Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I shaved my 5D's mirror
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: I shaved my 5D's mirror Reply with quote

I found the nerve to do it. Actually it was a piece of cake!
So much that I now call myself stupid for not having done it before.
It worked a treat, and the finished work looks MUCH better than the photo samples I saw on the net, and now I can mount ALL my lenses on the 5D!!! Very Happy

yippie-ya-yey!

-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean you do it yourself Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
you mean you do it yourself Shocked

Yes!! Very Happy
It's very easy. If one like me (totally helpless with hand works) could do it, everybody can.

-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool Cool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where's the pictorial of your try?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
So where's the pictorial of your try?

I didn't have the time to make a photo reportage. But it's really simple.
You need:

- some fine sandpaper
- some plastic sheet, best if thick (that used for storing food in freezers was good for me)
- a little masking tape
- scissors
- an air blower

So you cut a square sheet of plastic approx. 8-10 cm the side, fold it half and on the bent side, make a cut with scissors, long about half the width of the mirror. So when you unfold the plastic sheet, you end up with a cut slit in the centre, long like the width of mirror.
Take the 5D, manually raise mirror and insert the plastic sheet through the cut slit. Pull down the plastic sheet, so that the mirror surfaces enough to leave room for the masking tape.
Now, you cut two small pieces of masking tape, same lenght as mirror width. You take one and apply it part over the upper side of mirror, part over the plastic sheet. Do the same thing, with the lower part of mirror. Now the plastic sheet is secured around the mirror, and no space is left. The plastic sheet surrounds the mirror more or less like when you see surgery in movies, you have that sheet with a cut that leaves open the part where surgeon operates, now we have the same, a plastic sheet that covers everything except the top part of mirror, which we will operate. The plastic sheet makes a little concave around the mirror, due to the camera hole, this will collect the debris.
Now cut a piece of sanding paper, fold it until it's small enough and comfortable to hold, and begin to sandpaper the top of the mirror. This means both the actual mirror, and the plastic housing. If you use a fine sandpaper, which is recommended, you will obtain a very good looking result. You need some patience, no hurry, because you don't have to force too much on the mirror, else you may damage it. Go on sandpapering and every once in a while, rotate camera so you don't always sandpaper in the same direction. When some debris accumulate on the plastic sheet, blow it away with the pump.
Proceed like this, until you have erased about 1mm. You keep close to you, one lens that you know does not clear mirror. So when you think you are ready to make a try, blow away debris carefully, remove the plastic sheet and mount the lens. Should the mirror not clear yet, it means you need to work more, so cut another square piece of plastic sheet, and repeat the procedure above described.
When you test and finally you have positive result, you are over. Just make sure to always pump away debris during the work, and when you have finished, raise the mirror again with your finger and pump well inside the camera - the sensor whould not appear, it should be covered by camera curtain. Blow much around all spaces inside the camera hole, just for safety.
Voil? now enjoy Helios-44, or MIR-1V, or Hollywood Distagon, all focused to infinity on your 5D Very Happy

-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, you're the man!

Even if you say that it was easy, I think it was very brave.
Congratulations to your successful surgery!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Orio, you're the man!

Even if you say that it was easy, I think it was very brave.
Congratulations to your successful surgery!

I would say, "Orio you are a brave man!!!"

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two images of the modified 5D:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one; it's always good when something works out the way it should.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Nice one; it's always good when something works out the way it should.

I decided to do it my way. I was adviced to use rotary stone and file, but I didn't like the aesthetical result of the file work I could see on a web page. So I decided to go with a fine sandpaper and I am glad I did, the work looks much more professional this way, the little mirror scales that you see have gone away on the edge, are really very small, because here you are looking at a big enlargement compared to real life size.
In real life size and normal light, you almost don't notice the job.

-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I love this forum. You are all crazy. But in a good way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Orio.

You must have felt a big relief after finishing the job safely. Smile

I wish I had a 5D to shave its mirror (but I don't think I'd dare)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:
Congrats, Orio.
You must have felt a big relief after finishing the job safely. Smile

Thanks.
Not really, no relief. I was very determined and very sure about how to do it. I had no doubt it would turn out ok.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Orio !

This is a really nice job you've done, and now I'm more than tempted to do it too. Surprised

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Orio.. Nice Job.... now show some great results with new (newly adaptable) lenses...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stomach would have been turning over....GREAT job!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: I shaved my 5Ds mirror Reply with quote

Orio congratulations. It is very risky. i am new member so it is also new for me. Is it possible to use Pentax K mount lenses without modification i.e. aperture lug is not striking the mirror? secondly any difficulty in focusing of manual lenses "my aging eyes"?

Last edited by gill on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:53 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I shaved my 5Ds mirror Reply with quote

gill wrote:
Is it possible to use Pentax K mount lenses without modification i.e. aperture lug is not striking the mirror?

I don't know because I don't have Pentax K lenses. But I know that K to EOS adapters exist, so this means that the thing is possible, although I don't know if with all lenses or with some only.

gill wrote:
secondly any difficulty in focusing of manual lenses "my aging eyes"?

It depends on how good your eyes Smile and on the focusing screen also.
If you have big eyesight problem, I recommend the 5D Mark II because of the excellent liveview feature (which by the way allows for mounting of most lenses without the need of shaving the mirror - with some precaution taken).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: I shaved my 5Ds mirror Reply with quote

Thanks Orio for expert opinion. i have lot of K lenses and and five adapters including K and will wait for reply from my colleagues. 5D Mark II is beyond my budget and 5D used is in my reach and shaving mirror is a delicate work. My 300D is out of order and unfortunately no canon authorise service center here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: I shaved my 5Ds mirror Reply with quote

gill wrote:
Is it possible to use Pentax K mount lenses without modification i.e. aperture lug is not striking the mirror?

Hi Gill,

To the best of my knowledge, K-mount lenses will themselves need to be modified. From my experiments, the aperture lug protrudes a bit more than any of the rear elements on known 'troublesome' M42 lenses. I haven't shaved the mirror yet, but it's the next step and may even happen this weekend.

If you are fortunate to own more than one of a particular lens, the removal of the aperture lug and its protective plastic guard are easy to do. I did post the images of the surgery here and will try to find them and drop them into this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: I shaved my 5Ds mirror Reply with quote

Hi Mal1905
It is easy to remove K aperture lug but intend to use Pentax lenses on other bodies. My experiment of self repairing in the past was unsuccessful and damaged lot of my equipment. I will wait ur green signal on 5D mirror shave and use of K lenses and then decide otherwise pick a low end body 350D for use of manual lenses with adapters.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good job, Orio.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I revived this older thread so I can get recommendation to use this same procedure on my new 5dmkii. Ive got eighty lenses now, but Im having a high ratio of mirror hang-up with this full frame camera. Tonight my Biotar 2/58 hung-up and Ive decided life without my Biotar is more than I can bear. Laughing
So, Orio, do I shave the same as you have with your first 5d? The 5D and 5DMKII look the same, yes, I think both the actual mirror, and the plastic housing?