Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Nikon Voigtländer... which pass the D800 36mpix test?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason to be sorry Orio as I am not offended - I may sound harsh likely as I am not writing in my native language so I can't express myself in se same nuances that my mother tongue allows.

You are most welcome to debate and share your own view and experiences on these lenses, this is what this forum is all about. It's just that I am not interested in involving myself in lengthy discussions or posting librariers of test images and side-by-side crops - that is very time-consuming and time is a luxury I don't have. I have already dedicated this too much time and effort, that is away from more important tasks (running business, raising our baby and supporting the family).

This book was only just released, and had it appeared earlier it would have saved me considerable time and several days of time-consuming lens sample variation and side-by-side tripod test chart hours...

I don't have access to all the lenses tested in this publication, so more thorough results can be accessed by purchasing this: here is I think DxO chief tester's 74 scientific tests of lenses on the D800. The PDF book is in French and costs EUR 16.99, the diagrams and lens test results are very easily interpreted even though you don't speak French.

http://izibook.eyrolles.com/produit/2316/9782212167726/Le%20Nikon%20D800D800E

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add, I was questioning because I am interested in gaining a greater understanding of how different sensors perform and why. I'm not sure I understand the relationship between sensor resolution and lens resolution. Of course, resolution isn't the only issue and I find the info about vignetting and other aspects very useful, cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've re-animated this thread as I wanted to see if there was any changes or additions to Vilhelm's list by the author or participants with six months of shooting on the D800. What's been the experience out there?

Personally, I decided to hold on to a D700 with a Katz Eye focus screen for my MF lenses. In low-light, I realized that MF on the stock screen in the 600 & 800 is frustrating and yields a significantly lower usability ratio to the images shot. I'm not a pro so I can live with the image compromises.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really thank Vilhelm for the list - excellent work and very helpful.

What I do disagree with is the most contentious lens rating on that list, that of the Zeiss Distagon T* 21/2.8 ZF.2. The vignetting is never an issue and easily corrected on import into LR5 or A3 by setting up a lens profile. It is an absolutely awesome lens (first on a D800 and now D800E), stunning sharpness and clarity with low distortion that is almost imperceptible in the vast majority of scenes I shoot (the 14-24 will edge it out on straight lines) which is borne out by the DxO stats below. Vilhelm also gave the Zeiss Distagon T* 35/2 ZF.2 5 stars - I can agree with the rating as these are my 2 ZE lenses (after owning 5 Contax's from 28 thru 85) and it's a stunner, but again it would be absolutely impossible for me to rate it 2 stars above the 21mm, or even 1 star above, they are on equal footing but for different subjects of course, IMHO.

There are a number of threads in the Nikon gear forum on FM discussing the 21mm vs the 14-24 and there is absolutely no consensus of opinion there, it is that close (personally I see a little more sharpness in the corners of the 14-24 but at roughly x1.5 the price - of course you gain AF, multiple FLs and WR - that and needing to pay another $500 for a filter system that actually fits the 14-24 (which doesn't accept filters) means I did not need to consider the Nikon. All that said the 14-24 has a world class reputation for a reason ....... as does the Zeiss 21mm.

DxO Testing
14-24 : Distortion 0.4%, Vignetting -1.6 EV, CA 10 um (note measurements are at it's best performing FL, 18mm).
21mm : Distortion 0.6%, Vignetting -1.9EV , CA 5 um

Here's a fine test (spoiler : 21mm better wide open, f4 f8 f11 nothing in it, whilst at f5.6 the Nikon is better.
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/carl-zeiss-21mm-f-2-8-and-nikon-14-24-f-2-8-lenses-are-put-to-the-test--review-11118

Thanks again to Vilhelm for the interesting list ... I'm researching the unknown to me lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to agree or disagree, Cool we are all entitled to our opinions

Removing two f-stops of vignetting results in less detail and contrast plus it adds luminance noise (and often color shift) in the areas where the vignetting control was applied. Whereas many photogs can afford spending lots of time on postprocessing individual images to perfection, I don't - I prefer lenses which improve my profit margin by cutting my hours in postprocessing to a minimum. For a landscape photographer who includes skies in compositions, the vignetting likely only improves the image. Shoot architecture, large spaces and interiors for a client who wants the "corporate look", and it turns into a nuisance.

Nikkor 14-24/2.8G btw does not have VR (vibration reduction) and that's good, it doesn't need it. Filter holders are available for much less than the $500 you mention (Amazon sells one kit for $190), but as always with large size filters "the better, the more they cost". Price is high yes but in this case you get more than what you pay for: it's so good that it replaces four prime focal lengths, and for pros who buy rationally the total cost of your bag is what counts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Feel free to agree or disagree, Cool we are all entitled to our opinions

Removing two f-stops of vignetting results in less detail and contrast plus it adds luminance noise (and often color shift) in the areas where the vignetting control was applied. Whereas many photogs can afford spending lots of time on postprocessing individual images to perfection, I don't - I prefer lenses which improve my profit margin by cutting my hours in postprocessing to a minimum. For a landscape photographer who includes skies in compositions, the vignetting likely only improves the image. Shoot architecture, large spaces and interiors for a client who wants the "corporate look", and it turns into a nuisance.

