Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir-20M
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Mir-20M Reply with quote

Here's one photo to begin with - I will post more later, now I have to go.
Blooming Apricot tree, shot Sunday, in Castell'Arquato (province of Piacenza):

Direct link:

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/7474/mir20m01lv5.jpg

I'd like to consider this my tribute to Vincent Van Gogh.

It's Mir-20M on EOS 400D.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great lens, thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! MIR20 is said to be a great lens. Picture seems to prove that.

BTW: For a tribute to van Gogh, I miss some more expressionism. Wink Just kidding...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a lens I often look at on the rugift website. Used Mir-20M are normally to expensive in comparison with new ones. Orio, do you think the lens is worth the 140 Euro inkl. shipping?

Stop. Don't answer. I'm a slave of my addiction. I have to buy the lens if my account is balanced. Very Happy But I'm not sure if I should by a Mir-47M first...

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
This is a lens I often look at on the rugift website. Used Mir-20M are normally to expensive in comparison with new ones. Orio, do you think the lens is worth the 140 Euro inkl. shipping?

Sincerely?
In absolute terms, no, I don't think it's worth that money.
If limited to crop cameras only, it may be worth, to be used as a 32mm.

The best thing of this lens is the color saturation. As you know, ultra wide angles tend to desaturate color. All of them, I don't know why. But this one has great saturation. And very good sharpness. The images look great, on a crop camera. Because there you can not see the corners.
Unfortunately, the Mir-20M flares horribly in the lower corners, and there is no way to stop that. I am happy with the lens, but only because I can use it on a crop camera, where it is confined, and I already have a Flektogon to take care of the full frame needs. I bough the Mir-20M for around 90 Eur, new with the filters. But should I know what I know now about the lens, I would not probably buy it again.

So the point is: is this going to be your first 20mm lens? Then buy a better one. Is this going to be a secondary 20mm, one that you can be hapy to have confined to your crop camera, and do not need to use it on full frame? Then it can be worth tne money.

Quote:
Stop. Don't answer.

Oops... too late Wink

Quote:
But I'm not sure if I should by a Mir-47M first...

I would definitely try a Mir-47 if I knew where to find one. I am looking for it, it's on my wish list. Unfortunately, the only exemplar I saw, time ago, was sold for about 180 Eur. WIth that money, I can buy another Flek 4/20, which is probably going to be a better lens under all respects.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

direct link:
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/4372/mir20m02zn1.jpg

direct link:
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7827/mir20m03ms1.jpg

direct link:
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8968/mir20m04ty6.jpg

direct link:
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/5690/mir20m05bx0.jpg

direct link:
http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/1623/mir20m06go5.jpg

direct link:
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7498/mir20m07ac2.jpg

direct link:
http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/2072/mir20m08wd9.jpg

That's all for now. I hope that these images can help those of you interested in the lens in forming an idea.
The pictures are all taken with my 400D, and most of them at about f/8 or f/5.6 (a few are wide open though).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I noticed that edited threads do not reappear as new, here's a new message to let you know I have added a lot of Mir-20M photos here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing your mind about this lens. And for the examples.

One question left:
If I buy a Mir-20M, did I get the objects too? Yvonne and I love the northern parts of Italy very much, so I am not able judge the quality of the lens with your pictures. They are too fascinating for me Very Happy

Just kidding. I think Mir-47M comes first. Used ones normalley are also too expensive in my opinion, around 100 euro from eastern europe, so I perhaps buy a new one in the next months.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:

One question left:
If I buy a Mir-20M, did I get the objects too? Yvonne and I love the northern parts of Italy very much, so I am not able judge the quality of the lens with your pictures. They are too fascinating for me Very Happy

You don't have to buy a Mir lens to come here. You can come anytime, I have a guest room with a double bed, that can also accommodate a couple mattresses on the floor if you have your children with you (or if you want your privacy, I can accommodate the children in the studio).
I also have one available couch-bed in my studio, and a couch in the living room.
So I can host many people.
As long as I am not away myself (which seldom happens), you can stay as long as you like. So you can have a Northern Italy trip and only pay for transportation.

Borges wrote:
Just kidding. I think Mir-47M comes first. Used ones normalley are also too expensive in my opinion, around 100 euro from eastern europe, so I perhaps buy a new one in the next months.
Michael

I agree, buying a new one is the best choice. Used ones cost almost as much and you never know what you get.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

You don't have to buy a Mir lens to come here. You can come anytime...

Hey, thank you very much for your generous offering. Who knows, perhaps it come true one day. My parents in law are living in Tyrol, not so far away from Italy Very Happy

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:

Hey, thank you very much for your generous offering. Who knows, perhaps it come true one day. My parents in law are living in Tyrol, not so far away from Italy Very Happy
Michael

It will be nice to meet you.
The offer is valid also for all the regular members of this forum. We as photographers know how good is to see new places and photo opportunities, and at the same time, we invest a lot of money in the equipment, so if we can help each other with saving money on travels, it is only good.
Actually, I think I will make it a sticky in the Lounge forum.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Borges wrote:

Michael

It will be nice to meet you.
The offer is valid also for all the regular members of this forum. We as photographers know how good is to see new places and photo opportunities, and at the same time, we invest a lot of money in the equipment, so if we can help each other with saving money on travels, it is only good.
Actually, I think I will make it a sticky in the Lounge forum.

This is very nice from you Orio, you have beautiful homeland , this is very good opportunity! Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely pictures Orio. My favourite is the fountain, but I like the ones of the narrow streets too. I can see a strong similarity in colour rendition to my Mir-24.

What's your opinion about this series with the M-20? I haven't compared directly, but my memory is telling me these pictures are perhaps not quite as jaw-dropping as the Flek 4/20 series you did a couple of months ago.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderful area you live in!

Carsten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Lovely pictures Orio. My favourite is the fountain, but I like the ones of the narrow streets too. I can see a strong similarity in colour rendition to my Mir-24.
What's your opinion about this series with the M-20? I haven't compared directly, but my memory is telling me these pictures are perhaps not quite as jaw-dropping as the Flek 4/20 series you did a couple of months ago.

Well, maybe the fact that the place is not new anymore to you, plays a role Smile
If I remember correctly, I used the Flek on the 5D then - so real 20mm pictures, much more "breath" - here the Mir is on the 400D, so you see the equivalent of a 32mm field of view.
As I said it's impossible to mount the Mir-20M on the 5D because of corner flare.
The sharpness and color of Mir-20M are perhaps even better than Flek's out of the box. Where there is no match at all is distortion. With the Flek, if i am careful to keep the camera in alignement with the horizon, I get a perfect picture without the need of correction. With the Mir-20M, I get a barrel distortion on vertical lines. It's not that bad, I have seen worse distortion (from Nikon's 20mm for instance), but still there is no match with the Flek 4/20, which is the architect's lens of dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
What a wonderful area you live in!
Carsten

Lots of castles here Wink Some are open to public, some are private and you can not get in.

Yes the good thing about Italy is that every village, even the smallest one, has something old and beautiful. Most of these things go lost to the public attention, because there are so many, that not even the most complete tourist guide can list them all. Foreign tourist will never know of these and never see them. I have seen churches in small villages of only a few houses, that just take you breath away. Some even as old as the 11th century. I am actually considering a series about these unknown beauties, before they may lose to "progress", and disappear.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
...I have seen churches in small villages of only a few houses, that just take you breath away. Some even as old as the 11th century. I am actually considering a series about these unknown beauties, before they may lose to "progress", and disappear.

This series is a great idea!
A good friend of mine and I are planning a similar thing for some places here in our region.

Carsten