Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meopta Meostigmat 1.4/70 on FF and NEX via VNEX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l shall have to take another look at mine, but I think there is only about 3mm that can be removed from the back of my copy, which would still be far rom infinity.

As dan says, to get the rear inside the mount would require lathe work as it's quite a bit wider than the opening in the mount.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as I wrote not easy adaption, but machining.
Either with lathe, or mill - or with a lot of patience, knowledge and hand tools.
I have used my lathe - but without thread cutting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry,
Maybe I'm confused, probably so.
I hope I will still be able to use the modified shortened Meostigmat with my Fuji XF mount VNEX system also.
Yes?

Ed

hinnerker wrote:
One piece of this helicoid is on the way to our User "buggz" ...
he plans to use it with a shorten Meostigmat on his Canon 5D MKII...

Hope he will report after his unit arrives.

Regards
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggz wrote:
Hi Henry,
I hope I will still be able to use the modified shortened Meostigmat with my Fuji XF mount VNEX system also.
Yes?

Ed

Hi Ed,

yes, you can use the Meostigmat

1. on your Canon EOS 5D MKII
2. on your Fuji X cam via VNEX uni

After getting your parcel, you will find the Meostigmat 1.4/70mm mounted on the new velvet helicoid ready to work on EOS 5D MKII !
Mount this unit as is on your EOS and enjoy !

On the delivered VNEX uni with Fuji X mount you will find the unit already prepared with the neccessary tools to use the Meopta on your Fuji as well.

Therefore the Meostigmat 1.4/70mm do have on the rear of the body a special manufatured M39 thread. So if you want to use it on Fuji cam, simply screw out the Meostigmat from the Velvet Helicoid for the 5D MKII and screw it on the already prepared VNEX uni... if you like... all is possible !

This thread pitch inside the mount is M39 for connecting the lens to the VNEX uni to Fuji XF

You will understand the way how to connect the lens to each of your cams very fast... its really simple and easy to understand.

And if you dont want to change all the time between the new Velvethelicoid and the VNEX, simply you are free to use an EOS EF to Fuji X adapter...

This is possible because your Meostigmat 1.4/70mm is now optimized for use on EOS bodys with full infinity focus to close up distance at about 40cm !!

Another way would be, to change the 52mm reverse ring on the velvet helicoid to a 52mm > Fuji X reverse ring... you have all possibilities by hand.

For example .. if you have the VNEX uni prepard with an enlarger lens and would also like to take the premounted Meostigmat 1.4/70mm on the velvet helicoid with you.. simply take an EOS EF to Fuji Adapter... and enjoy the same way, as on the Canon 5D MKII without remounting the VNEX...

cheers,
Henry...

your parcel is on the way since yesterday...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT!
This is so going to rock!
Thank you sir!
Can you tell I'm excited?
*8^)

hinnerker wrote:
buggz wrote:
Hi Henry,
Yes?

Ed

Hi Ed,

2. on your Fuji X cam via VNEX uni

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggz wrote:
GREAT!
This is so going to rock!
Thank you sir!
Can you tell I'm excited?
*8^)

hinnerker wrote:
buggz wrote:
Hi Henry,
Yes?

Ed

Hi Ed,

2. on your Fuji X cam via VNEX uni or an EOS to Fuji X Adapter

Hi Ed,

and there is another good news for your Fuji - X cam...

you are now able to use your Canon modified Meostigmat 1.4/70mm with an aperture by simply use this adaptor...

here shown for my NEX 7 cam...

This is a link to the same thing with Fuji X mount...
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Canon-EOS-EF-Objektivadapter-Adapter-mit-Blende-an-Fujifilm-X-Mount-X-Pro1-X-E1-/290824320708?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objetivanschl%C3%BCsse_Adapter&hash=item43b67af6c4

Here are some quick samples with such an adaptor with integrated aperture for my Sony NEX 7 (or Alpha 7 in Crop-Mode)...

