Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Production resumed Helios 40-2, Zenitar, TeleZenitar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, any test photos?

How is the new lens compared to the old one?

Is it worth buying, or should we just wait for the prices on ebay to drop due to competition during the next year?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
So it's still not a great lens and costs 6x what it did when I 1st joined this forum. I thought it was overpriced then, but now it's just silly. I could buy a better modern lens for less.

Lens has never been a great, its value on the film - at all doubtful.
But he certainly has a soul and horizma - for it and love it Smile
I love this lens Smile
For serious work, this lens is not suitable, it's true. lens interesting only at fully open aperture.
This is a lens for the soul, as lensbaby.
This is a freak among normal lenses. Of course the same Samyang in times "correct" but it's boring.
On the box and in the manual (see the text in red boxes) says that this lens is made on technical parameters established in 1986, in 1989 and in 1992 - so the lens does not look better than its predecessors.
It should be exactly the same.

ТУ 3-3.1091-86 - valid from 1987
ТУ 3-3.2080-89 - valid from 1989
ТУ 3-3.2344-92 - valid from 1992

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fotokino - I agree with what you say and I have quite a few Russian lenses that have similar qualities; its just the price that makes this lens unattractive to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
@fotokino - I agree with what you say and I have quite a few Russian lenses that have similar qualities; its just the price that makes this lens unattractive to me.

Oh yes, the price of which wring resellers - is crazy.
You can see what's going on Russian flea markets.

At the moment the exchange rate is:
1 $ = 31.20 RUB
1 е = 40.13 RUB
1 GBP = 49.95 RUB

1. http://www.avito.ru/catalog/all-0/moskva-637640?name=%D0%B3%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BE%D1%81+40-2
2. http://molotok.ru/listing.php/search?sg=0&string=%D0%B3%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BE%D1%81+40-2
3. http://slando.ru/list/?q=%D0%B3%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BE%D1%81+40-2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotkino wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
So it's still not a great lens and costs 6x what it did when I 1st joined this forum. I thought it was overpriced then, but now it's just silly. I could buy a better modern lens for less.

Lens has never been a great, its value on the film - at all doubtful.
But he certainly has a soul and horizma - for it and love it Smile
I love this lens Smile
For serious work, this lens is not suitable, it's true. lens interesting only at fully open aperture.
This is a lens for the soul, as lensbaby.
This is a freak among normal lenses. Of course the same Samyang in times "correct" but it's boring.

I think price for newly produced lens is quite low. This is Hall Of Fame member lens. It has darn thick glass with special characteristics, and made from tank tough materials. And despite its robustness it also has soul as nicely said by Fotkino.

Those guys at Zenit did market it poorly for sure. These strange rumours rose suspicion more then anticipation. Instead they should made proper presentation and offer on this forum and others too. They should find reliable selling person on Ebay to sell exclusively not some chap with feedback of 30.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test photos + 100% center/near the center crops
Canon 5D mkII
Av
f:1.5
Сloudy
Sharpness: +3
Contrast: 0
WB: auto
Exposure correction: the first frame 0, the remaining -1
RAW to Jpeg: Canon DPP

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/201210/big_4233__MG_9923_Origin_1.jpg]
[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Not so sharp at f1.5.
While you are on it, can you post some photos with different distances? 3m, 5m, 6m, 7m, 20m, infinity?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Not so sharp at f1.5.
While you are on it, can you post some photos with different distances? 3m, 5m, 6m, 7m, 20m, infinity?

Rainy, I hope tomorrow the weather will be better.
Plan to test both my lens in the same conditions.

#1 #2 - approx 1 meter
#3 - approx 2 meters
#4 #5 approx 1,5
#6 - approx 2 meters
#7 #9 approx 1,5 meters
#8 - at min distance - 38cm

This lens has a very tight focus ring.
Approaching the minimum focusing distance, the lens has to get out of the adapter, had to hold on tight.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotkino, thank you for your testing and your translations and such!

Are this test photos without a lens shade / hood?
I suppose with a long hood or probably hand contrast would be higher?

I have the old chrome Helios 40, will not buy the new one. But I am very fascinated about an old well known lens manufacturer that seem to want to "restart" its production. Even more than this Helios 40 lens I am interested what all will come...
Have seen nice things on theri Photokina booth.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotkino wrote:

This lens has a very tight focus ring.
Approaching the minimum focusing distance, the lens has to get out of the adapter, had to hold on tight.

+1. Yes, it's what frequently happened when I use my old Helios 40-2.
I come up with a solution, to pinch the lens barrel with my thumb & forefinger and the do the focusing using my middle finger.

Fotkino, could you do some shots for flare test? With the sun is just outside the frame.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
fotkino, thank you for your testing and your translations and such!

Are this test photos without a lens shade / hood?
I suppose with a long hood or probably hand contrast would be higher?

You're right, photo taken without the lens hood. With the hood is likely to be exactly as you say.
I looked that's an option

http://samyang.ru/aksessuary/blendy/blenda_dlya_obektiva_samyang_500_8_preset/

but it may be necessary to cut it short Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nixland"]
fotkino wrote:

Fotkino, could you do some shots for flare test? With the sun is just outside the frame.

OK. I already typed a list of tests that need to be done Smile
Now the sun behind the clouds, as soon as possible - I'll do it.

