Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

500mm Mirror Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, Dlaor. I know well how difficult the bird-in-flight.


PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Nice job, Dlaor. I know well how difficult the bird-in-flight.


Thanks woodrim. You're right, only in 1 out of 10 bif photos or so I come close to truly "nailing focus", as I believe I did in the photo I posted.

But when I do get them right it I enjoy it greatly. It's amazing to have a 800 grams camera/lens combo with 500mm focus length, it allows me to walk around all day without really noticing that I'm holding it.


PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the strength of some of the samples in this thread, i endeavored to find a sigma 600mm and was successful this weekend in catching an OM-mount variant at a very reasonable price (albeit without hood or filters) - it arrived today, and i only had a small bit of evening after work in which to try it out, but the initial handheld results are quite promising imho:


#1


#2


#3


#4


can't wait to take it out birdwatching in proper full daylight, maybe even with a tripod!


PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that you may have been lucky to get a good one. Needs the usual contrast boost but seems sharp enough. From what I have seen, the Sigma often suffers from mirror surface damage from separation or, more often, haze and fungus.


PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a whim, I have purchased but not yet received this lens. The curiosity got to me. It has no brand markings, nor country of manufacture. It has a P-6 mount which the seller claims is not interchangeable. I do not know the focal length. The grip is very similar, if not exactly like what I have on my Rubinar. The center obstruction is also similar to Rubinar. The funky, offset, two-row grip at the very front is unusual. The distance scale goes to 200' with its marking. I'm wondering if the numeral fonts might lend a hint as to country of manufacture.


#1


#2


PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
It appears that you may have been lucky to get a good one. Needs the usual contrast boost but seems sharp enough. From what I have seen, the Sigma often suffers from mirror surface damage from separation or, more often, haze and fungus.


as best i can tell from outside, it just needs some dust cleaned up, no haze or fungus or mirror problems apparent.. got very lucky indeed


PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
On a whim, I have purchased but not yet received this lens. The curiosity got to me. It has no brand markings, nor country of manufacture. It has a P-6 mount which the seller claims is not interchangeable. I do not know the focal length. The grip is very similar, if not exactly like what I have on my Rubinar. The center obstruction is also similar to Rubinar. The funky, offset, two-row grip at the very front is unusual. The distance scale goes to 200' with its marking. I'm wondering if the numeral fonts might lend a hint as to country of manufacture.


seems the out-of-focus red text in the first pic might also hold some clues.. very interesting!


PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:

seems the out-of-focus red text in the first pic might also hold some clues.. very interesting!


oh it just says pentacon six, doesn't it


PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That front section with the two rows of ribbing might be a slide-out shade, yes?

The fact that it has a scale for both feet and meters indicates it was likely intended for sale in the USA.

Interesting, a mirror for a P6. If it covers the frame that would actually be a special lens. I don't know offhand of any other mirrors that were designed for medium format. They probably exist, I just don't know of any. Nonetheless, if it covers the frame, that is uncommon.


PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
That front section with the two rows of ribbing might be a slide-out shade, yes?

The fact that it has a scale for both feet and meters indicates it was likely intended for sale in the USA.

Interesting, a mirror for a P6. If it covers the frame that would actually be a special lens. I don't know offhand of any other mirrors that were designed for medium format. They probably exist, I just don't know of any. Nonetheless, if it covers the frame, that is uncommon.


You see how I got curious and caught up in it. There was at least one other medium format made by Mamiya Sekor. I see them for sale on occasion but there is rarely ever anything said about them.


PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
On a whim, I have purchased but not yet received this lens.
It has a P-6 mount which the seller claims is not interchangeable.




The Pentacon Six mount uses three-lobed, not four-lobed bayonet like the lens above.


PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
The Pentacon Six mount uses three-lobed, not four-lobed bayonet like the lens above.


could that be a P6-to-Hasselblad V adaptor fixed to it?


PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gerald"]
woodrim wrote:
On a whim, I have purchased but not yet received this lens.
It has a P-6 mount which the seller claims is not interchangeable.


The Pentacon Six mount uses three-lobed, not four-lobed bayonet like the lens above.


Good eye. There is a P-6 to Contax 645 adapter on it.


PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to expand the discussion to any ideas why a lens would have no brand marking or country of origin. Any ideas? When I receive the lens, I will be able to determine focal length and aperture by comparing to my other mirrors. I'll also confirm whether or not the mount is permanent. Image circle size won't be as easy but if truly a medium format, I should see no vignetting on my full frame.


PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a blank wall with a window on the facing wall, to determine the image circle, just hold the lens up to the blank wall, rear of the lens facing the wall, front of the lens facing the window. Move the lens back and forth until the image is in focus. Your image circle will be displayed on the wall. This is also a way to check registration from the lens to the focal plane.


PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I'd like to expand the discussion to any ideas why a lens would have no brand marking or country of origin. Any ideas? When I receive the lens, I will be able to determine focal length and aperture by comparing to my other mirrors. I'll also confirm whether or not the mount is permanent. Image circle size won't be as easy but if truly a medium format, I should see no vignetting on my full frame.


from poking around online, it looks to me like it could be a rubinar that's missing it's front-most ring (which has most of the identifying markings on it) or perhaps the hood, maybe with no marks of origin to skirt ussr import/export issues in the 80s? (i have other soviet gear that has a "MADE IN USSR" sticker or stamp, rather than being part of the design)


PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or its the rubinar 8/500 seen on the far right here, as the bottom markings (especially the infinity sign overprinting the 200) match up



and someone put aftermarket grip rings on the front, covering all the russian markings[/img]


PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
or its the rubinar 8/500 seen on the far right here, as the bottom markings (especially the infinity sign overprinting the 200) match up

and someone put aftermarket grip rings on the front, covering all the russian markings[/img]


Good work. I found out last evening but was too tired to report back here. It is indeed a Rubinar 8/500 which was rebranded (or just sold) as a Hartblei for Pentacon Six. The funky outer grip is the Hartblei thing but very well may cover Rubinar markings as you speculate - good guess. I may be able to determine that very quickly if the grip isn't glued down well. I'd rather preserve it as it is - as a Hartblei for the rarity factor.

Thanks for your help. The USSR tax explanation is another good explanation.


PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-Reflex-Takumar-67-1000mm-F8-Lens.html

Quote by Pentax Forums user desertscape

Quote:
This post is a review for informational purposes, as I don't own this lens. The 1000mm Reflex-Takumar is probably the rarest lens for the Pentax 67 system. There is also very little information about it. This mirror lens has a 7 inch diameter and weighs just slightly more than the 600mm f/4 Takumar; not bad for a 1 meter focal length lens. As one would expect, it is for use on the outer bay of the P67 lens mount. There is no diaphragm, which is typical for mirror lenses. It is set at f/8 which is determined by its optical design. I have a background in optics and I must say that I have never seen a design like this lens. It is obviously a Maksutov Cassegrain from the telescope world, however it does not resemble any known type in that category. Instead of having a meniscus up front as the first element, it has a weak positive element, followed by a meniscus. The slightly converging light beam reflects off of a concave mirror (probably spherical) and then to the secondary mirror that is attached to the meniscus. From there, light is passed through a hole in the primary mirror and through the rear lens group. There are two mirrors and seven refracting elements. Focusing is done via large knobs, just like the 600 Takumar. This lens comes with built-in ND, Skylight, Y2 and R2 filters that can be rotated into place. Exposure can only be changed by the ND filter and shutter speed, since this lens has no diaphragm. Because of this, DOF changes are impossible. This lens is best suited for narrow focus subjects like birds or mammals at distance, although certain near infinity shots could be had as well. Since Pentax has stopped producing these lenses, I have only seen one for sale on the used market. The price of this lens when new was $5900. US.




PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
The funky outer grip is the Hartblei thing but very well may cover Rubinar markings as you speculate - good guess. I may be able to determine that very quickly if the grip isn't glued down well. I'd rather preserve it as it is - as a Hartblei for the rarity factor. .


awesome, will be hilarious if the cyrillic markings are still under there Laugh 1


PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran across a couple more shots I took with my Tamron 500mm.





PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went birding last week with a friend who was rolling a Fuji X-T3 with 100-400 OIS AF against my monopod posted Reflex-Nikkor 500mm F8 on a Sony a6300.

I think I had more fun as all the focus and tracking settings could be made in my head. He had to flip through menus and would become frustrated with his camera. Not that it wasn't working great. I am sure it was, but it had a mind of its own.





















PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:


awesome, will be hilarious if the cyrillic markings are still under there Laugh 1


They're not - one of the first things I checked.


PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlazerOne: Which model Nikkor? Looks quite good.


PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
BlazerOne: Which model Nikkor? Looks quite good.



Thanks!

It would be the original release Reflex-Nikkor 500mm F8 with leather accessories.

Most of the out of camera photos were neutral and lacked any depth or feel, but I was also shooting with the Sony standard scene mode.

On average very slight contrast and saturation were added in post. The scene mode was set to landscape afterwards with some EV pull to keep the highlights in check. I think the last two settings made the biggest impact. Sharpening was balanced with the high ISO prior to posting online.