Close up @f1.4...

Close up @ f8-11...

Another comparison shot... (left 1. open, right 2. f8-11)

And a 100% crop of an infinity shot..

No need to tell, what was open and stopped down... Very Happy

Kindly regards
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for posting the samples with aperture. I often wondered about these adapters with aperture, if they wouldn't cause vignetting as not placed at optical centre of lens. Apparently not, which is good to know. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Many thanks for posting the samples with aperture. I often wondered about these adapters with aperture, if they wouldn't cause vignetting as not placed at optical centre of lens. Apparently not, which is good to know. Smile

Vignetting is clearly visible on fullframe cams.. not on the APS-C formats like Fuji, NEX but for users with such cams, this is a very good thing to know.

But to use such an adaptor with an aperture, you must shorten the lens about some cm to get space to establish him between cam and lens-rest.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Most samples I've seen from adapters with apertures vignette more than increase DOF, even on APS-C, this actually looks usable for APS-C.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Most samples I've seen from adapters with apertures vignette more than increase DOF, even on APS-C, this actually looks usable for APS-C.

This is vignetting on the nearly closed aperture at infinity point on NEX 7... must be f22 or f32... adapter has no engraved values

That is a very small amount of vignetting... nobody would use this projection lens at infinity with such a high value... Very Happy

So IMHO this works perfect for the modified Meostigmat on APS-C...

Crop of center... the house in the background is about 1km away from my position during taking the shot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Meostigmat 1.4/70 has baffle (aperture) by default. If bottom protection removed, rear element system is 39.7mm wide! IMHO at lest F1.2 optical design.
The removing isn't easy though since one part is holding all rear elements.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now the Meostigmat 1.4/70mm works on Nikon DSLR systems as well with the shown modification and the velvet helicoid...
reaches infinity without problems.. and will also work on any other DSLR...

Nikon has the smallest bajonett-hole from all DSLR cams i know ( about 40.9mm) so the modification and the velvethelicoid will work on all DSLR cams like Sony Alpha DLSR/DSLT, Pentax DSLR, Nikon DSLR and Canon EOS.

So this modification will free the rearlens from his mechanical aperture limit of 1.4 and - as Pancolart correctly wrote - has now the new speed of f1.2. The rearlens is 39.7, but you need a flange at the end of the Tube for limiting the rear-lens against separating from the tube, so the maximum reachable diameter of the visible part of the rearlens is only 39.5mm !!

This is the max intrusion, the rear lens has after modification in a Nikon DSLR...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up my modified Meopta Meostigmat 70/1.4 and VNEX Uni kit today.
Can't wait to try this out.

Thanks Henry!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggz wrote:
Picked up my modified Meopta Meostigmat 70/1.4 and VNEX Uni kit today.
Can't wait to try this out.

Thanks Henry!

Glad to hear that everything arrived well.

But i have to relativate my post about using an adapter with a build in aperture. Doesnt work for your Meostigmat at infinity, because your Meostigmat has the "Tail" with the M39 thread for the VNEX uni coupling... sorry but this intrudes a little to deep into this kind of adapter with build-in aperture to reach full infinity... please use a simple EOS to Fuji X mount adaptor or the VNEX uni solution.

But nevertheless, enjoy your new toys.. Very Happy

Regards
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone found a cover that fits the front?
I have a slip on plastic cover for my Sinar Sinaron S 180/5.6 MC that is pretty tight, so, I'm guessing there could be something similar for the Meopta Meostigmat 70/1.4?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggz wrote:
Has anyone found a cover that fits the front?
I have a slip on plastic cover for my Sinar Sinaron S 180/5.6 MC that is pretty tight, so, I'm guessing there could be something similar for the Meopta Meostigmat 70/1.4?

Take a 55mm "Snap in" cover...

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, after receiving a 52mm reverse ring for Sony A-Mount...

Meostigmat 1.4/70mm on Sony A700...

