Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A good and fast 35mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: A good and fast 35mm? Reply with quote

Hello.
I saw some pictures made with the Voigtländer Nokton 35mm F1.2 on the NEX and felt in love with this *perfect* lens.
But it's price is pretty enormous for me Very Happy (~1350€!).
Are there any comparable substitutes out there for ~500€ or bellow?

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2/35 Planar for contax G?
Not that fast but very good and falls in your price range.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little update!
Thx @std!
I bought the Contax G Planar T* 35/2 and I'm using it since two days.
It's a very good lens - no doubt.
Not as good as the perfect brothers Contax G Biogon T* 28/2.8 or the Planar T* 45/2 but anyway a more than decent killer and gives a nice focal length and nice DOF (for that focal length) on NEX (~50mm ~f/2.8 equivalent to fullformat). Bokeh and sharpness are good. And it's very compact on NEX (much smaller than the 18-55 Kit)!
Only drawback is that the NEX (even the 5N) sensor has problems to handle it. About 0.75ev vignetting in far corners wide open (which are usually not field relevant) and the much bigger problem - strong reflections between the sensor and the rear element of the lens... which causes sometimes very annoying flares when lightsources are in the pic.

Here are some examples of the last two days:

Bokeh/Sharpness:

Lowlight good conditions:

Lowlight with strong lightsource in the frame:

All are handheld except the first between 1/15s and 1/30s, all are wide open (f/2) and all are straight JPEGs OOC without any PP.

In most of my pic I will nearly have light bulps, cars etc. in the picture which produce very annoying flaring and sometime even ghosting. So I'm still looking for another one.

Any suggestions?
Is there any other fast ~35mm lens in this price range that might work better in flaring?
I was also thinking of the Voigtländer 35/1.4 (Leica M) - but how good is that lens @ F2 compared to the Contax 35/2 wide open in flaring and sharpness? I guess it has lower sharpness and better flaring control.
How aboug Zeiss Biogon T* 35mm f/2 ZM (Leica M) - is it possible to get one below 500-600€?
Are there any more fast and good 35mm lenses? Also SLR lenses would be ok if they are not gigantic.

Regards Smile

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:25 am; edited 12 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25mm f1.4 Carl Zeiss Jena Tevidon quiet unbeatable on m4/3 require machine work , have to cut from adapter and lens back both.
There is an 35mm f1.9 lens too , both are c-mount.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
25mm f1.4 Carl Zeiss Jena Tevidon quiet unbeatable on m4/3 require machine work , have to cut from adapter and lens back both.

Very very interesting!
I knew that there's a good Tevidon 25/1.4 but I've never head of an 35/1.9 before. I guess they were made for of cine format and should cover APS-C sensor, correct?

Thank you for the tip! I will have a look for them. But how's their flare control?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Attila wrote:

Very very interesting!
I knew that there's a good Tevidon 25/1.4 but I've never head of an 35/1.9 before. I guess they were made for of cine format and should cover APS-C sensor, correct?

Thank you for the tip! I will have a look for them. But how's their flare control?

25mm f1.4 cover m4/3 for sure, I think not cover APS-C , may 35mm not cover it also.
Flair control I think perfect due superb coating all Tevidons make perfect contrasty images like latest top lenses from Zeiss.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good, fast AND affordable 35mm for the NEX is what I am also looking for. Not easy to find!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nokton 35mm f1.2 is a wicked lens but for the tiny NEX cameras it is huge and very heavy. It's almost as big as a Planar85. Surprised
Go for the Nokton 35mm f1.4. It's sharp, fast, and tiny. The NEX will only be using it's sweet spot so performance should be tiptop.
The lens has a bit of Barrel distortion so it's not perfect for architecture as the Zeiss Biogons would be.
Barrel is easy to tune up in PP and rarely even makes a bit of difference for general Photography.
Try one out they are super.

In my world I would choose the 40mm f1.4 over the 35mm. I shoot lot's of people and Portraits. The FOV of a 40mm lens on a 1.5 Crop sensor is perfect.
The Nokton 40mm is just as small fast and sharp as the 35mm. The only thing it's lacking is the distortion Smile
The lens is not completely distortion free but you would rarely see the small barreling that it has. Can be found for even less money than the 35.
I bought a mint used one for a friend last year for $285. $300 is not uncommon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firs pic is really good, but I'm surprised that it shows such flare and ghosting in night pictures.
Usually there is a small amount of flare with this lens is used in bright sun and I'm using it almost all the time with the Contax GG-1 lens hood. Have you checked how does the flare compares to the 45mm for example?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone thought about the Olympus 38mm 1.8? (Non-M4/3)
Is it sharp and compact wide open on NEX?

std wrote:
The firs pic is really good, but I'm surprised that it shows such flare and ghosting in night pictures.
Usually there is a small amount of flare with this lens is used in bright sun and I'm using it almost all the time with the Contax GG-1 lens hood. Have you checked how does the flare compares to the 45mm for example?

I don't have the 45mm for a direct comparision... I only know it from a friend who owns it and it's on my wishlist... but I have the Biogon 28/2.8 which is much more flare resistant on NEX and I'm also pretty sure that the Planar 45/2 is also more flare resistant.

@F16SUNSHINE
How good is the flare control of the 1.4 Vogtländer/Cosina Noktons for Leica M?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Contax G Planar 2/35 may take a little to get used to if you are accustomed to the more contrasted 2.8/28 and 2.8/21,
but the results can be great.
Several of my best photos with the Contax G have been taken with the Planar 2/35.

Last edited by Orio on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:
Attila wrote:

Very very interesting!

