Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spotmatic's little bag o' lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll be returning the Eyemik to the seller. It just does not perform as well as I thought it would. It shows lots of coma... Fortunately the seller does accept returns. Quality comes at a price Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eyemik is Eyexit Smile

Before I forget: this is currently on its way to me (minus the camera):

Freshly cleaned and adjusted, so it has a silky smooth focus again Smile

OK, I'm boring you to death, but I'll say it one more time: I wanted it because not only it is probably the rarest Pentax standard lens, but also it is the only 35mm SLR standard lens, of all makers, based on the Sonnar scheme. Quite interesting really! Sonnar standard lenses can easily be found for 35mm rangefinders, but not for 35mm SLR's...

And... I'm sure it will get a snug, warm home among its brothers and sisters (58/2.4 Takumar 'Heliar', 35mm f/4 Takumar, 83mm f/1.9 Takumar and more pre-set Takumars will surely follow in the future!)

Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought tonight. Stupid me, it does not fit any of my cameras. But the price was TOO low to pass on this one (30 euros).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Peter. For the rest of the money you saved at your bargain you could buy a F-1 or something else.

Curious what people selling and buying at night ..... is there a special "night-market" in the Netherlands ? Wink

Anyway, great lens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Congratulations, Peter. BTW it looks good on that camera too.
You will be lucky with that lens. It's very nice wide open and for B&W work.
BTW 58mm is a great focal length to work with.
It's in the same SN batch as mine.
I haven't seen one in ebay after I bought mine a couple of years ago.
How much did you spend?
cheers, Frank

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taunusreiter wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

Congratulations, Peter. BTW it looks good on that camera too.
You will be lucky with that lens. It's very nice wide open and for B&W work.
BTW 58mm is a great focal length to work with.
It's in the same SN batch as mine.
I haven't seen one in ebay after I bought mine a couple of years ago.
How much did you spend?
cheers, Frank

Thanks Frank! I kept looking and looking, but I never saw one for sale on eBay. The trick was to post a WTB topic on Pentaxforums, and so I found a CLA'ed one in EXC++ condition. It's working like new and marked in Meters. The downside is that I had to pay a lot of money (for a standard lens). It was already at 150 euros without taxes, and with taxes it was close to 200 euros. But I don't regret it at all (I sold a Leica IIIf with a profit, so to me the lens cost nothing). Maybe you have seen my samples elsewhere on this forum?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Your lenses not get light , due front cap is on, I suggest to remove them and put on cheap used UV filters as front cap and if temperature can be hot , better to store them upside down due in this position grease can go to aperture from helicoid.

This is very cool advice the only downsize being there is always some dust present and i like better dusty front then back (it's easier for dust particles to come inside lens).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Attila wrote:
Your lenses not get light , due front cap is on, I suggest to remove them and put on cheap used UV filters as front cap and if temperature can be hot , better to store them upside down due in this position grease can go to aperture from helicoid.

This is very cool advice the only downsize being there is always some dust present and i like better dusty front then back (it's easier for dust particles to come inside lens).

I keep my lenses in big clear plastic boxes with humidity remover chemical so no much dust inside , but if you store them on bookshelf which is a good solution dust is lesser enemy than fungus.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Thanks Frank! I kept looking and looking, but I never saw one for sale on eBay. The trick was to post a WTB topic on Pentaxforums, and so I found a CLA'ed one in EXC++ condition. It's working like new and marked in Meters. The downside is that I had to pay a lot of money (for a standard lens). It was already at 150 euros without taxes, and with taxes it was close to 200 euros. But I don't regret it at all (I sold a Leica IIIf with a profit, so to me the lens cost nothing). Maybe you have seen my samples elsewhere on this forum?

Yes I've seen your 58mm comparison, but I've noted no real difference. Either the pics were too small or your center object needed some more fine structure and flatness for visualizing sharpness and CA. The Pentax is very different in character than the Biotar and it's not coming out well.
This said, I never found a good test szenario that fully satisfied me.

