Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma SD14 and manual lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Sigma SD14 and manual lenses Reply with quote

At Bob's suggestion I will indeed start a thread for the Sigma SD9, SD10 and SD14 which work just fine with manual lenses.
Please add any links, experiences and photos!
It has a Sigma SA mount which is mechanically the same as Pentax K but with a registration of 44mm.
The only adapter available is for M42 lenses although there used to be one for Nikon I think.
You can mount PK lenses If you remove the aperture link and baffle which will then work fine although they'll focus a bit past infinity.
Anything else needs a little more work!

Look at these links for info

http://www.foto.nordjylland.biz/SD14/SD-usertips.htm

http://www.foto.nordjylland.biz/SD14/SD14-NonSigmaLenses.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks anyone else with more info please post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sigma SD14 and manual lenses Reply with quote

I am happy to say that the SD14 to Contax C/Y Mount replacement kit has finally reached the status of Prototype , as you can see here:

The Prototype stage is just a validation of Feasability of the project . It is far from what is required to start production , For that the project needs to go trough another validation , this time of Manufacturability.

I am confident though that most of the obstacles that have surfaced could be overcome. What I am not so sure is if a Mount Replacement KIT can be made that can be installed by a non skilled user.

It looks promissing , but the Planar and another C/Y Zoom lens , have both required the REMOVAL of those Aperture levers that project into the Mirror Cavity. The Good News is that after that there is no Interference with the Dust Filter.

However , because of that , and some other issues ,at this point it looks like the first SD14-ZY offerings will be of Converted cameras , rather than Mount replacement kits. This way perhaps some useful information can be gathered from user feedback regarding lens usability .

The Planar is surprisingly good . Very Sharp and Contrasty and yet with a beautiful , Creamy Bokeh. Color , as well known is a bit on the Blue side, that seems to be a Zeiss trademark .

There is also a certain "Glow" on some images that is reminiscent of the "Leica Glow" that for some images works very nice.

See for yourself here:http://www.sigmacumlaude.com/sigmacumlaude/Sigma%20SD14%2DZY%20Gallery/Sigma%20SD14%2DZY/

If you have an interest in this mount please email me at luis@sigmacumlaude.com so I can put you on my mailing list for further news.

Luis

--
http://photo.net/photos/Luis-A-Guevara
http://www.pbase.com/luis_a_guevara/galleries
http://luis-a-guevara.deviantart.com/

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LUIS+A+GUEVARA/
http://www.summiluxart.com/
http://www.sigmacumlaude.com/

luis@sigmacumlaude.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, this is very interesting for me, I have a question, do I understand correctly that a modification to contax lenses is required to mount them?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Luis, this is very interesting for me, I have a question, do I understand correctly that a modification to contax lenses is required to mount them?

Hi Orio . Yes the Aperture levers extend to far into the mirror box and touch the SD14 Mirror Cage preventing you from engaging the lens bayonet.

This prongs can be rempved in some lenses when they are screwed in or in other cases cut whith a file or a saw.

I cannot say if all Contax lenses have the same architecture in their exit pupil , and in my experience with Leica -R lenses , it is in the Wide Angle lenses were most mount conflict appear. The images above shows what I had to do to the 50 f1.4 Planar.
Luis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis
This is great news! Certainly the work you are doing will be well received especially on this Forum. It is too bad the aperture pin must be modified. This may slow me personally as some of the Contax lenses are too expensive to own 2 copies (one for sigma and one for film use with Contax cameras). Of course many will not worry about something so trivial as shooting with Foveon and Contax is very appealing . Thankyou for your efforts! You are a true pioneer Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Well this is not good news really, I'm afraid. I could sacrifice a copy of a Planar 50 or lens with similar budget (100 to 150 Euros), but I doubt I'd never do that to a Distagon 1.4/35 or Sonnar 2.8/180.
But this is me, maybe other people would want to do that, after all there is a lot of people now who is using Contax lenses on digital.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little reluctant to sacrifice any the zeiss lenses in this way as they wouldn't work on film anymore. My intention is to try a couple of yashica ML and decide after that. I have a feeling the sacrifice may be well worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thank you. Well this is not good news really, I'm afraid. I could sacrifice a copy of a Planar 50 or lens with similar budget (100 to 150 Euros), but I doubt I'd never do that to a Distagon 1.4/35 or Sonnar 2.8/180.
But this is me, maybe other people would want to do that, after all there is a lot of people now who is using Contax lenses on digital.

