Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma SD14 and manual lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[DSG wroteThere are a lot of dodgy M42-SA adapters in circulation on ebay.
Avoid any M42-SA adapter that do not have an AA pin compresser flange built in...Here is an example of one that should be avoided:

http://images.virtualvillage.com/005200-029/002.jpg ]

unfortunately i had not read this thread and i bought this one. it seems to work fine, though i just received a sigma 21-35mm m42 whose AA pin is not properly pushed in with this adapter--but this is the first problem i have encountered. can i be doing some kind of damage using this adapter?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Klaus,

Is the SD9 the same as the 10's and 14's with the IR filter, i assume that this modified 9 will be used for IR shots only?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpo83 wrote:
Nice work Klaus,

Is the SD9 the same as the 10's and 14's with the IR filter, i assume that this modified 9 will be used for IR shots only?

Hi, in contrary to the SD10 and SD14, the SD9 has the IR filter combined with the sensor. So it works fine without the dust protector, but I will have to clean the sensor more often.

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sigmafellas!
I have recently decided to give M42 lenses a try and also bought one lens. Next question is, which adapter to choose? There are lots of adapters on Ebay and cheapest are under 10e but are they any good?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi and welcome

dont try the cheapest. look in this thread for a post by member DSG who has a link to what is probably the best adapter for sigma>m42. i myself use the second adapter listed in that particular post, which is listed as a dont use, and i have not had any problem. however were i just starting i would take DSGs advice as he seems very knowledgeable.

cant wait to see some pictures.
tony

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD14 + Pancolar 50/1.8 via the cheapest adapter

It focused past infinity - not very handy and I'm afraid it will scratch the filter, but it is not.

Some samples

Corner darkens because of using unsuitable DIY hood from rubber hose.

Monochrome option in SPP

Monochrome with higher contrast

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long time, no see!
I'm looking for a f/1.2 lens for adapting, which one do you prefer. I would like it to have pretty good bokeh and somewhat sharp (of course at f/1.2 the sharpness isn't the most important but still.. Very Happy )
I have Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 or Pentax 50mm f/1.2 in my mind, they both supposed to be pretty good. Do you have any other lens suggestions or which one would you like to take?

Atleast with Pentax I think the conversion would not take more than 10 minutes (most of the time looking for tools Very Happy ) but Rokkor supposed not to be so hard to convert.

But please, if you have something to say please feel free! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd consider the Revuenon 1,2 with PK mount. Easy to convert, but needs a 1,5mm shim.

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old CSM42 adapter, an high quality adapter once made in Japan that comes with a separated flange ring. I've actually glued the ring that came with it, but later took it off (with diluent), so that I can use the M/A control that exists in all my M42 lenses to activate/deactivate the diaphragm. All M42 lenses I have work just fine with this adapter both in a SD14 and a SA-9 film body.

Concerning incompatible lenses: I have the first version of the Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4, the one with 8 elements, that slightly touches the dust protector when set just a bit above infinity (my lens infinity was calibrated so that it focus well in some broken soviet cameras... infinity in a Spotmatic or well adapted camera is between the oo and 10m mark), but this is not really a problem since I've used it a lot and never scratched either the dust protector or the lens. I can actually feel the lens touching the protector at the end of the focus scale, so probably any lens having the same problem would not brake anything unless you focused it carelessly the first time you tried it.

BTW, the dust protector assembly is plastic, and flexible: the lens touches it and can keep moving past that point. Probably not much, but in my case enough that the lens stops at the infinity mark well before doing any damage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the SD-14's focus confirmation work with "normal" SA/M42 adapter, or it does need a dandelion?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f1.8 lens today. Anybody know the best way to adapt this to a Sigma SD14?

I already have a nice SA to M42 adapter. But I can't seem to locate an AR to M42 adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Bought a Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f1.8 lens today. Anybody know the best way to adapt this to a Sigma SD14?

I already have a nice SA to M42 adapter. But I can't seem to locate an AR to M42 adapter.

No external adapter possible, register distance for Konica Hexanon AR is 40.5mm whilst Sigma's are 44mm, so the lens should be "cut" by 3.5mm to focus properly. You can only use adapters when register distance of the lens is shorter than register distance of the camera, the difference in the thickness of the adapter. In this case negative, then not possible without cutting a slice from the lens...

Hexanon lenses can be mounted on 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras, that have a shorter register distance.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes I appreciate the reply. Thank you!!

Furthermore, I agree with your assertion. The Konica register distance is, indeed, very short . . . . unusually short. The Konica lens, if mounted onto a Sigma SD14, will not allow focus to infinity.

Still, the Konica is a pretty good lens. I'd like to mount it anyway just to play with it. Looks as if this might take a little machine shop work.

Thanks again and best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Focus confirmation Reply with quote

pulatom wrote:
Does the SD-14's focus confirmation work with "normal" SA/M42 adapter, or it does need a dandelion?

Yes, it does focus confirmation. The only quirk is that you must mount a sigma lens each time the battery is changed and take a shot. After that the camera will confirm focus with any lens until you need to change the battery again.

Any cheap sigma lens will do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a nice Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm 1.7 converted to Sigma mount. It works very well and the Foveon sensor helps in getting the most of the planar colours.

These days I've been doing the last trimmings to the trees in the garden, I needed to use a pole with the trimming scissors at the end. It was not used since past year, so it was a little rusty and full of spiderwebs and some dead spider. Taken wide open. Colours are realistic. I love the smooth bokeh.