25mm f1.4 cover m4/3 for sure, I think not cover APS-C , may 35mm not cover it also.
Flair control I think perfect due superb coating all Tevidons make perfect contrasty images like latest top lenses from Zeiss.

My Tevidons 35/1.9 cover the NEX sensor and if you get the right C mount - NEX adapter require no machine work. Other possibly interesting 35mms are the Zuiko f/2.0, Minolta MC or MD f/1.8 and Canon FD f/2.0.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The Contax G Biogon 2/35 may take a little to get used to if you are accustomed to the more contrasted 2.8/28 and 2.8/21,
but the results can be great.
Several of my best photos with the Contax G have been taken with the Biogon 2/35.

There is no Biogon 2/35mm for Contax G as far as I know, only a Planar 2/35mm. The Biogon 35/2 is only avaible for Leica M and reaches about the 1 1/2 of price than the Planar 2/35. But I guess that was only a typo Wink

No doubt that the Planar 2/35 is a very very good lens but on NEX in flares a lot when when lightsources are in the image. It's no problem for most normal shooting but a bigger problem for one of the main reasons I bought the lens - available/low light street photography.
So I'm still looking for a fast 35mm that could handle that.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

There is no Biogon 2/35mm for Contax G as far as I know, only a Planar 2/35mm.

yes, my typo. I will correct it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Well... the Contax G Planar 35/2 has also a superb T* coating and flares a lot anyway when used on the NEX-sensor. The lens design is more important than the coatings in most cases. I can't find any pics with with the Tevidons on NEX. And currently I could only fine a 35mm 1.9 with a strange bajonett mount (Arriflex?). But the 25mm Tevidon already vignetts visibly on MFT... so I think they are only made for 16mm and using them/the 35mm version on NEX would be unfotunaly an expensive experiment.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:34 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on how much the Nokton will Flare on the NEX sensor. On the M8 and RD1 it was very nicely controlled.
On film it was great. I'm sorry I don't have samples to show on my HD. let me go look at my Flicker and see if I have a torture test there.
I loved the 40mm on the RD1. Was one of my most productive lenses. Be right back with some samples (Flare test or no).

No Flare test sorry.

Here are a few images from RD1 and M8

M8

Rd1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it really shines on the M8. What clarity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

Well... the Contax G Planar 35/2 has also a superb T* coating and flares a lot anyway when used on the NEX-sensor.

When the sensor causes internal reflections, changing the Planar 2/35 is not going to help much, because the Planar 2/35 is not the source of the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is stunning.

Quote:

Bokeh/Sharpness:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May i make a suggestion and its almost what you want at 40mm the konica ar 40mm f1.8 has it all small compact sharp from the wo, nice character, excellent colours etc and price is still very good

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have tried both G Biogon 2.8/28 and G Planar 2/35 and the planar seems worse in flare when in the frame there is a strong direct spotlight pointed at the camera.
So i guess that the coating is not the problem and this is more affected by the lens design - the big rear element of the planar has to to with it.

Anyways this happens very rare. I have good night time pictures with this lens and i'm happy with it and not considering replacing it any time soon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Here's a little update!
So I'm still looking for another one.

Any suggestions?
Is there any other fast ~35mm lens in this price range that might work better in flaring?
I was also thinking of the Voigtländer 35/1.4 (Leica M) - but how good is that lens @ F2 compared to the Contax 35/2 wide open in flaring and sharpness? I guess it has lower sharpness and better flaring control.
How aboug Zeiss Biogon T* 35mm f/2 ZM (Leica M) - is it possible to get one below 500-600€?
Are there any more fast and good 35mm lenses? Also SLR lenses would be ok if they are not gigantic.

Regards Smile

my fast and good 35mm lenses.. ok I'm cheating, two of them are 40mm (which I like even more) Wink

Konica Hexanon 2.0/35
Konica Hexanon 1.8/40
Voigtländer Nokton 1.4/40

@ F2 they all three are sharp on the NEX-5n, I also can't see big problems with flaring. The Nokton is tiny (Leica M adapter too) and Konica has the smallest adapter for SLR. Hexanon 2/35 isn't really small so maybe not your first choice, but the 40 is a pancake and even with a SLR adapter small enough.

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

In my world I would choose the 40mm f1.4 over the 35mm. I shoot lot's of people and Portraits. The FOV of a 40mm lens on a 1.5 Crop sensor is perfect.

I can't comment on how much the Nokton will Flare on the NEX sensor. On the M8 and RD1 it was very nicely controlled.

+1

on NEX-5 and 5n it's also very nicely controlled. It's awonderful and tiny gem.. I love this lens a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange that "flare effect". I have never seen that any lens would flare more on my NEX-3 or 7 than on any other camera...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
May i make a suggestion and its almost what you want at 40mm the konica ar 40mm f1.8 has it all small compact sharp from the wo, nice character, excellent colours etc and price is still very good

The 40mm Konica (I had one for a few months) is not bad but plays in another league than the Planar/Biogon 35/2 or the Noktons 35/40 which are real high end lenses.

LucisPictor wrote:
Strange that "flare effect". I have never seen that any lens would flare more on my NEX-3 or 7 than on any other camera...

It's not a "NEX-Problem", it's a general problem of reflecting surfaces of sensors and films.
The Planar 35/2 has a very large rear element which is close to the sensor. The flaring happens only with very strong lightsource in the frame on an dark picture. And the issue is even smaller when used on film imho. It's only an issue with street photography in the night.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:35 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Yes, I've yet to see any flare issues on my NEX either.

The old Canon FL 2.5/35 is a stunning lens on the NEX and dirt cheap too, 40-50eu.

The later FD 2/35 is supposed to be even better.