Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spotmatic's little bag o' lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
CarbonR wrote:
I think that what I like most on the 67 is its sound Very Happy I never heard a 645 Rolling Eyes

I was hand held fun too till I saws how much more sure to make good images from tripod especially with low ISO films. Film, process , time to make it, quite costly so I try to do maximum as possible to get better result include using tripod or mono-pod at least.

Of course, with low ISO films (and I have quite a few 50 ISO Velvia's in the fridge) I'll make sure that the camera is on a solid platform/tripod. Don't we get spoiled by our cameras with shake reduction???

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Attila wrote:
Your lenses not get light , due front cap is on, I suggest to remove them and put on cheap used UV filters as front cap and if temperature can be hot , better to store them upside down due in this position grease can go to aperture from helicoid.

But how does light get in there when the lenses are stored upside down, Attila? Wink

Easy - glass shelves and fluorescent lighting in the cabinet.
Nice collection, Peter. The cabinet is very similar to my (unfinished) one. I've still to put doors on it and see the local glazier about some glass or acrylic for shelving.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I made a good deal tonight Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked and Shocked

I am in awe!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Peter.

Was to early last week with my visit. Would like to see this fine set live and in action.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both of you! And you're always welcome Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you did it Wink cool! Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I still need to learn to use the camera but it isn't that hard if you're used to Pentax controls Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I think I made a good deal tonight ;)

Uh, I certainly hope so, that's an amazing set.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in: a second Carl Zeiss Jena 80mm f/1.8 Pancolar, thanks to a nice gentleman from this forum.

I now have access to three 80mm f/1.8 Pancolars (someone I know from the area also owns one: I cleaned the diaphragm for him) and I'm planning to make a nice family shot - just for bragging and nothing else Razz

The 80mm f/1.8 Pancolar is one of the easiest lenses to work with. After the removal of three screws at the screwmount side the front and back optical blocks come off easily. No other tools needed beside a flat screwdriver. Cleaning is a breeze then (I haven't completely disassembled the diaphragm because cleaning them with naphta usually does the trick and then the lens working perfectly for at least some more years...)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added the following lenses:

- A second copy of the SMC Pentax 1:2.8/30 (user condition)
- Near mint 50mm f/4 S-M-C Macro-Takumar with caps and case
- EXC+ 200mm f/5.6 Tele-Takumar with caps and case
- A Voigtlander Vitessa N (yes, the one with the plunger film transport)\

I also rediscovered my photography books... Danilo Cecchi's Pentax book, and most importantly the book by Pont/Princelle: The Authentic Guide to Russian and Soviet Cameras - MADE in USSR. Nice to re-read it after 10 years.

Edit: damn: now that I search on it it appears that this book also sells for around US$100. I should have collected camera books instead of cameras back then! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's a few out of print books where the pages seem to have been replaced by dollar bills... Wink

A Vitessa!!! I'm really curious to see how you get on with it, as those are some super nice made cameras. I've played with one at a camera show.

Meanwhile, my GAS has taken a detour - now as I see camera ads from the '50s I then try to find one. After scanning in this:

I now have a Minolta A-2 on the way, with what looks like the coupled meter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

A Vitessa!!! I'm really curious to see how you get on with it, as those are some super nice made cameras. I've played with one at a camera show.

Indeed, it's a very well made camera. One thing I don't like though is the fact that the diaphragm and shutter speeds are coupled. My copy is fitted with the 50mm f/3.5 Color-Skopar and not the f/2 Ultron, but those are expensive anyway. Also, it's more of a user than a collector, but that's what I bought it for Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On its way to me:

The smart guys can guess which lens this is Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
On its way to me:

I don't consider myself to be smart, but if that's not a 1.9/83 I'll eat every schoolbook I ever owned Wink

Congratulations on this amazing find!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
On its way to me:

I don't consider myself to be smart, but if that's not a 1.9/83 I'll eat every schoolbook I ever owned Wink