Some issues with the Planar: Wide open needs to compensate the exposition by -0.3. Also the focus confirmation becomes critical, a short pulse on the green led when passing over the focus.

Keep trying this nice lens.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures Jes. I'm waiting for the price of the SD15 to drop before following your route. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Nice pictures Jes. I'm waiting for the price of the SD15 to drop before following your route. Smile

To me the SD15 gives only marginal benefits compared to the SD14, at a much higher price. I look forward to see wich price tag do the Sigma fellows set the DP1, but until then and by now I'll stick to the SD14 and the DP1s, and probably will be selling the SD9 (that I barely use).

These days I also look (with much excitemenent) to the Sony NEX line... Wink

Next days I'll be trying the Berogon on the SD14. Keep posting.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
To me the SD15 gives only marginal benefits compared to the SD14, at a much higher price. I look forward to see wich price tag do the Sigma fellows set the DP1, but until then and by now I'll stick to the SD14 and the DP1s, and probably will be selling the SD9 (that I barely use).

Jes, the SD15 has improved wb, high iso and color handling compared to the SD14: with my DP2 (which has the same processor as the SD14), I often get green corners or weird color casts, and ISO 400 is barely usable for colour shots. The SD15 is also much faster, but you are right as for its price: until the SD1 comes out and the SD15 price drops considerably, it's just too expensive. German prices have come down already, so it's just a matter of months.

Quote:
These days I also look (with much excitemenent) to the Sony NEX line... Wink

I don't: I much prefer having an optical vf, but more importantly all the Nex shots I've seen so far, and there are lots even here, look dull and flat. I absolutely dislike its IQ.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:

I don't: I much prefer having an optical vf, but more importantly all the Nex shots I've seen so far, and there are lots even here, look dull and flat. I absolutely dislike its IQ.

Ludoo, I wentto the NEX-5 way. Wink
Please, look at my threads on it: I see no dull colours at all, and even 12800 ISO is useable by turning the pics onto B&W:

http://forum.mflenses.com/berogon-35mm-f-3-5-m42-on-the-nex-5-t37838.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/first-impressions-with-my-nex-5-t37592.html

And some shots with the Jupiter-9 in this thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/1965-alu-jupiter-9-strange-finish-question-t37720.html

I agree that shooting without a viewfinder is more difficult, but the outstanding results, having an APS-C sensor and the price of the camera (IMHO) justifiy the investment. Since I own the NEX, I've not used any other cam Smile

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes wrote: Some issues with the Planar: Wide open needs to compensate the exposition by -0.3. Also the focus confirmation becomes critical, a short pulse on the green led when passing over the focus.

Doesn't seem like a big issue though, being only3/10ths of a stop difference.
I remember the very nice green led that confirmed focus - really handy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Ludoo, I wentto the NEX-5 way. Wink

Jes, I saw your shots in the past weeks, and while they look really good I don't find the "Foveon look" in them: that special combination of sharpness and micro contrast/color variations which I love. Plus, the Nex has no viewfinder and for my type of shooting (mostly people, not posed) it would be useless.

Sell my your SD14 then. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:

Sell my your SD14 then. Smile

I was thinking so. With the DP1s I'm Foveon covered....
I'm open to offers, I have several SIGMA lenses for it. Wink

Let me take some shots of the cam and the gear, I'll be posting them onto the Marketplace, but you have the first option...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Jes wrote: Some issues with the Planar: Wide open needs to compensate the exposition by -0.3. Also the focus confirmation becomes critical, a short pulse on the green led when passing over the focus.

Doesn't seem like a big issue though, being only3/10ths of a stop difference.
I remember the very nice green led that confirmed focus - really handy.

Not really an issue Wink
Thanks for commenting, Larry!.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Adaptall 2 Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Hope someone out there might have a thought on this:

I have the Sigma SD14 running with (among others) Tamron Adaptall 2 MF glass. At present time I am using two adapters:

Adaptall 2 to M42

M42 to PK

This works.

Perhaps, but it does'nt work properly! You should get a proper M42-SA adapter instead for perfect fit and accurate register.

guardian wrote:

But has anyone ever seen an Adaptall 2 to SA adapter? Does this item exist?

No but an Adaptall to PK adapter exists and thats fits the SA mount too, albiet, with a little play in the fit.

guardian wrote:

I'm pretty sure I can buy an Adaptall 2 to PK . . . . but before I do, I want to be sure the better alternative does not exist.

A better alternative does exist, simply get yourself a cheap Polish made M42-SA adapter and you will have a perfect fit with your existing adaptall-M42 adapter. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTH wrote:
So long time, no see!
I'm looking for a f/1.2 lens for adapting, which one do you prefer. I would like it to have pretty good bokeh and somewhat sharp (of course at f/1.2 the sharpness isn't the most important but still.. Very Happy )
I have Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 or Pentax 50mm f/1.2 in my mind, they both supposed to be pretty good. Do you have any other lens suggestions or which one would you like to take?

Atleast with Pentax I think the conversion would not take more than 10 minutes (most of the time looking for tools Very Happy ) but Rokkor supposed not to be so hard to convert.

But please, if you have something to say please feel free! Very Happy

I use the Canon FL 55mm f1.2...Converted it to SA mount. Wink