordable it may be to you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Canon 35/2 LTM Reply with quote

If you don't need really fast consider a Canon 35/2. They come up on eBay now and then. Tiny lens.

Here's a shot, mounted on an RD-1:

and another

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon 35/2 LTM Reply with quote

markloch wrote:
If you don't need really fast consider a Canon 35/2. They come up on eBay now and then. Tiny lens.

Here's a shot, mounted on an RD-1:

and another

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plasticmotif wrote:
I'm partial to the Contax 35 1.4

I don't know how affordable it may be to you.

Oh yesss the Distagons are extraordinary good. But they are also very expensive (1200€ and a lot more for the newer ZE version).