Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma SD14 and manual lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Adaptall 2 Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
A better alternative does exist, simply get yourself a cheap Polish made M42-SA adapter and you will have a perfect fit with your existing adaptall-M42 adapter. Wink


+1, never had any problems with the Polish M42-SA adapter


PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Adaptall 2 Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
guardian wrote:
Hope someone out there might have a thought on this:

I have the Sigma SD14 running with (among others) Tamron Adaptall 2 MF glass. At present time I am using two adapters:

Adaptall 2 to M42

M42 to PK

This works.



Perhaps, but it does'nt work properly! You should get a proper M42-SA adapter instead for perfect fit and accurate register.

guardian wrote:

But has anyone ever seen an Adaptall 2 to SA adapter? Does this item exist?


No but an Adaptall to PK adapter exists and thats fits the SA mount too, albiet, with a little play in the fit.

guardian wrote:

I'm pretty sure I can buy an Adaptall 2 to PK . . . . but before I do, I want to be sure the better alternative does not exist.


A better alternative does exist, simply get yourself a cheap Polish made M42-SA adapter and you will have a perfect fit with your existing adaptall-M42 adapter. Wink


DSG

I appreciate your reply albeit I'm only just seeing it for the first time now, many months later.

And, yes, I did discover in the interim you are correct and I can confirm your wisdom regarding m42 to PK vs. m42 to SA for the SD14. The latter is, indeed, better and one encounters less "slop" using the correct SA adapter. The PK does work, though, and will allow photos to be taken in a pinch. However, I now use only the m42 to SA adapter as per your thinking. Incidentally, I bought the brass adapter from China. It is silver in color. I have since seen negative comments written about this adapter, though I've not myself had any trouble with it whatsoever. I like it.


PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Focus confirmation Reply with quote

n6mod wrote:
I'm curious about something on the SD14. My understanding is that after changing the battery, you need to mount a Sigma lens to activate AF confirmation.


rnbc wrote:
pulatom wrote:
Does the SD-14's focus confirmation work with "normal" SA/M42 adapter, or it does need a dandelion?


Yes, it does focus confirmation. The only quirk is that you must mount a sigma lens each time the battery is changed and take a shot. After that the camera will confirm focus with any lens until you need to change the battery again.

Any cheap sigma lens will do.


This trick, provided it works consistently, is a very attractive alternative to use of a dandelion. Has anyone else had good fortune with this "take one shot with any Sigma AF lens then change to MF lens and go from there" approach to focus confirmation?

I think if this works consistently it's a pretty big deal, and a really wonderful help.


PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Focus confirmation Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
n6mod wrote:
I'm curious about something on the SD14. My understanding is that after changing the battery, you need to mount a Sigma lens to activate AF confirmation.


rnbc wrote:
pulatom wrote:
Does the SD-14's focus confirmation work with "normal" SA/M42 adapter, or it does need a dandelion?


Yes, it does focus confirmation. The only quirk is that you must mount a sigma lens each time the battery is changed and take a shot. After that the camera will confirm focus with any lens until you need to change the battery again.

Any cheap sigma lens will do.


This trick, provided it works consistently, is a very attractive alternative to use of a dandelion. Has anyone else had good fortune with this "take one shot with any Sigma AF lens then change to MF lens and go from there" approach to focus confirmation?

I think if this works consistently it's a pretty big deal, and a really wonderful help.


I have never used this approach. I have a black M42 adapter (I think it's the Polish made one). I just stick it on and I get focusing confirmation. I always use M.


PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this thread open for Sigma SD15 too?


PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They pretty much the same when it comes to mounting glass right? sure why not. Wink

(I'm secretly in love with the fov sensor just because it's different Razz )


PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera: Sigma SD15
Lens: adapted ProLux 2.8 120mm projector lens





PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question - does exist adapter for Praktica Bayonet lenses and Nikon-S lenses for use with sigma SD camera?

I found M42 only...


PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldMark wrote:
Is this thread open for Sigma SD15 too?


It is insofar as I'm concerned! And BTW, your photos are gorgeous . . . only possible with Foveon!


PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oblak wrote:
Just a question - does exist adapter for Praktica Bayonet lenses and Nikon-S lenses for use with sigma SD camera?

I found M42 only...


I have sought over a number of years to locate adapters for Sigma SA, other than for m42. So far:

NO LUCK!

The quest goes on, but I'm afraid I might actually be able to locate the Golden Fleece itself before I ever find desperately-wanted Sigma SA adapters!

Of course it is possible, at great cost, to replace entirely your camera body's Sigma SA mount with another mount. That is not an alternative that beckons to me, however.


PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Sigma SA and Pentax PK identical?

Mechanically that is?


PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
Isn't the Sigma SA and Pentax PK identical?

Mechanically that is?


The two mounts are really quite similar, with the PK being just a bit smaller. When you mount a PK lens onto a Sigma camera body having a Sigma SA mount, the lens moves about just a little bit. However, it still can be used. I'm talking about MF lenses, of course.

It's important, though, when wanting to use PK lenses on a Sigma camera body with SA mount, first to remove certain protrusions which might be part of the PK mount. Otherwise, serious damage can be done to the Sigma camera body and guts.