So you've never been to school in your whole life? Wink

I'm happy to tell you that you're completely.... right! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
On its way to me:

+1 Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
So you've never been to school in your whole life? Wink

I'm happy to tell you that you're completely.... right! Very Happy

That's a truly beautiful lens to behold, and is on my (very long) wish-list Embarassed

Again, congratulations on acquiring this rare specimen - with a nice serial number too Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erf, that's the 85mm (or so) that lack in my collection, and yours seems to be in incredible condition (and with its chrome 49mm cap, I miss one on Ebay), how much did you pay for it ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell how much it did cost when it arrives. By the way: it was not bought on eBay or on other 2nd hand sites, and also not from known top-dollar sellers (like GoKevinCameras). I bought it from a seller who also frequents the camera fairs I visit.

The ONLY drawback: the lens isn't original anymore; as you might have guessed this is the Asahiflex version and that one should have a 37mm screwmount. The rear part of this lens was replaced with a brass M42 mount. That's very bad from a collector's point of view and I have a strong objection to altering lenses, but in this case I have decided to get it back in its original state (it doesn't look irreversible). Don't know how, don't know when, but I'll make sure it happens. And in the meantime I can use this lens. Looks like a win-win situation to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic, you have the chance to own true metal & glass jewels.
Surprised

Myself having nothing earlier than super-Takumar from Asahi, I'm curious about these early black / metal Takumar lenses.
Which is the naked metal : aluminium or chromed brass ?
Are black parts made of brass, or anodized aluminium like in s-Takumar ? How about focussing (I guess as good as in later all black SMCT) ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silicium777 wrote:
Spotmatic, you have the chance to own true metal & glass jewels.
Surprised

Myself having nothing earlier than super-Takumar from Asahi, I'm curious about these early black / metal Takumar lenses.
Which is the naked metal : aluminium or chromed brass ?
Are black parts made of brass, or anodized aluminium like in s-Takumar ? How about focussing (I guess as good as in later all black SMCT) ?

Thanks! The chrome lenses are completely made out of chromed brass, so these are quite heavy (but also feel like jewels because of that). I must resist touching them because fingerprints show up all too well on the shiny chrome. Laughing

The early black/chrome lenses are made out of a mix of chromed brass and black anodized aluminium. Those lenses are much lighter in weight. Focusing should be good but I believe not on the same level as the later Super/SMC Takumars. But this may also be due to the fact that most of these lenses are 10 years older than most Super/SMC Takumars, so that's 10 more years for the helicoid grease to dry up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there were an improvement between Takumars and Super Takumars (maybe Auto, because my Autos are smooth too). I have no Takumar which is as smooth as Super(-Multi-Coated) Takumars. My Auto Takumar are rather smooth, close to Super Takumars, but the M37 are definitively much tight.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
Erf, that's the 85mm (or so) that lack in my collection, and yours seems to be in incredible condition (and with its chrome 49mm cap)

Before I forget: I already have a replacement chrome 49mm AOCo cap and also the original hood (in box), bought nearly 10 years ago. I never managed to buy the lens though, but then I wasn't really looking for it.

(Sorry for the bad pics, I don't have time for a proper set-up Wink)

It cannot be mistaken where the hood should fit on:

Isn't it nice to also have the original Asahiflex box?

What about the original lens hood for the 58mm f/2.4 Takumar (yes, the Heliar-type)?

I even have an Asahiflex lapel pin, made in France. Don't know who made/sold it though and for what purpose.

I even have some of the oldest Asahi filters. You can tell its age because the 35mm f/4 Takumar is mentioned on the box:

Never quit smoking? Then why not do it in style, with a proper Asahi Pentax ES cigarette lighter? Very Happy

Last but not least, I even have the original Asahiflex bulb flash, a very high quality one made of chromed brass. Should dig it up and make some nice product shots Wink