Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Nikon Voigtländer... which pass the D800 36mpix test?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Frogfish wrote:
Here's a fine test (spoiler : 21mm better wide open, f4 f8 f11 nothing in it, whilst at f5.6 the Nikon is better.
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/carl-zeiss-21mm-f-2-8-and-nikon-14-24-f-2-8-lenses-are-put-to-the-test--review-11118

This is a test of the Contax 21 mm not the ZF.2.

Oops sorry then my error (of course I should have recognised that) ! Though I believe optically there is very little, if any, difference and the changes were mainly to the coating and cosmetics. I do need to go and check that statement though as I have never owned the Contax version.

EDIT. They are indeed different designs. The Contax being 15/13 and the ZF/ZE 2 being 16/13

Here are the schematics : http://boncratious.com/images/Zeiss-21mm-Distagons.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Frogfish wrote:
If you want to talk about putting it in your bag the 21mm fits in my pocket ..... I need a suitcase for the 14-24 (hyperbole intended) Wink

The 12-24 can be used at more than one FL - a point made by David Clapp in the test you quoted. So if you want to shoot at several FLs you are going to need several pockets.

True. But then again, as the members of this forum understand better than most, you usually know what your subject is and what lens you intend to use. Having 14-24 doesn't necessary help because of course the wider you go the more distant your subject appears in the frame, and it's certainly not a walkaround lens (personally if I don't know my subject for the day then 85/35/21 covers most possibilities) !

Just noticed I'd better update my signature - done !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sensor size are most of you using? If your DSLR sensor is 36 mpix then you should read this from the beginning, including the first page of replies to doubts posted against these findings. If you are using DSLRs with smaller sensors, then you can safely neglect everything written in this post.

The difference between 16mpix and 36mpix is similar to the difference in detail that your bare human eye can distinguish (close focusing distance 0.30m) vs. what a magnifying glass will reveal to you. Believe me, one day when you'll plug that lens onto a really big sensor you will notice that lens designers very often make shortcuts, with design performance goals meeting sensor standards that later will be broken.

The fact that a lens no longer looks stellar when you mate it with a very large FF sensor does not make it less capable for most use. If you never print large or never deliver commercial work where every pixel you sell will be scrutinized by an Art Director who has a fetish for large image files, then you never need to worry about issues I raised in my original post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about who the client is. I've had 20x30 inch prints made from 14mp NEX-3 files that looked great and I've sold a few of them.

But, I doubt that same 20x30 print would get you in the door at he clients Esox has.

Depends on who's eyes are viewing it how good it looks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:

The fact that a lens no longer looks stellar when you mate it with a very large FF sensor does not make it less capable for most use. If you never print large or never deliver commercial work where every pixel you sell will be scrutinized by an Art Director who has a fetish for large image files, then you never need to worry about issues I raised in my original post.

That's a relief.
I dodged the bullet by not having a single one of the lenses in the listing, thank gawd for that. Smile
However, it's something to shoot for, because the price of 36Mp bodies will come down eventually (and the day Pentax release a FF body of that sensor size, pigs will fly past my window, but I can only hope).
A very useful list, so thanks for that.