Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What kind of tripod and why ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next cheapest is a length of cord....

Fix one end of the cord to a tripod screw and tie a loop in the other end big enough for a foot to slip through.

Adjust cord length to suit height, fit tripod screw to camera, slip foot through loop and hold camera up so that the cord is tight.

Instant flexi-pod.

Sorted. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten several tripods/Ball heads from amvona.com who sell online & on eBay...I have the AT-858B tripod legs & I'm more than happy with them. Good quality at a decent price. The center post reverses & it's height adjustable from 24 to 72 inches. It also has foam on 2 of the legs( great in the cold) & supports just over 13 lbs of gear...I paid <$50 for mine on an eBay auction...I have several different heads that I use & all will fit it...BTW, I have a Manfrotto 681B monopod as well for those places where tripods are not allowed...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The talk of alternate supports reminds me that when I learned photography, I scrounged up the parts to make a stock for my camera - it was quite decent. It had a pistol grip connected to a shutter release cable and used a tripod screw to mount the camera.

On the schedule I want to make another one - more up to the skill level I now have Smile

When I make it I'll show a picture of it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a great tripod user - I ought to a bit more but I'm lazy.

I've got a Manfroto 620B monopod with the additional feet that I've used for poor attempts at bird photography. Indoors it's either a no-name table top tripod or a Manfroto Digi 718 (fairly cheap, lightweight and okay for lenses up to about 200mm). If I was more into landscape work I'd be getting something more robust.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the best compromise is the Slik 330 Pro DX.

It weights less than 1,7 kg, ballhead included (due to a special aluminium-magnesium-titanium alloy), but it's rigid as a 3kg traditional one.

The ballhead is an average 3D type. But it can be removed and you can fit whatever you like.

The weight is very important for me, because a tripod on the boot on the car is not very useful. Less than 2kg is ok to carry, more is too much burden. So I prefer this Slik instead of the Manfrotto ones (also because it costs a lot less, in my case 80 euro, ballhead included, in a local shop)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to fix my self Manfrotto price is lot more than I thought Sad I saw some in local shop I want one of them Embarassed price was 200 EUR without head..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I have to fix my self Manfrotto price is lot more than I thought Sad I saw some in local shop I want one of them Embarassed price was 200 EUR without head..

Attila, have a look at this:

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-pro330dx-b.html

It's a very good tripod, and costs about 80 euros, ballhead included.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ! Looks a pro tripod too for lot less.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Tripods Reply with quote

Quoting from my web site:

"The MOST important tool in the photographer's arsenal is a good, sturdy tripod. I certainly am discouraging the small, compact lightweight aluminum models currently flooding the market. They have no place in photography. Even the slightest breeze causes them to shake. I recommend using the heaviest tripod that you can comfortably carry and use. I personally own several different model French Gitzo tripods and favor large ball heads with the Foba and Arca-Swiss models being my favorites. While not cheap, they are solid workhorses that will add to your photographic pleasure and last several lifetimes."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, one question. . .
Are tripods like my Velbon, dinosaurs?

I can carry it in a pack, I can level it to to the surface I'm on and its heavy enough to not blow over in the wind. Confused

I guess this proves to me I've got a keeper, as its lasted me many years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a tripod for about 90% of my images. My main one is the Manfrotto 3003 with a simple 3-way head. It is just solid enough for a Pentax 645, but is seeming a little light for the Rollei.

I am in the process of looking, and this is a great thread for me to read! Capt. Jack: I have been looking at Foba ball heads, and I've already placed it at #1 on my list.