Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9 Samples (Alu M39 version)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 9 Samples (Alu M39 version) Reply with quote

I got this today from user axer. Checking the back of the camera gave the impression that all images were quiet soft and I was disappointed. When I got them home and looked on the PC this was not the case. The lens is lower in contrast than more modern lenses which I suspect is due to lack of coatings. My other lenses in the FL are the Vivitar 35-85 & the Tamron 90. I'd say that this one isn't far behind either but is a stop faster. I did use a lens hood to avoid flare.

First 3 wide open, last 2 stopped down to F5.6 & F8 respectively.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good to me Very Happy Nice Buy!! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like your pictures. They show the character of the Jupiter-9.

I have an M42 version of the Jupiter-9 and it is one of my favorite lenses. Some of the photos that I have taken with the J-9 can only be described as Magical. I love it. Thanks for showing your pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99: All jupiters have some coating... the coating quality isn't high, but still better then none Smile btw. what model do you have? KMZ or LZOS? And does it have the red-P? Sorry for many questiones, I really love these old silver M39 Jupiters Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the LZOS version. There is no red P.

The coating is a pale pink colour.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems you have exactly the same version as I. I like this model very much, is significantly sharper wide open than black versions. It has slightly lower light transmition (seems the reason is the coating), but difference isn't significant Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
It seems you have exactly the same version as I. I like this model very much, is significantly sharper wide open than black versions. It has slightly lower light transmition (seems the reason is the coating), but difference isn't significant Smile

I have a transition model which is still M39 but already black. It has the same kind of coatings and the same build (unlike later lenses that were changed). It *is* sharper and has less CA wide open than my other J9, which is MC and built in the 2000's. However, if there's a source of light in the frame, it starts flaring badly and loses lots of contrast. In good light it's a very nice lens, especially for portraiture.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin this is a beautiful lens and you made excellent samples I love them all. Try for portraits especially good for young blond girls. One of the most respected portrait lens by me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the kmz version:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10403737@N03/3724492904/in/set-72157620096683050/

No red П marked, but I do have a few lenses with it, and the coating looks identical. Mine is super sharp wide open. Absolutely no PP. Strait out of the scanner, just re-sized.

I don't mean to hijack the thread martin, so please just tell me if you don't want this picture here.

~Marc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will see most of it's use on my 3m. I'll give it a go on some models as I found the Helios 44-2 a cracking lens for modeling photography.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 9 Samples (Alu M39 version) Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Checking the back of the camera gave the impression that all images were quiet soft and I was disappointed. When I got them home and looked on the PC this was not the case. The lens is lower in contrast than more modern lenses which I suspect is due to lack of coatings.

That is my impression also, rather low contrast but picks up midrange tonal graduations well and gives lots to play with in RAW developing ....

martinsmith99 wrote:

I did use a lens hood to avoid flare.

... but very susceptible to flare and blows out harsh highlights. Used on overcast days and judging by histograms rather than the back of camera (unless you have picture controls and can notch up contrast and saturation for the JPEG previews) it gives workable results for the price.

I need to get a good hood for mine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and mine is black, M42, LZOS with the knurled focus ring.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering this lens, in m39 mount, as a portraiture option for my m4/3 system, and it would be great if we could try to contrast and compare different versions. As far as I know there are at least three rangefinder versions af this lens, two silver (the smaller called "export edition") and one black. As far as I know m39 version are rewarded as better performer than m42 one, BUT many people think that buy such a lens is somewhat a lottery! It would be great if our collective knowledge could help us finding some clarity about this wonderful and magic lens!
Come on and share your experiences!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda Rella: The first pictured lens isn't rangefinder lens, but SLR model. Exactly the version we are talking about Smile

Rangefinder models used on DSLR allow only close-up focusing.

screw-mount models of Jupiter-9:

• Zorki (M39) - rangefinder
    • model KMZ, silver: "F=8,5CM", "Π", e.g. 1956
    • model LZOS silver: "F=8,5CM", "Π", eg. 1960
    • model LZOS(?), black

• Zenit (M39) - SLR
    • model KMZ, silver: "F=8,5CM", "Π", e.g. 1960
    • model LZOS, silver, "2/85", e.g. 1965
    • model LZOS, black

• Zenit (M42) - SLR
    • model LZOS, black (wavy focusing ring): např. 1973
    • model LZOS black (knurled focusing ring, serial number is located on lens body): e.g. 1987
    • model LZOS, black + MC (knurled focusing ring, serial number is located on lens body): e.g. 1987

I added the M39 black model mentioned by aoleg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice photos from a lovely lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Linda Rella: The first pictured lens isn't rangefinder lens, but SLR model. Exactly the version we are talking about Smile

ops! Many thanks!

Well, which version is recommended among the m39 ones (expecially considering to use it on a m4/3 system) ?

regards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On m4/3 you can use both RF and SLR. Take any M39 model (I'd prefer silver one) which you can find in good condition and for good price.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Take any M39 model (I'd prefer silver one) which you can find in good condition and for good price.

(BTW m39 versions should be smaller and lighter, better fitting on a m4/3)

many thanks! your advice is so precious!

As far as I can see in the bay, at the moment black version can be found at a good price and in better condition than the silver one (what about this NOS one from 1975?)
Or should I look for a particular year of production or s/n ?

Your preference for the silver one is based on optical performances or on availability and price?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optical quality. Quality control in 196x was much better. There is a lot of lemon copies among the later models.

Check the sharpness difference - silver on the left, black on the right (both at f/2):

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

And mine looks exactly like that, except black.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc - Nice cat picture and very sharp! Yes, fine to add here as it's on-topic.

After seeing the images again I'm going to look for the rangefinder version for my FED.

Linda - What are you using the lens for mainly? There are a number of other good lenses in this focal length that can be recommended. And welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Optical quality. Quality control in 196x was much better. There is a lot of lemon copies among the later models.

Check the sharpness difference - silver on the left, black on the right (both at f/2):

The sharpness is good on the older one, but the contrast is fantastic.

I just use a cheap 49mm screw in rubber hood which works great.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

...what an incredible difference.... two completely different lenses!
God bless your competence: I'm going to go for the silver one, from the 60's, following you appreciated advice!

Quote:
Linda - What are you using the lens for mainly? There are a number of other good lenses in this focal length that can be recommended. And welcome to the forum!

Oh, well, first of all, many thanks!

And then, I'm considering this lens as a portrait option for m4/3!

Regards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fair to say, that you can find good black copy, too, but it's more risky Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

Interestingly, I get EXACTLY the same results with my pair of J9's - up to the greenish color cast on the older lens! I have an early black M39 J9 (single-coated, of course) made in 1969, and a new MC M42 version made in 2002.