- Test with different distances
- Flare test

...what else? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nixland"]
fotkino wrote:

Hooray! The sun! Smile

I caught the sunbeams, in the picture the best results that I got. When the sun is not in line of sight of the lens - is the expected loss of contrast. When the sun is in the frame - depending on the angle. From a small flare up of the rainbow Smile
If we compare with a silver version of the lens - excellent protected from flare I think.

(Full frame and some сrops to see the chromatic aberration)

But the flare has its charm Smile And in this version of the lens that I will miss...
This photo was taken specifically with flare on the old silver Helios 40 with violet-blue coating:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The performance and flare look identical to my experience with copies from the 70s and 80s, therefore I suspect that
the coating has not been improved.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!

Thank you for doing the tests...

But now I would like to ask for another set of tests, more "purpose wise" Wink

Can you please shoot some portraits with the lens, maybe over the weekend?
Also, can you do it with comparison to the old chrome \ silver \ white version that you own, please?

That would be very interesting!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The performance and flare look identical to my experience with copies from the 70s and 80s, therefore I suspect that
the coating has not been improved.

I have a good news for you Smile
(translation - Google)

1. http://zenit-foto.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=610&Itemid=104
"JSC "Krasnogorsk Plant. SA Zvereva" invites legal persons and individual entrepreneurs to participate in an open one stage tender without preliminary qualification for the right to:
- Agreement for the supply of five axis machining center with a set of related activities for the needs of the JSC "Krasnogorsk Plant. SA Zvereva "(Lot number 14)."

2. http://zenit-foto.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=611&Itemid=104
"JSC "Krasnogorsk Plant. SA Zvereva" invites legal persons and individual entrepreneurs to participate in an open one stage tender without preliminary qualification for the right to:
- Agreement for the supply of high-precision turning center (turning machine) with a set of related activities for the needs of the Open JSC "Krasnogorsk Plant. SA Zvereva "(Lot number 12).

Perhaps we'll soon see something interesting from KMZ Smile
A breakthrough in technology and complete victory over samyang Smile
Or ... new T-34 tank with a thick lens ... who knows!? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha_M wrote:

Can you please shoot some portraits with the lens, maybe over the weekend?
Also, can you do it with comparison to the old chrome \ silver \ white version that you own, please?

That would be very interesting!

OK, I'll try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fotkino"]
nixland wrote:
fotkino wrote:

Hooray! The sun! Smile

I caught the sunbeams, in the picture the best results that I got. When the sun is not in line of sight of the lens - is the expected loss of contrast. When the sun is in the frame - depending on the angle. From a small flare up of the rainbow Smile
If we compare with a silver version of the lens - excellent protected from flare I think.

Thank you for doing the test & sharing the test photos. I really appreciate it.

Based on your test photos, I think it's like what Orio said that the coating is the same with the old one.

Below is my recent shot with my 40-2.

Top : against evening sun with 3rd party metal hood attached

Bottom : under the tent, sun from right side .... when there's no strong light from the front, the 40-2 rocks! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this listing on ebay...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
Just came across this listing on ebay...

Interesting! Let's wait for the final price Smile I think finally 600$ will look much interesting than it Wink
Anyway, I got no new lenses right now Sad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Ebay listing from rus_camera, BIN for US $1,200!

Click here to see on Ebay

Here's what he says in the listing. Obviously I have no idea if it's true but I'll post it for your education/amusement -

Quote:

I asked my friend-photographer to compare new and old Helios.
In new Helios there is no tripod mount ring.
The focusing ring differs. Other coating of lenses.

In the pictures we didn't notice essential differences.
Probably, it occurred because factory standards at a new and old lens same.
There is informal information. Ostensibly the first party of lenses was made from old lenses , made in the eighties.

On old lenses put a new coating. If it is the truth, then it is clear why in sale less than 50 pieces of lenses arrived. The stock of old lenses probably ended. There is information that the new party will be already from new lenses. And factory price will be above. Prime cost price of a new lens will be higher than $600. And what will be selling price knows nobody. Lenses from the first party already became a big rarity. We managed to buy three lenses at the price of several times above the declared. You could see that they aren't present on sale. The plant stopped productions of them . Otherwise all ebay would be filled up new Helios.

EDIT - if this info is true then congratulations to fotkino, your new Helios is a rare and valuable item. Shocked Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

And just think that 2 weeks ago you could buy that in Moscow for 200$ (the website even said that in the shop they had 20% off all prices as a sale act due to the arrival of the new lenses...) .

It would be really funny to see people buying the "new" ones 2-4 times (or even more!) the price than what you will have to pay for an old, chrome, Helios-40 (M39), even with red "n" on it.
The 400$-500$ they are asking for the "silver \ white" versions doesn't sound that out there now, eh? Wink

Anyway, I think that when the really new (although still using 1989 standards...) with the modern canon \ nikon mounts will hit the market, prices fro the M42 versions will drop... I hope, at least, that they do; would really like to own an early "0\00\000" chrome Helios-40! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha_M wrote:
(the website even said that in the shop they had 20% off all prices as a sale act due to the arrival of the new lenses...) .

That's not correct. They wrote 20% off all prices on site, but in real life there was no discount on Helios 40-2.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Another Ebay listing from rus_camera, BIN for US $1,200!

Click here to see on Ebay

$1200 !!!?? .... Mamma mia ... Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks rus_camera is price gouging before the lens becomes more widely available, but hey, I could be wrong.