Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I shaved my 5D's mirror
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

egidio wrote:
ok, so shaving brand new 5d mark2 would probably be a bad idea.

What's the workflow using live view with mirror-problematic lenses? Is it possible that you accidently exit live view mode while shooting? You have to unscrew lens after every shooting or after every shot? How is it while shooting video with such lenses? Does mirror close after you stop recording video.

Is the live view workflow easy and safe enough or its better to wait for a while and than shave mirror

thanks

It's NOT A BAD IDEA -- it's A PERFECT IDEA..

I know what I am talking about -- the whole thing is HOW..

once again:

1 - nail brush
2 - traverse grinding
3 - no RUSH -- have a patience ...

You can not BREAK anything ..

tf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
egidio wrote:

What's the workflow using live view with mirror-problematic lenses? Is it possible that you accidently exit live view mode while shooting? You have to unscrew lens after every shooting or after every shot? How is it while shooting video with such lenses? Does mirror close after you stop recording video.

Is the live view workflow easy and safe enough or its better to wait for a while and than shave mirror

thanks

once again:

1 - nail brush
2 - traverse grinding

tf

Sorry,

Thats not a good idea to do it with a brand new MKII.

First of all, the shown images are the result of doing it in the way, Trifox described and badly it has this result.

Second.. If you not hermetically sealing the mirror box, you get exactly with the fine sanding by using the nailfile so much dust in all areas of the cam, so especially if you often change the Lenses, are not really satisfied with the often neccessary sensor cleanings. Be also carefull under this aspect. The best way to shave the mirror is to do it, when the mirror or submirror is broken by accident. After i have seen what could happen i would never ever do it during the warranty first and second if the cam is not completely dismantled. For my thinking there are too much risks in doing so. There are no Lenses from older days, who really would legitimate to do this.

If the operation fails, there are more troubles the you think.

For example... if the Submirror breakes, you need to take the cam for nearly 200 Euro to a repair shop or Canon Service Point, as i did.

After receiving the repaired cam, first of all, the AF works absolutely correct, but there was no way, to focus correctly with MF Lenses..

Why?

The guys in the Canon Service Point adjust the AF Section correct, but are not really interested in a correct plane of the focussing screen.
So my AF Lenses works exactly but i have to correct the distance from the mirror to screen by myself !

This must be not normal for a Canon Service Point, but could happen if some trouble happend with shorting the mirror.

I would never think about trying this again, especially if the cam is still under warranty.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm close to ordering a 5DII, one thing i would like to know, what is the effect in the viewfinder with a shaved mirror?

I fitted my 16/2.8 Elmarit to a friends 5DMKII and the mirror just caught the lens when at infinity focus. I would like to be able to use this lens on a FF body, so it seems a mirror shave is needed.

When removing material, is it mainly material from the centre of the mirror that needs removing, or would it be better to remove the same amount across the total width of the mirror??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpo83 wrote:
I'm close to ordering a 5DII, one thing i would like to know, what is the effect in the viewfinder with a shaved mirror?

I too would like to know this.

rpo83 wrote:
I fitted my 16/2.8 Elmarit to a friends 5DMKII and the mirror just caught the lens when at infinity focus. I would like to be able to use this lens on a FF body, so it seems a mirror shave is needed.

Not necessary, the other option, depending on how far back the rear element extends, you could, depending again on if the rear element offers such a modification, file down the rear element housing rather than your mirror. Or maybe a wee-bit on the elements housing and a wee-bit on the mirror will work best?

rpo83 wrote:
When removing material, is it mainly material from the centre of the mirror that needs removing, or would it be better to remove the same amount across the total width of the mirror??

Not that I've done this, but I would image more in the center. I would measure the diameter of the rear element and shave a somewhere between 50 to 75% of that distance on the mirror.

-Roy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by shaving the mirror on 5D Mk II (I have done this successfully in my hands Smile, you're loosing 1 mm with TELE LENSES - on focal lengths 135 mm ONWARDS

anything like 85 mm tele or less - no dark edge on the top Smile

the dark edge becomes to be BIGGER when using i.e. MAKRO-PLANAR 100 and you are going to the 1:1 ...

Also

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpo83 wrote:

RPO -- don't shave the mirror just in the middle --
TAKE THE SAME amount over total length of the mirror --

it takes some time but result is VERY VERY good - I think it's the best result

you also NEED TO SHAVE CORNERS -- I know - it sounds crazy but there is plastic only -- you can not damage the mirror housing and shaving corners REALLY helps..

tf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Stan and Roy,

Roy, i wouldn't consider taking to my lenses with anything abrasive, i hope these lenses will be with me for a very long time.

Camera bodies will come and go, especially now the way technology is advancing. After using a 5DII for a brief time, it is not something that is built with the care and attention of bygone products, it is a disposable camera, the same is true of Nikon.

This week i was able to use a new Leica M9, now if Canon/Nikon were built like that!!! WOW what a camera. Unfortunately, i couldn't get to grips with the range finder, maybe with more time, but then i would have to figure out a way to afford it.. So in a way i'm happy i didn't fall in love with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Farside wrote:
Nice one; it's always good when something works out the way it should.

I decided to do it my way. I was advised to use rotary stone and file, but I didn't like the aesthetical result of the file work I could see on a web page. So I decided to go with a fine sandpaper and I am glad I did, the work looks much more professional this way, the little mirror scales that you see have gone away on the edge, are really very small, because here you are looking at a big enlargement compared to real life size.
In real life size and normal light, you almost don't notice the job.

-

I agree. Most jobs I've seen looked like a beaver did the job. Yours looks very well done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
egidio wrote:

thanks

once again:

1 - nail brush
2 - traverse grinding

tf

What do you mean by 'traverse grinding'? If the mirror is in the upper position and being horizontal to the table, does this mean you have to grind from left to right?