Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss lens question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss lens question Reply with quote

I have come into possesion of a Carl Zeiss Super-Dynarex 4/135 lens M42.

Anyone have one or know anything about them. It has no filter threads, only a groove for some kind of attachment.

Thanks for your help.

gus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a lens for the Icarex TM camera.
The lenses for Icarex all have a bayonet mount for lens hood.
Optically, the lens is nothing but the Tele-Tessar with a different name. The Dynarex name belonged to Voigtlaender and at the moment Zeiss bought Voigtlaender, for some obscure marketing decision the lenses for the Icarex (also a Voigtlaender project taken over by Zeiss) were kept labelled Dynarex, while in the same period Zeiss was producing the same lens for the Contarex line and for Rollei, and in both cases the lens were named Tele-Tessar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Thank you Orio Reply with quote

Thanks Orio,

Wow, that was a fast and knowledgeable response. Is the Voight / Zeiss Tele Tessar considered a low/mid grade lens?
I guessed that the bayonet grooves were for some kind of hood or filter attachment, but interestingly the lens has a built in sliding hood so I was a bit confused. I wonder how they did mount filters on them?

Again thanks for the answers. It is much appreciated.

gus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, didn't LucisPictor have a copy of this lens?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, here was the post: http://forum.mflenses.com/shes-a-beauty-t7010,highlight,dynarex.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Thanks Moleman Reply with quote

Thanks Moleman,
That is the lens... only mine is the M42 version. That is quite a rescue that LucisPictor made on that bayonet version.

You guys have been very helpful. Now to go take some shots with it. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Orio Reply with quote

Gus Helios wrote:
Thanks Orio,
Wow, that was a fast and knowledgeable response. Is the Voight / Zeiss Tele Tessar considered a low/mid grade lens?
gus

Tele Tessar/Dynarex was the "budget" 135mm in the Icarex and Contarex lens lines.
The top 135mm for Contarex (I don't think it existed for Icarex since Icarex was a budget camera to start with) was the Sonnar 2.8/135 (which later was reincarned in the Contax line, with such a substantial price decrease that the Tele-Tessar 135 lost it's purpose and wasn't migrated to the Contax line, and the Sonnar became the budget lens while the Planar 135 was introduced as top lens)
However keep in mind that "budget lens" in Zeiss world does not mean bad or cheap lens at all! It just means it's a very good lens that is just a step under an excellent lens.

Optically, the Tele-Tessar are interesting lenses. They don't have the 3D and the "pop" of the Sonnars. However they have a very controlled, "classical" I would say, rendition and for the tastes of some, that can be even a plus. Bokeh is very good (not as fantastic as in the Sonnar, but very very good).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss lens question Reply with quote

Gus Helios wrote:
I have come into possesion of a Carl Zeiss Super-Dynarex 4/135 lens M42.

Anyone have one or know anything about them. It has no filter threads, only a groove for some kind of attachment.

Thanks for your help.

gus

I've been using one recently and wish I'd used it before.
http://forum.mflenses.com/more-deckel-mount-voigtlaender-135-t15858.html