This means, with the converted Meostigmat and the focusing aid its possible to use it on any conventional DSLR cam... by simply change to the DSLR mount you like
(Nikon D1, Pentax istDS, Canon 5D MKII)

You will get full infinity focus down to about 30cm...
And the lens looks like a "real lens" on this cams Very Happy

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very clever Henry!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
very clever Henry!

Thanks Klaus...

The Nikon and Pentax were the "trouble makers" during the development. It all depends on the diameter of the DSLR mounts and the reverse rings available on the market.

Havent found usable reverse rings with a ~2mm plate for the Pentax, only 3.6mm... so this means, the conversion for Pentax requires more attention and some mm differences in register distance, compaired to Nikon to equal the differences of these rings.

I never would have thought that at the start of this new project..

But now its finished and i am happy to find a good solution for the Meostigmats...

So you can use the velvet helicoid on a EVIL cam with an original 1.4/70mm Meostigmat on SONY, FUJI, OLYMPUS/PANASONIC µFT, and whatever has a register distance at about 18 to 20mm ...

With small modifications the user can do it by hisself, the other Meostigmats like 1.3/35mm or 1/50mm can simply be modified to use them on Evil cams.

In addition if someone has a DSLR he can use the helicoid with the only fullframe covered lens, the 1.4/70mm, so he will get an Helios 40 -clone lens if he can find one for a good price on an old Meoclub 16k projector.

Thanks for your positiv comment.

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing work, Henry congrats!!! Do you have experience with 55mm f1.2 Meopta ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Amazing work, Henry congrats!!! Do you have experience with 55mm f1.2 Meopta ?

Hi Attila,

unfortunately not, because in germany only 1.3/35, 1/50, 1.4/70mm are the most common offered lenses.
Is this one for 16mm also or for greater format?

Do you have informations for me? Or maybe a lens... Very Happy

Thanks
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you achieve infinity on the Sony DSLR? My copy of the 1.4/70 wouldn't get anywhere near infinity and the rear element was only 5mm from the end of the tube so shortening was impossible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
How did you achieve infinity on the Sony DSLR? My copy of the 1.4/70 wouldn't get anywhere near infinity and the rear element was only 5mm from the end of the tube so shortening was impossible.

This is a conversion... what means, you have to get the right register distance as well as the corresponding tube length and bring that to the correct diameter of the cam- mount of the cam you want to use it on.

After measuring you have to research whats going on in the lens body...

The Meostigmat 1.4/70mm is divided into 2 parts.. the front elements are in the main alloy body, and the blacked rear group of lenses is screwed into the main alloy.

So you have to separate both parts and mill them down to the necessary diameter and lenghts. If you further know, that the rear-lens diameter is 39.7mm the rest in understanding is easy.
Separate the two parts and look, whats necessary to bring the black rear lens group to fit his diameter to the diameter of the reverse ring minus 1,5mm. You can find this out by a calipher.. Very Happy

All this can be done best with a lathe... as ZoneV already said.

But you have to shorten the alloy body and the black part with the rear lenses both and not only the black rear part... and bring them together after machining with some new locking threads or simply fix both parts (front and rear) with 3 hexagonal screws in a 120 ° Angle.

This is simple because both tubes do have corresponding conical mechanical limiters... so the parts will fit and self-centering on the right position and distances to the next lens the in front of them without further needs.

If you possiby cant unscrew the black rear part by hand, take a tong as an aid for that, because sometimes it isnt easy to manage this by hand, depending on the age of the lens-Body and the state of corossion.

Regards
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed info. Sadly I don't have the skills nor equipment for such work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of chilly this AM.
Never fails, get a new lens, or something, weather doesn't cooperate.
I got this one before the winds came back "online".
At least the wind wasn't blowing like yesterday.
I LOVE the velvet helicoil, works GREAT!

Canon 5DMkII and modified Meopta Meostigmat 70/1.4:

sleeping bumble bee