Nikkor 14-24/2.8G btw does not have VR (vibration reduction) and that's good, it doesn't need it. Filter holders are available for much less than the $500 you mention (Amazon sells one kit for $190), but as always with large size filters "the better, the more they cost". Price is high yes but in this case you get more than what you pay for: it's so good that it replaces four prime focal lengths, and for pros who buy rationally the total cost of your bag is what counts.

Which UWA does not have vignetting to some degree ? It's an inherent trait of UWA lenses wide open - though the vast majority of people use them stopped down anyway. You mention the 14--24 but as DxO shows the distortion is virtually identical. If you are shooting buildings you really need a T/S.

I did not say the 14-24 had VR I said it is WR (weather resistant). If you want to talk about putting it in your bag the 21mm fits in my pocket ..... I need a suitcase for the 14-24 (hyperbole intended) Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made your point clear and I mine, chill out. If you want to start a yes/no internet debate then email Ken Rockwell, I couldn't care less whether you agree with me or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogfish wrote:
Here's a fine test (spoiler : 21mm better wide open, f4 f8 f11 nothing in it, whilst at f5.6 the Nikon is better.
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/carl-zeiss-21mm-f-2-8-and-nikon-14-24-f-2-8-lenses-are-put-to-the-test--review-11118

This is a test of the Contax 21 mm not the ZF.2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to members:
In this forum there are people with different levels of experience and skills. Please remember that experienced members are not obliged to always be responsive
after they publish information in here. At the same time, less experienced members do not deserve to be patronized or looked down.
Mutual respect here is a requirement, not an option.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogfish wrote:
If you want to talk about putting it in your bag the 21mm fits in my pocket ..... I need a suitcase for the 14-24 (hyperbole intended) Wink

The 12-24 can be used at more than one FL - a point made by David Clapp in the test you quoted. So if you want to shoot at several FLs you are going to need several pockets.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Frogfish wrote:

This is a test of the Contax 21 mm not the ZF.2.

Oops sorry then my error (of course I should have recognised that) ! Though I believe optically there is very little, if any, difference and the changes were mainly to the coating and cosmetics. I do need to go and check that statement though as I have never owned the Contax version.

EDIT. They are indeed different designs. The Contax being 15/13 and the ZF/ZE 2 being 16/13

Here are the schematics : http://boncratious.com/images/Zeiss-21mm-Distagons.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Frogfish wrote:
If you want to talk about putting it in your bag the 21mm fits in my pocket ..... I need a suitcase for the 14-24 (hyperbole intended) Wink

The 12-24 can be used at more than one FL - a point made by David Clapp in the test you quoted. So if you want to shoot at several FLs you are going to need several pockets.

True. But then again, as the members of this forum understand better than most, you usually know what your subject is and what lens you intend to use. Having 14-24 doesn't necessary help because of course the wider you go the more distant your subject appears in the frame, and it's certainly not a walkaround lens (personally if I don't know my subject for the day then 85/35/21 covers most possibilities) !

Just noticed I'd better update my signature - done !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sensor size are most of you using? If your DSLR sensor is 36 mpix then you should read this from the beginning, including the first page of replies to doubts posted against these findings. If you are using DSLRs with smaller sensors, then you can safely neglect everything written in this post.

The difference between 16mpix and 36mpix is similar to the difference in detail that your bare human eye can distinguish (close focusing distance 0.30m) vs. what a magnifying glass will reveal to you. Believe me, one day when you'll plug that lens onto a really big sensor you will notice that lens designers very often make shortcuts, with design performance goals meeting sensor standards that later will be broken.

The fact that a lens no longer looks stellar when you mate it with a very large FF sensor does not make it less capable for most use. If you never print large or never deliver commercial work where every pixel you sell will be scrutinized by an Art Director who has a fetish for large image files, then you never need to worry about issues I raised in my original post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about who the client is. I've had 20x30 inch prints made from 14mp NEX-3 files that looked great and I've sold a few of them.

But, I doubt that same 20x30 print would get you in the door at he clients Esox has.

Depends on who's eyes are viewing it how good it looks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:

The fact that a lens no longer looks stellar when you mate it with a very large FF sensor does not make it less capable for most use. If you never print large or never deliver commercial work where every pixel you sell will be scrutinized by an Art Director who has a fetish for large image files, then you never need to worry about issues I raised in my original post.

That's a relief.
I dodged the bullet by not having a single one of the lenses in the listing, thank gawd for that. Smile
However, it's something to shoot for, because the price of 36Mp bodies will come down eventually (and the day Pentax release a FF body of that sensor size, pigs will fly past my window, but I can only hope).
A very useful list, so thanks for that.