Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is a really robust film SLR or Rangefinder?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: What is a really robust film SLR or Rangefinder? Reply with quote

Currently I have a Nikon F-301, Olympus OM-10 and Canon T-50. All of them sort of electronic and/or fragile.

But I really want a camera that I can toss to a car seat and not worry if it bounces on the floor.

Last edited by kansalliskala on Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few spring to mind, the zenit 11xp, (Can be used as a hammer and take pics afterwards)
Minolta X300-500-700
Olympus Trip 35 Will work for ever and ever almost
Fuji 801
the list goes on

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Minolta sounds interesting, haven't had any yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few that come to mind:-Nikon FM or FE, Canon FTb, Minolta SRT101b...cheaper tough mechanical cameras....cheapest Praktica MTL3 to TL5b. But some have the 1.35v battery for the meter (if it still works accurately), so a hearing aid battery could be used or just alter the asa knob with a 1.5v battery.
All these camera bodies can be picked up free (from forums) or £5-£25 depending on the make.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a really robust film SLR? Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Currently I have a Nikon F-301, Olympus OM-10 and Canon T-50. All of them sort of electronic and/or fragile.
But I really want a camera that I can toss to a car seat and not worry if it bounces on the floor.

If lens mount is no object, I suggest the Cosina or Chinon-made large mechanical SLRs from the first half of the 1970s: Mechanical operation (the battery only operates the light meter and you can do without it if need be); and sturdy, dependable mechanical Copal Square shutters with 1/125s flash synchro. Most of those SLRs have match needle metering, but some have electronically timed shutters with aperture priority AE with speed going up to 1/2000 (like the Memotron CE, one of the best M42 bodies ever made). It's not necessarily high-tech by the standards of our day, but these things just go on forever. Like the old saying goes, if you're being mugged, you can first use it to knock out your assailant, and then take a mug shot of the ruffian.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinon CE 4 and CE5 are great cameras, Pentax PK mount and really robust. I think they are better than the Pentax equivalents - but they are bigger and heavier.

I've got a boxful of film cameras that I'm trying to sell, all cheap, Zenit, Praktica, Minolta 7000 AF, Minolta XD7, Yashica TL Electro, Olympus OM30, and maybe more. I have too much stuff.... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: What is a really robust film SLR? Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
If lens mount is no object, I suggest the Cosina or Chinon-made large mechanical SLRs from the first half of the 1970s:

I had one of those, Porst-branded, wife called it "pig-farmer's camera".

As for the Zenits - no-one can break them externally but they have a habit of spontaneus self-destruction.

Thank you all for suggestions!

Thank You Dog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any mechanical minolta, XG series for example

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurkov wrote:
any mechanical minolta, XG series for example

looks like XG-series has hit a bad case of EVF - just bodies for sale

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A true rangefinder with manual controls could also be fine.

But it has to have a fast lens?

My Kiev 4AM is crap, lenses are good but lack of metering real pia.

I did have an Olympus DC with 1.7 lens but it was too automatic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's an SLR out there that could be more rugged than something in the Exa series. Plus Exa 1b and 1c take M42 lenses and are so cheap/common that if they break it's no big deal to buy another.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about Zenit 312m?

I think it both bounces and floats

alternatively it splits to a thousand pieces when you fire it first time?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricoh Singlex TLS or Sears version.
This may be the same or similar to the Porst "pig farmers" camera.
Put a solid Soligor tele on it, for a handle, and you can use it to drive nails.
Problems are the meter is probably not functional (maybe because of all those people using it to drive nails).
And the shutter is loud with a lot of mirror slap.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the canonet (poor mans Leica) Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Ricoh Singlex TLS or Sears version.
This may be the same or similar to the Porst "pig farmers" camera.

Mine was Porst Reflex TL, which is this camera too?

http://mattsclassiccameras.com/argus_cosina_1000.html

http://www.kamera-geschichte.de/files/porst_slr_tl_d.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ricoh Singlex is derived from a Cosina design, similar to the Argus, the Porst, etc.
The Ricoh Singlex TLS is different on one level, because the speed dial is on the front, not the top. But the earlier Ricoh Singlex (not TLS) had the speed dial on top.
On the other hand the Cosina family resemblance is there in the other details, like the body shape and size, flash sockets on the side, self timer, etc. Cosina made these in versions with the speed dial on the front or also on the top (Cosina Hi-Lite), like the Ricoh TLS.
Its really all one family.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ye could knock nails in with this...fully mechanical...

Zenit Эm. Sunny 16 or get a hand held meter...It takes tasty photos as well...

Or this... for breaking rocks... Minolta XE

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Robust Reply with quote

IF you want the apparatus to be impervious to water, capable of being dropped, stepped on and also wish for some automation, I suggest using the late Nikonos. When it is really raining and nobody brings photo equipment beyond the front door, I use a Nikonos five. Not very fast lens , 35mm 2,5, but with Ilford XP or something similar at 400 ASA it works. Do note that water treats light in a different way, so the "UW" lenses are useless on land. Only the 28, 35 and 70 will work when ashore. 35&70 can be used submerged.

p.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Canon Sure Shot A1 but haven't bought battery and tested it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edixa Mat reflex are built like tanks, are M42 and often come with very good lenses such as Schneider Kreuznach. Like Dog
I also have a Nikon F2 and find it's a rock and can be used as hammer.

Else, I like middle format rangefinders like Iskra or Agilux Agifold 6x6 or Mamiya-6.

or Zorki-3M or 4.

or 35mm fixed lens rangefinders like the Fuji 35 EE or Minolta Hi-Matic 7s or Canonet-17 or 19.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really comment due to lack of experience. However I've just picked up a Nikon FM2 and a trio of great lenses.

Searching the web reveals this to be a great, robust fully manual body, with having only a basic light meter. 1/4000 max speed & 1/250 flash sync.

I stuck a roll of XP2 in it and have been out the past weekend. Love the way it feels and handles.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried a lot, but my Praktica MTL5 is excellent except for the non-functional timer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta SrT100 series Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
Minolta SrT100 series Like 1 small

I had a srt101 in my hands last Saturday but I think it was sort of overpriced and ""dusty". 85 euros with 50/2, some zoom and Tamron 135 adaptamatic. Well, the adaptamatic adapter is somewhat rare.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good copy can be purchased for 30 euro