Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1965 Alu Jupiter-9: Strange finish Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: 1965 Alu Jupiter-9: Strange finish Question Reply with quote

I recently bought this 1965 Alu Jupiter-9. I don't have it yet, so please excuse the dealer photo here. What's the deal with the yellow cast to the body of this lens? It seems normal on the mount and front barrel. It looks to me like some kind of lacquer that has yellowed. I'm not sure if I would like that if that's the case. The only thing similar I've been able to find is this picture of a J9 from a RioRico post from last year. (I hope you don't mind me recycling this Rio!) Any ideas on this experts?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Alu Jupiter-9: Strange finish Question Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
I recently bought this 1965 Alu Jupiter-9. I don't have it yet, so please excuse the dealer photo here. What's the deal with the yellow cast to the body of this lens? It seems normal on the mount and front barrel. It looks to me like some kind of lacquer that has yellowed. I'm not sure if I would like that if that's the case. The only thing similar I've been able to find is this picture of a J9 from a RioRico post from last year. (I hope you don't mind me recycling this Rio!) Any ideas on this experts?

I used to have one. These yellow lacquer come off very easily. Not sure if every lenses does the same.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the laquer, on the pic of the lens on the Pentax it isn't even so looks like the laquer has worn off towards the rear where fingers would have been to focus and there it is more silver so I think you're right, strange laquer.

If it wasn't for that, I'd have guessed that it was made of anodized brass and the anodizing on the yellow parts was thin so the underlying yellow colour of the brass showed through.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. can you show us some sample shots with your J-9 please?

I'm interested in buying one of these so like to see more samples.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is actually the lacquer, at the time anodizing was not easily and cheaply done in the Soviet Union.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, can you imagine getting a lacquer flake on your digital sensor? I'm not sure wiping it down with lacquer-thinner is a good option either. Well at least it looks like it's kept the lens pristine. Thanks for info.

I will post samples when I get it iangreenhalgh1!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
P.S. can you show us some sample shots with your J-9 please?

I'm interested in buying one of these so like to see more samples.

I don't have much photos take with it. Here is one at full open(not quiet sure) with 350D. You should find more samples in other thread.

Jeff Zen wrote:
Ugh, can you imagine getting a lacquer flake on your digital sensor? I'm not sure wiping it down with lacquer-thinner is a good option either.
Well at least it looks like it's kept the lens pristine.

I can rip them off with my finger.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Jeff, it's a nice lens! Personally I own a black version which I really should use more often. The yellowish color should be easely removed with a cloth wetted in petrol or lighterfluid. At least that worked fine with my Sovjet- and East-German alu-lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogie wrote:
Congrats Jeff, it's a nice lens! Personally I own a black version which I really should use more often. The yellowish color should be easely removed with a cloth wetted in petrol or lighterfluid. At least that worked fine with my Sovjet- and East-German alu-lenses.

Thank you Bogie.

When you removed the laquer did it remove the paint in the fstops, distance scale, etc.?

How should one care for an old Alu lens? Any do's or don'ts?

Last edited by Jeff Zen on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd be tempted to go for 99% ISo alcohol as a solvent because it leaves no residue.

Jeff, look forward to the samples, enjoy the lens!

Thanks for the sample Calvin, lovely saturated colours. I shall check out your thread.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I think I'd be tempted to go for 99% ISo alcohol as a solvent because it leaves no residue.

Jeff, look forward to the samples, enjoy the lens!

Thanks for the sample Calvin, lovely saturated colours. I shall check out your thread.

Check this thread.
http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-9-samples-alu-m39-version-t26305.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jeff Zen"]
Bogie wrote:
When you removed the laquer did it remove the paint in the fstops, distance scale, etc.?

Not to my experience.
Jeff Zen wrote:

How should one care for an old Alu lens? Any do's or don'ts?

After the first cleaning not much maintenance is nessery. By the way: here an example of a photo with my Jupiter-9 2/85 (50% crop).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from a colleague of this forum (Thanks Martin!) and I'm delighted with it.

Since I've got a Sony NEX-5 recently, I ordered a M42 adapter for it to test the Jupiter.

This is how looks in the cam:

Júpiter-9 seen by itself (mirror shot):

Some shots wide open (F2):

I still have to do further testing outside Wink but it's promising.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, that barrel looks familiar!

Why, it's identical to my Helios 44-2s, only difference is the colour and the engravings are different.

Those crafty commies!

It's a lovely lens though and looks lovely on the NEX, shame the adapter isn't also chrome metal.

Excellent pics BTW.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Jes, I don't know what to say? Very wonderful pictures....Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
Wow Jes, I don't know what to say? Very wonderful pictures....Jeff

Don't worry about the yellowish lacquer... Smile
It may be a real gem...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Why, it's identical to my Helios 44-2s, only difference is the colour and the engravings are different.

Those crafty commies!

It's a lovely lens though and looks lovely on the NEX, shame the adapter isn't also chrome metal.

Excellent pics BTW.

Thanks, incidentally I was looking for a black NEX-5... Wink
A pity the adpater is not silver, really.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Those crafty commies!

Excellent pics BTW.

Thanks, incidentally I was looking for a black NEX-5... Wink
A pity the adpater is not silver, really.

Regards.
Jes.

I quite like the finish on your camera actually.

I hope that manufacturers catch on to the taste for old cameras and start making modern digital equipment in more traditional finishings. I was holding one of my Zenit 3s today and was thinking 'this just feels so much nicer to hold than a modern plastic camera'. Actually, I'd love nothing more than a modern digital sensor inside a Zenit-3 body so I could use all that wonderful old M39 Russian glass on it. Now that would be the mother of all DIY projects - take the electronics of something with a good sensor like a Sigma DP-1 and put it in a Zenit 3 body. Hmm, I have a couple of broken Zenit 3s....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a guy a few years ago who was trying to perfect a digital sensor in a 35mm film cartridge which would clip into any old film camera. AFAIK it never took off.

Maybe technology (i.e. miniaturisation) has now advanced enough to revisit this idea?

HERE you go. Over 10 years ago Smile