Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meopta Meostigmat 1.4/70 on FF and NEX via VNEX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Meopta Meostigmat 1.4/70 on FF and NEX via VNEX Reply with quote

Produced by MEOPTA, a czech optical manufacturer, the Meostigmat 1.4/70mm is an impressiv projection lens with a 6/4 optical scheme.

Like all the projection lenses i know, the Meostigmat doesnt have an aperture. The lens tube is made of aluminium... and did work in a Meopta Club16 cine projector.

Here is the lens, a friend of mine introduced in my forum..

He did use the original holder from the projector to bring the lens to the 5D MKII.

The main Problem for using a projector lens is everytime the mechanical compatibility and to get a fine possibility to focus such a lens.

So i did my own solution for the Sony NEX and new Sony A7's..

But first thing to decide, if it makes sense to bring such a projector lens to a FF or NEX cam? So everything starts with its image quality.. so i will show first some of the pictures taken with that lens..

So i think, this lens is worth doing a lot of work for a solution to bring it to a modern cam..

As seen in first picture, the lens holder from the projector was simply used and connected with a M42 to EF adaptor. Focussing only between 1-3 meters by footstepping.. or push /pull the lens in his holder.

So i decided to change some things to make better focus work .. now it works from infinity to close up on Sony NEX and Sony A7's Very Happy

Ok, some more 5D MKII pictures with that Meostigmat..

a bit off "swirly bokeh" Very Happy

beautiful cateyes..

Now some last pictures on Sony NEX 7..

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:13 am; edited 14 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Great pictures! If you ever want to sell it, do let me know

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very impressive!
The horse portrait killed me!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice indeed, well worth the effort!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job

dreamy lens

+3

Surprised

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments,

i think, this lens is a great tool for creativity.. between all the Leica and Canon FD Lenses, this heavy projector beast delivers very usefull effects. Not that i would use the lens very often.. but for special situations the lens can give the little "extra" in images, that we all are looking for.

On Fullframe sensor, the edges are really soft, but the center sharpness is nice, the bokeh very smooth..

Using the lens on the NEX 7, gives the "sweet spot" of the lens.. but less catseyes..

And i love catseyes.. Very Happy

So i decided to go this way in conversion.. using the lens on 5D if i want lots of beautiful catseyes.. and on the NEX 7 to get a lens with very pleasant Bokeh.. but rounder circle of confusion.

I experimented with hole-apertures between element tubes, but the handling is crazy. Best way is to use the lens fully open and enjoy the effects and smoothness.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, impressive! I am fond of projector lenses too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a Zeiss Ikon Orikar 3,2/150 mm in a box of junk at the camera fair the other day, I paid a Pound for it as it looked nice.

http://auction-team.de/new_highlights/2010_09/ph/033.html

It's out of one of these beauties. But it's going on my NEX, the stunning pictures in this post have inspired me. I just love the effect.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
Awesome! Great pictures! If you ever want to sell it, do let me know

Hi Hari,

of course... because a lot of people did ask for such a lens conversion, i did realize this conversion with a lot of 10 Meoptas 1.4/70mm... ( only 5 pcs. are left from 10 pieces)

For this 10 pcs. i decided to produce a special part for the Meoptas to bring this lens to a VNEX/VµFT System...

This part was made on a CNC lathe and do have a 42mm male threat for use on M42 Adapters, a female thread of M39 for the use on VNEX and VµFT

For those of you who dont know the VNEX oder VµFT System... here are two links with further informations about it.

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-vnex-system-t54300.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-vft-system-vnex-system-adapted-for-micro-4-3-format-t64514.html

With this part and shorten the lens body to the correkt dimension, its possible to use the Meopta on Sony NEX and Sony E-Mount of the newly introduced A7 cam.

To have accurate focus from infinty to a close up distance of about 35-40mm its the best to use an VNEX oder VµFT System..

from left to right the abilitys are shown...

1. Canon EOS M42 adaptor
2. connected via VNEX to (NEX and Sony A7 cams)
3. connected via VµFT for µFT-Systems (or Fuji X or EOS-M...)

Here are some further samples, taken on Sony A7...

And this is how the lens looks on Sony A7... with a VNEX KB V1.0

Via VNEX KB or VNEX uni the converted Meostigmat lens will work from infinity to closeup.

If someone is interested in this converted lens... let me know. Price for a converted lens is 100 Euro + shipping to your country.

Attention: Its neccessary to have a VNEX or VµFT Focus-System for the use of that lens !!!

If you havent got a VNEX, i can offer a Meopta lens specialized Version of the VNEX, which will fit only to this Meopta lens and coming without any tools like the connectors, distance tube etc.. and is only useable with this lens (higher register distance) for NEX and A7 cams.

The price for such a combination (lens and specialized VNEX for this Meopta) would be 150 Euro + Shipping to your country.

Kindly Regards

Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:50 am; edited 7 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done Henry! Maybe you would rather want to place an ad into the "FOR SALE" section?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos are amazing. One of the best projection lenses imho - one could name it Cyclop's little sister Wink . Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a magnificent piece of engineering, great stuff! I really like the rendering too Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: meopta Reply with quote

..sorry to post this here and pollute the thread..pm sent for a meopta lens with vnex, but my pm is stuck in the outbox, not in the sentbox..thx, erik, vienna , austria..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were saying there are some left(70 1.4), please tell me price and I want it Smile.

PS it will be great to have one of these when the weather is cloudy, it will be awesome for portraits!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: meopta Reply with quote

psy501 wrote:
..sorry to post this here and pollute the thread..pm sent for a meopta lens with vnex, but my pm is stuck in the outbox, not in the sentbox..thx, erik, vienna , austria..

It sits in the outbox UNTIL IT IS READ, then it is in the SENTBOX. Not to worry...

You have PM.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..thx a lot..got it..and understand the boxes better now.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just one question, is this lens mount m42 or something other?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti88 wrote:
I have just one question, is this lens mount is m42 or something other?

Hi,

this modified lens has a M42 screw thread, but it isn't a M42 lens.

you can screw the lens into a M42 Canon Adapter for example, but it will work only for close up work up to 1-2 meter without further modification on lens barrel.

To get a near infinity focus on a Canon DSLR you need a special version which has smaller diameter on the end of the tube, shorten the M42 end of the lens by 3mm and use a modified M42 > Canon Adaptor.

If you want one of the lenses with this modification, let me know...

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, quite nice images shown in Henry's forum!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work Henry and samples are excellent too. Meopta projector lenses was big surprise to me, even if Czech cameras had excellent reputation here. I have 55mm f1.2 and 100mm f1.7 from Meopta, 100mm is outstanding, 55mm wait for test.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
... Meopta projector lenses was big surprise to me..

Hi Attila,

a surprise not only for you... for me to... today i did a lot of Portrait shots during a venezian carnival session in Hamburg with the Meostigmat on the new Sony A7...

You clearly need post processing, because its a effect lens and not as sharp as normal "lenses" but is absolutely great to isolate the model from the crowded situation in such events in the streets

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:52 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results you got Henry!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it cropped or the lens covers full frame completely?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It covers fullframe