Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What kind of tripod and why ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: What kind of tripod and why ? Reply with quote

Rare discussed topic "tripods" .... I guess a good tripod is very important. I bought some cheap one , those are garbage... Any suggestion ? Any hidden diamonds ? (Quality tripod for low price Smile )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear by my old Slik 88 - looks like an oil rig and weighs about the same.... Laughing

Had it for over twenty years. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Pretty long time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Feisol CT-3441. I can't compare to other brands, as this is my first and so far only decent tripod. I bought it for travelling, and for this purpose, it really shines...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that tripods fall into three categories:

* cheap, light and rubbish
    * expensive, heavy and good
    * mid-priced, heavy and good

The first and second categories are sold by photographic shops. The third category is sold for surveyors, building sites etc. Its a lot less expensive but also likely to be day-glo orange.

Last edited by ChrisLilley on Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Wow! Pretty long time.

Yup - I tend not to change gear that works for me. In the case of the Slik, it's big and heavy and probably unfashionable, but to date, it's never let me down, even in near gale force winds.

That said, I was looking at some of the Manfrotto tripods as they have a removable centre column for copy work etc. - something that the Slik can't do.

Not cheap though.... Sad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfrotto is really cool but $$$ I started this topic about this reason.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pair of Daiwa Pro tripods last year off ebay. One is a video 'pod and not quite the thing (and will be handy enough, I suppose) but both are very well built and sturdy enough for my useage. They must've been stored in an outhouse, but 5 minutes work with Cillit Bang and the dirt was gone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you come here for the big camera fair in April 13th you will be able to see and compare many Manfrotto tripods - here obviously the prices are a bit lower than those for export.

Last edited by Orio on Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish ... but I can't afford it right now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some weeks ago i was about buying this one (but did not to save some money Smile )

http://www.digit-photo.com/Trepieds_monopodes-aFA0031/BILORA_Pied_Pro_Combi_II_1122-rBILORAI101122.html#0

i like it because all part are metallic and not "plastic" (I broke my old one, because it was plastic.)

it is heavy enough not to shake

all ajustable parts are smooth and precise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Manfrotto price.... seems no way to buy less quality items.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You get what you pay for."

My old 88 cost me around ?85 GBP when I got it in '85 or '86 or thereabouts.

Here's one on Ebay:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a lens seems, we can buy quality lenses on bargain price , but have to pay right price for other items.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Velbon Victory 450 since the late 80's - have had no complaints. Its one of those that you can't find any more - its no light weight but far from a heavy weight. Stands 30" collapsed 66" fully extended, and a 30" foot print. It has all the adjustments and even the quick release base you can leave on the camera. At the time it cost about $50 Canadian.

As Bob said I'll stay with what works.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Manfrotto.
It cost me about 100 euros.
I never thought it was so expensive.
If I use it 10 years it will cost me 10 euros/year
10 euros; it is 2 days of cigarette smoke.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
I have a Manfrotto.
It cost me about 100 euros.
I never thought it was so expensive.
If I use it 10 years it will cost me 10 euros/year
10 euros; it is 2 days of cigarette smoke.

You're right, Poilu.
I got my Manfrotto 055PROB for 90€, but it was so heavy for my back that I was never taking it out. So I sold it recently to a local colleague. As a replacement, I modified a cheap and light Starblitz TS-125 to replace the head. Now it's an acceptable tripod, light enough to be carried over.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This is Manfrotto price....

Comparable manfrottos are much expensive Shocked

ps : finally i bought a Vivitar for 20e... i'll buy a good one later Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
The third category is sold for surveyors, building sites etc. Its a lot less expensive but also likely to be day-glo orange.

Very Happy Mine is actually dayglo yellow with orange fittings Very Happy

I never thought about it before but it would be rock solid for a camera, the problem is the mounting bolt is about 20mm dia. and my sherpa likes to have his weekends off.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
the mounting bolt is about 20mm dia.

Hmm, you've got me thinking now. Idea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just put a tutorial on how to upgrade the head of a cheap tripod:

http://forum.mflenses.com/upgrading-the-head-of-a-cheap-tripod-t5738.html

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Benbo Trekker II which my brother got me for my birthday a few years ago. Not quite as heavy as the original Benbo which was used for machine guns! All the legs and the central column move independently of one another: every photographer who has borrowed it has hurt themselves with it but I like it Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson wrote:
Attila wrote:
This is Manfrotto price....

Comparable manfrottos are much expensive Shocked

Exactly!

I have one of those Bilora Pro Tripods (which seem to be a kind of Manfrotto copy Wink) - the earlier version.
This tripod is really good, very steady and robust, but it is rather heavy - no fun to carry around. Sad

I would love to have one of these carbon tripods, but they are really expensive!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one intends to use a tripod, it seems a shame to me to compromise a lens' performance by skimping on the support, i.e. the tripod.

We think nothing of buying good lenses so why not buy a decent tripod - choose wisely and you won't need to buy another....

No?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So seems I will keep all my shoots hand held Smile that is the cheapest tripod and easy to carry out Laughing