150,- is a lot for a Pentax standard lens but not too much. After all I don't think there are more than few hundreds left. And yours looking quite unused at least in this pictures. Amazing that it has "meters". From Scandinavia? I've once bought my Original Pentax (1957) with DIN film speed reminder from Sweden.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taunusreiter wrote:

Yes I've seen your 58mm comparison, but I've noted no real difference. Either the pics were too small or your center object needed some more fine structure and flatness for visualizing sharpness and CA. The Pentax is very different in character than the Biotar and it's not coming out well.
This said, I never found a good test szenario that fully satisfied me.

I really should try it on film because I think the APS-C format does not do the lenses justice.

Did you also notice this one, also made with the 58mm f/2 Takumar:

I used the same subject for this photo with the 83mm f/1.9 Takumar:

Quote:

150,- is a lot for a Pentax standard lens but not too much. After all I don't think there are more than few hundreds left. And yours looking quite unused at least in this pictures. Amazing that it has "meters". From Scandinavia? I've once bought my Original Pentax (1957) with DIN film speed reminder from Sweden.

The lens is indeed hardly used. Unfortunately some -just some of the white paint from the engravings in the distance scale has come off, but that's about all (should be easy to "repair" anyway). It came from the USA though, but I don't know where the previous owner bought it.

I'll check my Original Pentax and K to see if there's also a DIN film speed reminder.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one rocks though you could skip on that framing Smile!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Did you also notice this one, also made with the 58mm f/2 Takumar:

Both of them showing the class of the early Takumar lenses. Not just the cameras, also the lenses made the success of Asahi Optical in the 50's- 60's. I also like the outer style of the black/chrome lenses. Quite unique.

So you have your christmas trees decorated in the Netherlands already? Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice lenses are on the way to me:

- Enna Ennalyt 85mm f/1.5 (thanks dear unnamed forum member!)
- Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 S.S.C. Aspherical

Enough stuff to play with! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

I've been looking for such a lens for quite a while now. Would love to play with one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

I've been looking for such a lens for quite a while now. Would love to play with one!

They're hard to find, aren't they?

Here are my first little tests with the Enna Ennalyt 85mm f/1.5, just to get a global idea of how it performs. All wide open excluding the 2nd one which was shot at f/2.8. Honestly it's performing way better than anticipated.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter Very Happy
Great results, congrats with your new toys Smile ....
You have also/really a secret to found lens witch are almost impossible to found Laughing .....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spot, i did not read this whole thread, so please forgive me if the question already has been asked: what would be your one body/one lens go-to combo?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
spot, i did not read this whole thread, so please forgive me if the question already has been asked: what would be your one body/one lens go-to combo?

I'm currently more inth 70-90mm portrait lenses, but a nice walk-around kit for me is the *ist DS plus the 28mm f/3.5 S-M-C Takumar. Hard to go wrong with that kit!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: the Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 S.S.C. Aspherical, with battle scars, has arrived. Even though I have no Canon body I had some fun holding the lens to my *ist DS. I made some shots wide open and wow! It really lives up to the expectations. For that speed (f/1.2) the focus point is REALLY sharp.

My wife will kill me for it for sure! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The giant next to his smaller brother:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Holy Moly!!! That's some piece of glass - congratulations on this acquisition Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! great aspherical gem:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Spotmatic!

Congrats! and wow..

You can confirm that the FD 85 f1.2 is a gem even put in the front of your cam without mounting Smile

the shot is incredible and you have got the best of all 85 1.2 Canon's ever made .. means OPTICALLY..

Hope you'll contact me soon Wink

tf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:

Hope you'll contact me soon Wink

No, I won't as we already had contact Wink

The FD85/1.2 asph will be shipped to you this week. It's not in collector condition and has marks on the front coating, but that's nothing too serious. And I got it very cheap so there's some room for a conversion Wink

Now why don't I own a Canon DSLR anymore... Sad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stuff, eh? With only 10 euros can buy you this. (The body is frozen though).