Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Discussion on Wide angle lenses..Takumar,Zenitar,Mir
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Discussion on Wide angle lenses..Takumar,Zenitar,Mir Reply with quote

Now i've bought my spotmatic, i am on the lookout for some lenses to go on it! Seeing as i have sold my Sigma 10-20mm on the Nikon I am yearning for some wide-angle action, and would like some pointers please!

Basically, it's the wider the better! I'm a fan of some barrelling so a fisheye wouldn't be out of the equation. I'm just not sure what to look out for (and I dont really want to pay silly money).

I really like the look of the Takumar 17mm fisheye, theres a couple on ebay but i'm assuming they are quite rare and will go for a decent price. There's also the Zenitar 16mm, but what other options do I have? I'm wanting to get my cake and eat it and not pay a massive amount!! (don't want much do I?)

thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably recommend the mir 20m. Although I haven't used it personally a friend from another forum I frequent recommends it highly. You've probably stumbled upon his site: tomtiger.com There is a section under "lenses" but also under "camera articles and repair info - Tom's small photo reports" - then "report #3." Here is a discussion in this forum that somewhat disagrees: http://forum.mflenses.com/mir-20m-t167.html - the mir 47m is probably the better choice...for another 50 bucks, if your willing to spend it.

Fact is it's probably gonna be cheaper than any of the takumar stuff and somewhat close to the quality.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tamron SP 17mm f3.5 or Tokina 17mm I prefer Tamron.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you can always try for this one: Click here to see on Ebay

haha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seller look an ...

1000 USD for a Russian fisheye ? Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This seller look an ...

1000 USD for a Russian fisheye ? Shocked

1000 USD PLUS VAT !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seller a really asshole I can't believe VAT is legal on second hand items.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll have 2!!! i agree, why should you pay VAT on something that isn't new?

thanks for the replies...looking into the Russian options Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18mm lenses test by the most serious Italian photography online magazine:

http://www.nadir.it/ob-fot/18mm_confronto/18mm.htm

Here's the English translation made by Google:

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nadir.it%2Fob-fot%2F18mm_confronto%2F18mm.htm&langpair=it%7Cen&hl=it&ie=UTF8

As you can see:

1) Zuiko first
2) Distagon second
3) Pentax third
Leica, Nikkor, Sigma and Tamron: bad.

-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooper wrote:

thanks for the replies...looking into the Russian options Smile

Basically...... if you are a VAT-registered business in the EU you are required by law to charge VAT on every invoice, whether it's for goods or services, new or old. There are exempt items and zero-rated items at the choice of each country and they can also decide their own percentage rate.

Ebay rules state that if VAT is applicable, it is included in the auction/BIN price - it is against the rules to charge it separately. The seller has to separate the VAT element of the selling price and pay it to his government, and he can claim back the VAT on legitimate expenses for running his business.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in a word he's putting the VAT he collects into his own pocket. Crook either way

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for a Tamron SP 17mm (and also a SP 90mm Embarassed ) and I hope to do dramatic captures with the 5D... for me it doesn't make sense to compare rectilinear lenses with fisheyes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Sigma 10-20mm for my Nikon and loved the distortion effects I could achieve when you altered the angle of shooting. I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoy taking these kind of shots. This is a pic I took in the summer of a ruined abbey near my parents house in Scotland....

So I wanted a lens that I will be able to achieve similar effects with (or even more pronounced barrelling). I'm not a big fan of full circular fisheyes, but have decided to take the plunge and have bought the Zenitar 16mm Fisheye! The image quality seems to be pretty good, and if I want less pronounced distortion I can use it on the Nikon! This isn't the end of the wides and I will still be on the lookout for others to spend my money on, so thanks to all!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great shot.

I look forward to shots with the zenitar - it's on my wants list.

If you want less distortion I like the Nikon 20mm 2.8 AIS.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful shot Hooper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the Zenitar. Mine gets most use as a paperweight, but I have seen pictures taken by others that are very sharp. So, I guess it boils down to buyer's luck. When working well, it is surely a remarkable lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I have read about people having problems getting infinity focus due to the lens hood, which can be rectified by adjusting a few screws. My sigma was never off my camera, so i'm pretty sure the Zenitar will get plenty of use !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooper wrote:

VAT would be chargeable if he's a trader and VAT registered. If he's not a trader and not VAT registered, then he's taking the p.