Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A good and fast 35mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon 35/2 LTM Reply with quote

markloch wrote:
If you don't need really fast consider a Canon 35/2. They come up on eBay now and then. Tiny lens.

Here's a shot, mounted on an RD-1:

From which version are these shots?

I also had the Sony AF 35/1.8 bye the way and I wasn't very happy with it.
Contrast wide open is low and vignetting wide open is also strong. Wide open it's not soft but could be better. For my taste not fully usable wide open and so not a "fast lens". Stopped down a tack it's great and it's cheap for an modern AF lens.

The same for the Konica 40/1.8 - my copy became sharp @2.8 and above. Wide open it was soft, had CAs and contrast could be also better. Maybe I had a bad copy but I was a little disappointed. But price/value ratio is the best here. But it's not a 35mm.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don't mind me butting into the conversation here.

I am thinking of selling several of my lenses to get a very good all round lens of modern manufacture instead. One that I can walk into a camera store and get serviced without them looking queerly at me and asking "You know spare parts for this hasn't been manufactured in 30 years, do you?".

I use a NEX-5N and enjoy using the manual lenses I have acquired, but I have that nagging feeling of not having "the one" lens I need (or - truthfully - want!).

I want a compact fast lens around 35mm for my NEX-5N, to be to my NEX-5N what my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 has been for my Canon DSLR's during the last six years or so. Whatever other lens I bought for my 7D, I found that I preferred the 30mm. I bought and sold several lenses but in the end I used the 30mm for probably more than 95% of my photos. For me it was a lens that always delivered. I knew how it worked and how to work it.

I miss that with my NEX. I don't have that "go-to" lens. So, having sold another one of my Canon EF lenses, I am thinking of putting down a chunk of cash in the direction of a lens that could be that lens for me.

I don't treat my equipment very well. I always had my 7D with the 30mm mounted in my messenger bag I grab when I go on my daily commute to work, and since I got my NEX it has been living in the pocket of my jacket. We'll see how long it lasts, but I love always having it, knowing it's there if I come across something I want to snap a picture of.

Having said that the Sigma 30mm is my all time favorite lens, I want something along those lines for my NEX. The obvious choice is the Cosina Voigtländer 35mm f/1.4, but some users report of really poor build quality with CV lenses - that the front part of their lenses will start to rattle after intense use (and in my case that would rather be "abuse"). That really doesn't sound very good to me. But other than that, I am very much intrigued by this lens, which isn't ridiculously expensive either.

The second lens I am thinking of right now is the Zeiss 35mm f/2.0 ZM. Performance wise it seems like a clear cut winner, but then again it's twice the price of the CV 35mm f/1.4 so it damn well should be. Also, I don't think I would excel at focusing manually at f/1.4, so that last stop is not terribly important to me.

Any thoughts on my reasoning? Any tips? I will most likely not be able to try either of these lenses before I buy it.