Neither would I . The way I did it to the Planar was non reversible because it was purchase for the creation of a mount prototype, but if you dont mind getting more involved you could disassemble the Contax lens mount and unscrew those pins instead of cutting them.

I did that to another lens that I tried before the Planar. But I dont know if all Contax lenses are made the same way.

I also dont know if the Distagon would fit at all, since wide angle lenses per force need to be closer to the Film Plane. If you can , please try to measure the distance from the flange to the exit pupil on all the Contax lenses that you own and report that to me . Maybe some other people might want to help on this. If that is the case please email me directly at luis@sigmacumlaude.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: There is no need to de-lever them... Reply with quote

There is no need to de-lever them if you simply remove the C/Y mounting plate and swap it for either an SA mounting plate or an M42-SA adapter.
The easiest Ziess lens to convert to SA mount is without dought the 85mm f1.4 Planar T* (MM version).
As an SA mounting plate is the same diameter as the 85mm's C/Y mounting plate its virtually a direct swap, albeit with some drilling and countersinking in the SA mounting plate to do first.
Here is a picture of the rear of my SA mount 85mm f1.4 Planar T* (note it has no bezel ring...I could'nt be bothered to make one for it):

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1180/img17738buu2.jpg

The 28mm Distagon T* is a little trickier because its C/Y mounting plate securing holes are well within the inner circumference of an SA mounting plate...The solution was to make a simple stepped washer out of Aluminium which sits inside the SA plate and also acts as the lens's bezel ring...A picture of rear of my SA mount 28mm f2.8 Distagon T* is here:

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/2008/img14104cqf0.jpg

The 50mm f1.4 has a similar securing screw setup to the 28mm so it might be possible to use the same washer to convert one to SA mount.
On no account should you ever consider trying to convert the 50mm f1.7 Planar T* to any other mount, trust me on this!...Its has a horrendously complex iris actuation mechanism inside to work around that consists of two seperate actuators on opposite sides of the lens that have to be turned simultaniously in opposite directions but at different rotational rates!!!...By employing some precison engineered parts custom made for the job I managed it, just, but it does'nt have click stops anymore.
In any case, the lens really is'nt anywhere near as good as its MTF scores would lead you to believe, in fact its really nothing special at all, so even if you spot a cheap one I would give it a very wide berth and get the 50mm f1.4 version instead.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Lens List Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Thanks anyone else with more info please post

I have a Sigma SD10 and a Sigma SD14 and the lenses I use on them are manual focus/manual stop down only lenses, currently ranging from 14mm to 1100mm FL.
Some of them could not be used until they were converted to a Sigma compatable mount, such as M42 mount, PK mount (Pentax K) or, of course, SA mount.
I decided to convert some of the lenses to SA mount, not because I had to, but because I reserve that honour for my best quality lenses that I need to focus to infinity.
I use my Mamiya 645 lenses via an M645-SA adapter, which I made myself, and the Nikon lenses that I have'nt converted (The Micro Nikkors), I use via a Roxsen Nikon lens to M42 camera adapter plus an M42-SA adapter.
Whilst the Roxsen adapter does not allow Nikon mount lenses to reach infinity focus on an SA mount camera, you dont really need infinity focus for macro shots, which is why I have'nt bothered converting my Micro-Nikkors to another mount.
Most of my lenses came as M42 mount lenses and so did'nt need converting before I could use them...For the ones that needed conversion I will add what mount they came as and what mount I converted them to in brackets.
Here is a list of the lenses that I have found to be fully compatable for use on the SD10 and SD14, in order of ascending FL...Primes first:

Sigma 14mm f3.5 (rectalinear) (FD-M42)
Tokina RMC 17mm f3.5 TL (rectalinear) (MD-M42)
Tokina 24mm f2.8
Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Distagon T* (C/Y-SA)
Sirius 28mm f2.8 Macro
Carl Zeiss Jena 29mm f2.8
Optomax 35mm f2.8
Nikon 35mm f1.4 AIS (Nikon-SA)
Carl Zeiss 50mm f1.7 Planar T* (C/Y-PK)
Pentacon 50mm f1.8
Meyer-Optik Oreston 50mm f1.8
Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8
Nikon E-Series 50mm f1.8 AIS
Wray 2" (50.4mm) f1.0 (-M42)
Canon FL 55mm f1.2 (FL-SA)
Nikon Micro-Nikkor 55mm f2.8
Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.4 (MD-SA)
Mamiya-Sekkor 645 80mm f2.8 N
Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Planar T* (C/Y-SA)
Tamron 90mm f2.5 SP Macro
Nikon 105mm f2.5 AIS (Nikon-F-SA)
Sigmatel Scalematic 135mm f1.8 (YS MD-YS M42)
Mamiya-Sekkor 645 150mm f3.5 N
Carl Zeiss Jena 180mm f2.8 "Olympic" Sonnar
Nikon Micro-Nikkor 200mm f4 IF AIS
Mamiya-Sekkor 645 210mm f4 N
Tamron 300mm f2.8 LD IF
Taylor-Hobson 12" (304.8mm) f4 (Vinten F95-M42)
Vivitar 400mm f5.6
Enna Tele-Ennalyt 400mm f4.5
MTO 1000A 1100mm f10.5 (T2 Nikon-F-T2 PK)

Zooms:
Vivitar 28-200mm f3.5-f5.3 Macro (OM-SA)
Vivitar 35-200mm f3.0-f4.5 Macro (C/Y-M42)
Tamron CF Tele Macro 80-210mm f3.8-f4 BBAR MC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning: I've just discovered, that CZJ Tessar 40/4.5 is unfortunately incompatible with SD14 and can break the IR/dust-filter! It's back parts are protruding too much into the camera body.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon 45mm f2.8 pancake lens?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:
Nikon 45mm f2.8 pancake lens?

Well the E-series 50mm f1.8 is practically a pancake lens and that works fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: OM mount conversion Reply with quote

Now, this is interesting, (he said, eyeing a few choice Zuikos)

Click here to see on Ebay

The auction above is the first I've seen of this, there's nothing on sigmacumlaude.com

-Zandr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: AF Confirm on converted mounts? Reply with quote

I'm curious about something on the SD14. My understanding is that after changing the battery, you need to mount a Sigma lens to activate AF confirmation.

So how does this work if you've converted to one of the other mounts that are available from sigmacumlaude?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This list contains Sigma SD14 compatible lenses (M42) I have personaly tested:

CZJ Flektogon 20/2.8
Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8
Vivitar VMC S1 28/1.9 (Tokina)
Vivitar 28/2.5 (Kiron)
Vivitar 28/2.8 (Komine)
Focal MC 28/2.8
S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5
Pentacon 29/2.8
Vivitar 35/1.9 (Komine)
Super Takumar "PRO" 35/2
S-M-C Takumar 35/2
Auto Takumar 35/2.3
CZJ Flektogon 35/2.4
Cosina Cosinon 35/2.8
Schneider-Kreuznach Curtagon 35/2.8
Schneider-Kreuznach C-Curtagon (Baby-C) 35/2.8
S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5
Meyer-Görlitz Primagon V 35/4.5
ZOMZ MIR-1 37/2.8 (silver, black Grand Prix) - but MIR 1B is very likely incompatible
Super Takumar (2nd version) 50/1.4
S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4
SMC Takumar 50/1.4
CZJ Pancolar 50/1.8
Pentacon 50/1.8
Meyer-Görlitz Oreston 50/1.8
Helios 77M 50/1.8
JOV Helios 77M-4 50/1.8
KMZ Zenitar M2s 50/2.0
LZOS Volna-9 50/2.8
CZJ Tessar (ALU pre-set) 50/2.8
Meyer-Görlitz Trioplan 50/2.9
KMZ Industar 50-2 50/3.5
S-M-C Macro Takumar 50/4
Tomioka Yashinon 55/1.2
Pancolar 55/1.4
Revuenon 55/1.4
Cosionon 55/1.4
Porst 55/1.4
Chinon 55/1.7
Meyer-Görlitz Primoplan V 58/1.9 (pre-set and manual)
KMZ Helios 44M 58/2
JOV Helios 44M-4 58/2
CZJ Biotar manual 58/2
CZJ Biotar pre-set 58/2
CZJ Biotar semi-auto 58/2
CZJ Biotar ALU 75/1.5
CZJ Pancolar 80/1.8
CZJ Biometar 80/2.8
KMZ Helios 40-2 85/1.5
S-M-C Takumar 85/1.8
Vivitar 85/1.8 T + T2->M42 adapter
Jupiter 85/2
Meyer-Görlitz Telefogar V 90/3.5
Meyer-Görlitz Trioplan V 100/2.8 (old and new version)
S-M-C Macro Takumar 100/4
Spiratone plura-coat 135/1.8 (native M42 version)
Pentacon pre-set 135/2.8
KMZ TAIR 11A 135/2.8
Accura Supertel 135/3.2
Jupiter 37A / AM 135/3.5
CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5
Schneider-Kreuznach Telexenar 135/3.5
S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5
Meyer-Görlitz Telemegor V 180/5.5

tested and incompatible:
CZJ Tessar 40/4.5
Voigtlander Color-Ultron 50/1.8 - work, but rear part hits IR filter near infinity
Spiratone 35/2.8 T-mount + T->M42 adapter (works, but at infinity the lens touches the IR filter - risk of scratches)

Last edited by no-X on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: OM mount conversion Reply with quote

n6mod wrote:
Now, this is interesting, (he said, eyeing a few choice Zuikos)

Click here to see on Ebay

The auction above is the first I've seen of this, there's nothing on sigmacumlaude.com

-Zandr

I apologize , the listing for the Olympus OM Mount Replacement kit for SD14 appeared on eBay , before it did on our website .

There is a Product page now , http://www.sigmacumlaude.com/products.html

and also a Forum http://www.sigmacumlaude.com/sigmacumlaude/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=forum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb!! Thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly is. I think I must have one. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New SD-14 body and yet to take my first photograph. Awaiting receipt of CF memory.

Yesterday's job was to mount my Tamrom SP 90mm F/2.5 model 52B lens onto the camera. This lens uses the Adaptall-2 mount.

Also on hand had:

Tamron Adaptall-2 Custom Mount to adapt M42

and

M42 to PK adapter, brass, bought from a dealer in Texas on eBay

The PK adapter seemed to fit into the SD-14 without trouble or damage to the camera body. Have had it in and out a number of times. The red dot on this PK adapter, though, should/can/must not be lined up with the camera body's red dot when installing. You have to free lance a bit and figure it out before you go ahead.

Problem with the Tamron lens was limited to the iris control pin. It is necessary to depress the pin to achieve the iris setting one dials up. The SD-14 has no provision for this whatsoever. Also, the pin intrudes into the camera body enough to be a nuisance.

To make this work I fabbed up a tiny collar, of brass, which asserts the mechaniam activated by the pin. This is a simpleminded fix, but creating such a tiny part with my big fingers was tough and required several tries.

Finally, with the pin annoyance solved, I screwed everything together and the outcome is good. This morning I was able to test infinity focus and there is no problem. My image in the viewfinder is very clear.

I also have a Tamron-SP 2X Tele Converter model 01F which works with my Tamron lens. I have not yet mounted the converter or tried it, but it should work.

Now if only the CF memory cards would arrive I could take some photos. It will be a few more days, though. Sad

One final thing:

The three Tamron items (lens, converter, and mount) are all in virtually new condition, found that way several years ago at the local thrift shop. In a package deal I paid US$10 for all three . . . a few cents less actually. Not a bad deal. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did get one of those OM mounts from Luis - who provides an excellent service by the way - and finally have got around to fitting it which really was very straight forward.

I've only put the 55/1.2 on it so far which works fine. However some zuiko lenses have a protruding guard on the baffle which gets in the way of the filter so if I'm to use those they need modifying. I'll post a compatability list of those I have in due course but it's fairly obvious which will work if you look at the mount on the lens.

The mount kit from Luis was a perfect fit. Very pleased!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD 14 body is now 220 Euros? (about US$300)
What a bargain?
http://www3.computeruniverse.net/info.asp?id=90199841&promo=10734&banner=&pos=

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aniramca wrote:
SD 14 body is now 220 Euros? (about US$300)
What a bargain?
http://www3.computeruniverse.net/info.asp?id=90199841&promo=10734&banner=&pos=

Agreed. I just checked it out. Came up for me at €222 but they knock off the VAT for items sent to North America. Shipping is extra, of course. Bottom line for me was US$310 including shipping to USA with payment sent via PayPal.

Couple of things:

Not sure about applicability of Europe warranty here in N.A.. Also not sure if there might be duty charged on something like this.

Still, a steal of a deal, and especially considering Cameta has RAISED their price recently.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Requesting SD14 Assist Reply with quote

Could somebody help out a noob, please?:

Am taking photos with my SD14 using a MF Tamron lens.

Camera is set to "M" and when I switch it on I go to the first position to take single photos.

For about the first five to ten seconds after the camera is switched on I can set the shutter speed by rotating the wheel which surrounds the shutter button. After that, the shutter speed locks in. If I want to change shutter speed I have to turn the camera off, and then back on.

Obviously I don't know what I'm doing. Confused

With the camera switched on for a while, how do I gain ability to change shutter speed? What must I do?

Thanks!!